Battlefield V

Scott_Arm

Legend
No PC thread. Crazy.

Ended up picking it up, despite my negative initial impressions from the beta. Game is actually very good. They did a great job with the weapons. Removing spotting from the game is probably the best single improvement they've made to the game in quite a while.

Sadly, the worst map in the game was the initial map from the beta. The rest of the maps are great, and varied. Breakthrough is the best 64 player mode, and Frontline is the best small mode and probably my favourite mode overall.

Bombers need a bit of a nerf, and a few weapons need to be balanced, but overall the game plays exceptionally well. The main issue I have is with terrain navigation. Sometimes you end up sliding down inclines in a weird way, or you'll get caught up and have to vault over small bumps that you shoudl be able to walk over. Overall, there are no showstoppers.

Network performance has been very good. No issues. Solid launch. Better than BF1. In some ways better than BF4, in some ways worse. I'd rate it above BF3 easily.

The fact that they dropped the season pass nonsense is probably one of the best things about the game. No more splitting up the player base because of varied dlc ownership. Everyone gets the maps, and the first new map comes next week. There's going to be a lot of content. Can't wait for the BR mode. Based on the guns, the movement, the destruction and the overall graphics, it could be a real winner.

Oh, and I'm playing on a gtx1060 6GB, ryzen 1700x and 16GB of 3200 ddr4. Nothing is overclocked. Playing at 1080p with a framerate of around 80-120 (I'm playing g-sync on 144Hz), depending on the map and situation. Kind of an odd build, but the gtx1060 runs the game quite well.

I'd have to review my settings, but I think they're fov 71, HBAO, TAA High, lighting high, post-processing low, effects low, textures high, texture filter high, mesh high, terrain high and undergrowth low. post-processing medium/low disables SSR and I really set that one low for performance reasons. Effects I also set low for performance, but other than the quality of the smoke I don't notice much difference. It also gives you a bit of an edge having it on low, because the smoke is a bit easier to see through. Undergrowth I set to low immediately because you're at too much of a disadvantage if you don't. The texture settings are weird because low and ultra don't look much different. I just set it too high, in case I had some VRAM limits for ultra. Haven't played with it much.

For the visuals, I think lighting, and the terrain setting actually give you most of the visuals, and AO does give a nice visual benefit. Post-processing is probably the other important one, but it's the biggest performance killer.

Last edited:
Maybe you should set the wall settings to low so you can see through them as well :LOL:

I've been meaning to try this out on access but I've been spending any gaming time in RDR2.

I've picked this up as well. The game is really fun and I'm enjoying it; however, it still does feel like an unfinished product.

The good:
The gun play is fun, it performs well, some of the maps are really cool (Hamada, Devestation, Arras), some of the changes like spotting, healing, and squad revives are really good. So far I love playing with the medium machine guns that force you to use the bipod. I think that's a coool mechanic.

The bad:
UI, UI, UI, UI, UI, I can't say that enough. It as if someone designed a mobile interface that looks cool, but is completely nonfunctional. It's really confusing. I should be able to upgrade weapons and fully customize them in game as I unlock stuff and not have quit out or try to do it in the 15 seconds between matches. When do we have a separate squad spawn and deloy screen? Those can be combined into one like in the other BFs where you see the squad view in the a corner window. Everything seems to take too many clicks.
I find enemy soldiers really hard to spot. Worse then other games. They really blend in with the levels here.
TTK needs some tweaking as soon as I'm shot, I have no time to react. Some reviewer mentioned that this is a netcode issue, but I don't know. Hardcore mode on BF4 seemed to give me more time before I'm dead.

The rest: They need more maps. One of the things that drove me away from BF1 and back to BF4 was the lack of content. They need to be consistent and timely with releases. Ideally, we wouldn't see a new BF until 2021 and this one would be supported until then.

The reveal trailer should have looked like the Devastation map.

The ui is pretty bad. I imagine there's a lot of people playing that don't realize each gun has a skill tree they can customize.

Are you sure thats right for 16:9 (or is that vertical fov)

ps: how's the single player?

That's vertical fov. Should be 103 horizontal at 16:9, which is pretty much what I use for pubg, overwatch, so it feels right. I don't like the fish-eye look.

For some reason, on the fov adjustment, the game shows you the calculation for 4:3 display, so it'll tell you to set vertical fov to 87 to get 103 horizontal.

I haven't touched the single player. Not sure when, or if, I will. For single player I'm working on Red Dead Redemption 2, and I have a bunch of other single player games on xbox I'll probably play first. BFV is my multiplayer fix.

Also, I'm being a typical battlefield asshole and learning to snipe, but at least I'm very aggressive and try to sit on the objective and quick scope people at short range ... It "works." Still finding my way back into pc shooters. Was never a sniper player in any fps game, so its a new skill to learn all those flick shots. Also learning to play at a much lower sensitivity with a large mouse pad.

