Case for NAS build w/ 3.5 hot swap bays

Sxotty

Legend
So I was thinking of finally building a NAS and wanted to find a good case.

I found
DS380B
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=452

But it is honestly twice what I want. I just want 4 hot swap bays at most.
Something like
https://www.amazon.com/Norco-ITX-S4..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=GJSJGVWEY0TZZP54F5Y4

But the reviews are all over the place and it is as expensive as the 8 bay silverstone. Maybe I should just get that.

Anyway suggestions welcome :)

I guess hot swap doesn't really matter anyway, so just a sff mini itx case that supports 4 3.5hdd and one 2.5ssd for the OS would be fine too.

Hot swap is nice but it's really only necessary in enterprise and when you can't have downtime. I just upgraded a drive in my 5-bay Synology and simply unplugging and adding new one is handy but I wouldn't care about spending an extra 10 minutes shutting down and opening case if I had to.

Why not get a full tower case for your pc
they support 9-12 drives

ps: If you dont already have the drives newegg has upto 14tb ones.

^^ Geniuinly asking? Because a NAS can be accessed by more devices than just the single PC. Also may have smallish case and no need for periferials means you can stuff it somewhere conveniently out of the way

Yeah, so I just gave up and got a cyber monday NAS deal instead so I don't need the suggestions anymore, thanks for the effort though.

Hot swap is nice but it's really only necessary in enterprise and when you can't have downtime. I just upgraded a drive in my 5-bay Synology and simply unplugging and adding new one is handy but I wouldn't care about spending an extra 10 minutes shutting down and opening case if I had to.
I know I said that at the end :) But I don't need any advice now thanks all.

Out of curiosity, what purpose is the NAS being used for? Is it mostly for media storage, like music, movies, tv shows and other entertainment? Is it only for backups? Or do you need high performance with multiple writes? What did you end up getting?

I dont think so, but I dont really think it will matter much and it will be easier to add new HDD over time without it.

Back