The Outer Worlds (Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division) [XO, PS4]

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
Watch the official announcement trailer for The Outer Worlds, a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division.

In The Outer Worlds, you awake from hibernation on a colonist ship that was lost in transit to Halcyon, the furthest colony from Earth located at the edge of the galaxy, only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy it. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

Been a while since they haven’t done work other than an isometric. Looking forward to this!

Well, this instantly goes onto my want to play list. :)

The original Fallout creators having a hand in this is just a huge bonus to Obsidian working on it. So that's like Storytelling taken to a higher plane. O.O

Regards,
SB

Well, this instantly goes onto my want to play list. :)

The original Fallout creators having a hand in this is just a huge bonus to Obsidian working on it. So that's like Storytelling taken to a higher plane. O.O

Regards,
SB
that, plus hearing the words "single player" made me feel moved

I watched the Game Informer gameplay and this level of humour is not appealing to me. I hopped it was be dark humour like the original Fallout games but this is a different vibe entirely. It also feels from the dialogue options that responses are limited, e.g. when they use intimidate options the NPC responds like someone not intimidated with the actual dialogue feeling flat and the actual response that could have been to any of the other dialogue options.

This happens a lot in New Vegas too, where many options would about exploiting some XP and had little impact on the conversation tree itself. The cost of voicing everything I guess.

I watched the Game Informer gameplay and this level of humour is not appealing to me. I hopped it was be dark humour like the original Fallout games but this is a different vibe entirely. It also feels from the dialogue options that responses are limited, e.g. when they use intimidate options the NPC responds like someone not intimidated with the actual dialogue feeling flat and the actual response that could have been to any of the other dialogue options.

This happens a lot in New Vegas too, where many options would about exploiting some XP and had little impact on the conversation tree itself. The cost of voicing everything I guess.
I agree. I hope the dialog picks up. This might be early stuff, but the dialog isn’t as inline as I’m used to. But then again, after playing torment and PoE, which is basically novella reading, perhaps they are struggling with getting back to smaller texts.

https://www.techpowerup.com/250506/...ree-of-microtransactions-releases-screenshots

Obsidian Entertainment, which have recently announced their latest videogame in the form of "The Outer Worlds", have now come out of woodwork to assuage some fears gamers might have. In an increasingly microtransaction-ridden digital world, and perhaps not helped by the Microsoft acquisition that Obsidian Entertainment has undergone, fears of microtransactions being added to the game that's expected to be a Fallout spiritual successor naturally grew. Timothy Cain, original creator of Fallout, in an interview with Gamestar, put those thoughts to rest. He said, in no uncertain terms that "There are no microtransactions in the game. You buy it once and then enjoy it forever."

This comes out Friday and is getting genuinely good reviews yet it's getting little buzz and I can't bring myself to be excited by it. Tonally it just does't appeal.

Is anybody planning on getting it? If so, what is selling it to you? I've probably missed some cool coverage!

This comes out Friday and is getting genuinely good reviews yet it's getting little buzz and I can't bring myself to be excited by it. Tonally it just does't appeal.

Is anybody planning on getting it? If so, what is selling it to you? I've probably missed some cool coverage!
I got really excited about it after looking at reviews saying "fallout-like", "spiritual successor to fallout", "best fallout type game of the decade", etc....

But the trailers and videos are not really showing a fallout vibe at all. This seems completely different in tone and thematic development. I might take a chance on it, but I have yet to see anything where the fallout reference is justified, other than the overall game genre.

Edit: a few more reviews are unanimous that the entire gameplay is identical to fallout. But instead of dark style and humor, it's more whimsical and a colorful palette. I guess it depends which aspect of fallout people liked.

Last edited:
Back