PlayStation classic 99 dollars (3rd December 2018)

Interesting choice. I wonder if there are many Europeans who felt the games were suddenly speedier than they remembered, and if that was maybe a disappointment to somebody. I mean, out of the two dozen Europeans who owned home consoles instead of computers during the 80's and early 90's.
I doubt they will be disappointed. Especially with games like Tekken

I doubt they will be disappointed. Especially with games like Tekken
well, when so much of the appeal is nostalgia, think of a more casual consumer who doesn't even know about NTSC/PAL differences in games, and just wants to see the games from his childhood how he remembers them...

well, when so much of the appeal is nostalgia, think of a more casual consumer who doesn't even know about NTSC/PAL differences in games, and just wants to see the games from his childhood how he remembers them...

This is what I'm saying, it's a means to an end - this is more for that nostalgic fix/experience than for proper emulating.

For £90 you can buy better devices but they don't look as 'cute' as this or offer a complete 'nostalgic' experience.

I appreciate people want xx game and 'the best version' but this isn't made for you, Sony know you already emulate elsewhere...this is aimed at people like me who collect or people who want to buy a gift for someone who can afford this and know the recipient plays/loves PlayStation games.

I am nostalgic and I was considering buying one for my collection. Not anymore :p
The young casual in the 90s is not that casual anymore. The 14 year old that was playing tekken is now in his 30s+. and cashing in €99 for a special edition of that console for his nice collection is anything but a casual :p
And also consider this. Why would a nostalgic casual in the US have a compromised experience so that a EU casual can have his compromised PAL experience?

Last edited:
Not all consumers are the same. There is the odd dude out there that never games anymore for the past 30 years, but saw an ad for the classic mini and went and bought it because 90 bucks isn't so much money for many adults anyway, and when he plays the game is slightly faster than what he remembers, and probably he doesn't even know of such things as PAL/NTSC speed gap, and can't even put a finger on what is different, but he just feels like somehow that game is somewhat off from what he used to remember playing. That's all.
Keep in mind this was a comment based on how someone informed me the NES classic mini handles regions, and in that case it happens that Everybody gets the US NTSC version but Japan which gets the Japanese version.
I don't think the ideal is for everybody to get PAL. As I just said a mere couple posts back, I consider ideal the machine coming with all versions of each game with the version from the region the kit was sold at set as the default.

Not all consumers are the same. There is the odd dude out there that never games anymore for the past 30 years, but saw an ad for the classic mini and went and bought it because 90 bucks isn't so much money for many adults anyway, and when he plays the game is slightly faster than what he remembers, and probably he doesn't even know of such things as PAL/NTSC speed gap, and can't even put a finger on what is different,

The NES/SNES classics + a modern TV have much higher input lag than the originals on a CRT. That is biggest difference you would feel.

Not all consumers are the same. There is the odd dude out there that never games anymore for the past 30 years, but saw an ad for the classic mini and went and bought it because 90 bucks isn't so much money for many adults anyway, and when he plays the game is slightly faster than what he remembers, and probably he doesn't even know of such things as PAL/NTSC speed gap, and can't even put a finger on what is different, but he just feels like somehow that game is somewhat off from what he used to remember playing. That's all.
Keep in mind this was a comment based on how someone informed me the NES classic mini handles regions, and in that case it happens that Everybody gets the US NTSC version but Japan which gets the Japanese version.
I don't think the ideal is for everybody to get PAL. As I just said a mere couple posts back, I consider ideal the machine coming with all versions of each game with the version from the region the kit was sold at set as the default.
Is it productive to only count a select group of people among the many and use that sample to deduce whether the product's shortcomings are passable?
The ideal and especially when you consider today's displays, was to make all consoles run at 60hz or have the option to choose 60 or 50hz as you suggested. That would have been a nice touch.
But all Playstation classics regardless of region play a group of games at 50hz and the other group at 60hz.
So for example all play Tekken at 50Hz and MGS at 60hz regardless if you are in US, Japan or EU.
The european Playstation gamer is more likely to have forgotten how it was to play games in slow motion and be put off today. In addition current TVs introduce pacing issues with 50hz which makes Sony's choice of 50hz an odd choice.
Mind you that we were put off by Tekken's slow speed in the 90s. Let alone today and let alone the US player who has always enjoyed proper game play.

By all means, play station's solution not only isn't the ideal, it's the worst possible.

Not even close. The only things similar is the use of an ARM family CPU and PowerVR designed GPU. Recycling Vita HW would mean using the same hardware, not similar hardware (or even vaguely related hardware).
which one is more powerful? The PSP runs PS1 games with flying colours.

It seems like Sony (SIE) outsourced everything to the lowest bidder and didn't care about quality. If this is an indication for future products the coming years does not look good for people invested in the Playstation platform.

Shows lack of vision in my opinion. This is not just money grab, although it is that too, but it's in large part a branding project. Nintendo's NES and SNES classic were not perfect, but Nintendo showed signs of "getting it" in that aspect. They love patting themselves on the back for their past, it's in the company's DNA at this point.

It seems like Sony (SIE) outsourced everything to the lowest bidder and didn't care about quality. If this is an indication for future products the coming years does not look good for people invested in the Playstation platform.
Smacks of Konami's treatment of the Silent Hill series with the HD remake.

Shows lack of vision in my opinion. This is not just money grab, although it is that too, but it's in large part a branding project. Nintendo's NES and SNES classic were not perfect, but Nintendo showed signs of "getting it" in that aspect. They love patting themselves on the back for their past, it's in the company's DNA at this point.
this is how I see it, you can't make a product that so many people enjoyed sooooo much with such apathy and indolence. Having to bring your AC adapter in your pocket kinda describes it. I'd make the PS classic portable tbh

this is how I see it, you can't make a product that so many people enjoyed sooooo much with such apathy and indolence.

Yes you can. The original PlayStation was released twenty three years ago and many of the people who enjoyed games on that machine have either moved or or just aren't interested in spending money on something they can do already for free (emulators). In terms of ROI it would be foolhardy to invest a lot of time and money in this venture given there has been general apathy to re-releasing PlayStation classics on Sony's other platforms over the years.

If Sony struggle to classic games for a few quid to people still invested in PlayStation (and classics have been available on PSP, PS3, PS Vita and PS4), how many hardware units do you think they'll sell to people who aren't for ten times as much?

This is a business.

Back