I've seen some guides on how to find roughly a good sensitivity. I've got something that I think is pretty close, but my aim still feels a bit unstable. I'm copying my sensitivity from Overwatch, which feels pretty good, but I'm not a great sniper in that game either. If I turn my sens down any further I feel like I lose my tracking speed if I'm strafing up close and end up lagging my target. Probably just need more hours. Overall, I'm usually top half on my team, so I'm not doing terribly.

BFV has a setting called uniform soldier aiming, or something like that, which basically uses Counter Strike's method of adjusting sensitivity for your scope view so it feels like the same sens as your hip fire.

Last edited:
You could get a mouse which will let you change dpi on the fly for sniping
ps: battlefield 2 was the game that stopped me playing multiplayer fps's

You could get a mouse which will let you change dpi on the fly for sniping
ps: battlefield 2 was the game that stopped me playing multiplayer fps's

Yah, mine will let me do that. I think I'm just going to keep practicing and see if I can get used to having one sensitivity.

Why'd BF3 make you stop playing multiplayer? Too addictive? ;)

I've been playing this game for almost a month now. I think this game is really fun and much, much better then BF1. Not as good as BF4 though (yet) .

However, I cannot understand what Dice is doing or who/how they are arriving at the decisions that they are making. If you guys haven't followed the TTK/TTD debacle that occurred, it was something that could have killed the game. Luckily they reverted the changes (I think EA wanted the original change) https://www.pcgamer.com/battlefield-5s-guns-are-going-back-to-normal-thank-goodness/

For this game to really succeed, I think it will need very good and very consistent long term support. Ideally, that would be 2 more years of content. One of the things that made me fall off BF1 was just a lack of updates and new content. It was painfully slow whereas BF4 released an new map pack every 3-4 months in the first year and even got a new map or two 2-3 years after the fact. There was always something new.

I know Dice wanted to attract more players, but I don't think you can do that by fundamentally changing the game and driving away the core audience (like this TTK change would have). Support the game, fix the bugs, and the audience will grow. If EA wants a big causal shooter, then they need new IP (Anthem?) and not try to morph a beloved game into something it's not.

I really hope this game succeeds and they don't rush out a new BF game too soon.

...and not try to morph a beloved game into something it's not.

But...but...that's what EA loves to DO. Just look at Dragon Age, morphed. Or Mass Effect, morphed. Or Dungeon Keeper...that memory is too painful. And so many other games I used to love that I've forgotten about because of EA.

Regards,
SB

Now that I've had some significant time with the game, I have a few major gripes.

No real standout maps. This one is pretty big. There just isn't a map that I get excited for. The maps are pretty nice looking, but the way they play there's just something missing.

The image sharpening to mask TAA softness. The image quality is actually kind of horrible. I imagine if you're playing at high resolution and with the settings high/ultra you won't notice it so much. I'm playing on a GTX1060, so I keep some things low, some things medium, some things high. The image sharpening they apply is very apparent, and it looks horrible, and there's no way to turn it off. I'd honestly prefer to use something other than TAA and deal with more aliasing then have the image sharpening.

Tides of war. Not only is it kind of bugged where it won't register progress, it funnels you into conquest mode. Conquest mode kind of sucks. Frontlines is by far the best mode, but if you play frontlines you can't earn any of the Tides of War unlocks, which includes new guns. There shouldn't never be unlockable weapons in a game like this. Everyone should have full access to all of the guns. Cosmetics, sure. Weapons, no.

I kind of agree on the maps. I wish there were some more and more stand out ones.

I really love the look of the Hamada map, but i kind of really hate that map. Especially since one team starts controlling all the objectives in Conquest. I want more urban maps.

I'm still on BF1. I don't know why people shit on this game. It's no bad company 2 but still fun as hell.

I'm enjoying this surprisingly much. It's the same old Battlefield. But the gunplay is much improved from BF1, theres building fortifications and no spotting. So yeah, a good one, though very familiar...

Battlefield V has a oversharped picture from which I get eye cancer. That wasn't the case in BETA. PP and TAA on low settings help significantly. Otherwise it becomes unplayable. Afterwards I upload comparison pictures.

Battlefield V has a oversharped picture from which I get eye cancer. That wasn't the case in BETA. PP and TAA on low settings help significantly. Otherwise it becomes unplayable. Afterwards I upload comparison pictures.

I really dislike the sharpening as well. Would be nice to be able to control the sharpening strength.

Film grain is enebled in both screenshots.

TAA high and PP high
BF_Oversharping.jpg

TAA low and PP low
Battlefield_less Oversharpening.jpg

Ringing is clearly visible in the first screenshot.

TAA low and PP low rescued the game for me. Unlike Dice's previous games, TAA smoothes out equally well in both settings while TAA high is only adding post sharpening.

Some gamers using this

Still looks better than Minecraft or Ark on Switch to me. :D

Last edited:
Back