Poll: What's your minimum framerate?

When choosing graphics settings, what's your minimum framerate to aim for?

• Don't care how low it goes as long as the pretties are oh so pretty!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Above 60 fps. Anything less than 100 fps is a juddery mess

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
The results from the 'what settings do you use' poll contradicts with the the common story about PC gamers preferring framerate to console gamers. As a partner poll, this one asks specifically about framerate choice to see if PC gamers (on B3D ;)) are actually happy with 30 fps or whether 'prioritise quality' actually assumes a higher framerate baseline.

My primary monitor has a 60Hz refresh, so it is little use to shoot for better than a solid 60Hz. On the other hand, that was the reason I gamed on a high-end Sony CRT until 2014. Now I also have a 144Hz Freesync LCD monitor, and of course when I use that, it is because I specifically want that higher frame rate. In all honesty though, I rarely play those games. The image quality of the 144Hz monitor being so much worse than the 60Hz one contributes to my settling for the lower frame rate.

no "varies, depending on the game"?

twitch shooters and side scrollers (or isometric scrollers) = 60fps minimum
not so twitchy shooters and majority of games = 30 fps minimum

this is because i still can tolerate lag but utterly cant unsee the slideshow of 30fps when the camera pans on elatively flat plane :(

It's a very personal question. Some games are totally fine with 30fps, while some games that try to reach 60fps (but don't) would look better with a rock solid 30fps. In my eyes, and with no VFR tech.

That was answered in the other poll. What I'm wanting to correlate is what 'prefer quality over framerate' from the other thread means. When asking this of console gamers, the choice is 30 fps or 60 fps, so 'prefer quality' means 30 fps. But for PC, I don't know if 'prefer quality over framerate' means 30 fps or 60 fps - it could be that 60 fps is considered 'low framerate' and the quality settings for those who 'prefer quality' actually assume a minimum 60 fps instead of being willing to go as low as 30.

I've gsync so I aim for consistency in graphical settings. Even when i hit 144 and drop down to 80, I'll feel that, I can't see it, but you'll feel it temporarily. Large fluctuations can be felt despite the high frame rate dropping to still high frame rate. So i'll find ways to keep my frame rate distribution tighter.

On PC vsync or gsync for me however, hard to go back to unlocked frames going all over the place.

I started gaming on PC much more on the past years and I find myself preferring solid 60fps no matter the cost to IQ. The only exception are non action games that have a 30fps cap option. If I can't cap, I still try to hit 60 to avoid the varying stutter.
Then there are games like HOB that I recently had that had dips no matter how low the quality was, so I said fuck it and cranked everything to 11 because it made no difference to the shit performance.

Agreed should be an option
something like an adventure game doesnt really matter but a simulation higher = better
I remember on the Descent 2 boards someone claimed you really needed over 200fps (I dont know if they were correct)
but they had all the calculations (ship movement per frame, laser movement per frame ect) and it all seemed to make sense

I think a consistent 30 is a bare minimum below that wouldn't be percieved as a smooth animation. Even then 30 isn't great but it's bearable.

What I consider bearable now is different from what i considered bearable as a kid tho. I played probably hundreds of hours at least of star fox which spent most of it's time at like 15 fps. And it was pretty much fine, felt a little jerky but was very playable. Nowadays that would be way too slow.

Same thing with some early 3d pc games. They ran badly on my PC at the time but I had no way to improve it so just kinda beared it. Was still enjoyable.

I guess it depends how spoiled you are. Once you're spoiled on high framerate it's hard/impossible to go baxk

Always trying to get solid 60fps (more in multiplayer games such as Battlefront etc.). If ist not possible to hold 60fps I would rather play with locked 50fps without Vsync than playing at 30fps. Even 40fps do feel much better than 30fps.

My case doesn't fit any of the options.

I have a Freesync monitor (like many others nowadays) and my minimum framerate is the minimum variable sync refresh rate supported by my monitor, which is 40Hz.

I get no tearing, minimum input latency and no need for constant 60FPS if I want something above 30FPS.

Prefer motion resolution of 60 or more.
Wouldn't mind motion interpolation for games like Detroit or other slow paced games to get best of both worlds.

Back