Switch: 1
Xbox One: 0.83
3DS:0.26

YoY:

PS4: +62%
Switch: -12%
Xbox One: +64%
3DS: -45%

Initial sales performance of Pokemon Let's Go is about in line with Nintendo's expectation, and it's a strong one.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/15188277/

Using these for October 2017 (PS4 - 205K, NSW - 295K, XB1 - 130K) I get the following for October 2018:
PS4: 332K - 348K (=340K ?)
NSW: 260K
XB1: 213K - 216K (=215K ?)

Totals Jan-Oct 2018
PS4: 3038K
NSW: 2505K
XB1: 2083K

Last edited by a moderator:
PS4 sold above 20M units in 2017 (calendar). Their best year since launch.

The slow down was early 2018. But with gow, spiderman, rdr2, and black friday deals, they'll probably still reach 18M. Then it should stay around that level next year if they can ship tlou2, ghost of tsushima, death stranding, and days gone (maybe dreams too?).

We should be past the peak now, and then the talk of next gen should cause a big drop early 2020 if the rumors are true.

Last edited:
While I wait for VentureBeat to post a more compressive NPD article, I started to wonder about something.

Will the Spiderman PS4 bundle be enough to hold off the NSW this holiday season? Assuming, of course, that Sony ships enough of those bundles.

One thing in PS4's favor is that Smash Bros. isn't coming out until Dec. 7th. If it came out sooner, I'd say PS4 would have only a small chance to take the Holiday season crown. But with Smash Bros. coming out that late, it might be close with PS4 taking the crown. Then again, Smash Bros. is huge with Nintendo fans. Nov. NPD will likely give a clue as to how it's going to go.

Another thing in PS4's favor is that it's unlikely that Nintendo will offer any deals for the NSW for Black Friday, which in the US is Huge.

Regards,
SB

While I wait for VentureBeat to post a more compressive NPD article, I started to wonder about something.

Will the Spiderman PS4 bundle be enough to hold off the NSW this holiday season? Assuming, of course, that Sony ships enough of those bundles.

One thing in PS4's favor is that Smash Bros. isn't coming out until Dec. 7th. If it came out sooner, I'd say PS4 would have only a small chance to take the Holiday season crown. But with Smash Bros. coming out that late, it might be close with PS4 taking the crown. Then again, Smash Bros. is huge with Nintendo fans. Nov. NPD will likely give a clue as to how it's going to go.

Another thing in PS4's favor is that it's unlikely that Nintendo will offer any deals for the NSW for Black Friday, which in the US is Huge.

Regards,
SB

From people working at retail, Sony is huge in November. They think they maybe can sold nearly 2 millions of PS4.

Regards,
SB

Isn't it odd the smash bundle is out before the game? Maybe strategy from Nintendo?

per ZhugeEX

Some highlights...

Here are the numbers for October 2018:
* Total: $1,545 million (up 73% percent from $894 million in October 2017)
* Hardware: $300 million (up 26% from $238 million)
* PC and console software: $965 million (up 104% compared to $473 million)
* Accessories: $280 million (up 54 percent from $182 million)

The $1.55 billion in October 2018 dollar sales represents the highest total spend for a month of October since the NPD Group began tracking the industry in 1995. The previous high was $1.36 billion reached in October 2008.

Year-to-date spending across video game Hardware, Software, Accessories and Game Cards has grown 21 percent when compared to the same period a year ago, to $10.5 billion. This is the highest year-to-date total spend achieved since the $10.9 billion achieved between January and October 2010.

Software:
Best October for software ever:
Dollar sales of Console, Portable and PC Games Software totaled $965 million in October 2018, more than doubling compared to a year ago. This represents an all-time high for PC & Video Games Software spending in an October month. The previous best of $743 million was reached in October 2008.

Black Ops IIII tops the chart: Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII is the best-selling game of October. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII launch month dollar sales represent the 8th highest in Video Game history since The NPD Group began tracking in 1995. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII instantly becomes the best-selling game of the year, and the 2nd best-selling game across the past twelve month period, trailing only Call of Duty: WWII.

Red Dead Redemption 2 sales 3x the original: With just nine days of reported sales, Red Dead Redemption 2 is the second best-selling game of October 2018 and is now also the second best-selling game year to date. Red Dead Redemption 2 launch month sales more than tripled those of the previous title in the series, Red Dead Redemption, which launched May 2010.

Hardware:
Hardware spend is up YTD:
For the 2018 year-to-date period, hardware spending has increased 19 percent, to $2.7 billion. Spending gains for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Plug N Play devices such as the NES Classic Edition and SNES Classic Edition continue to drive growth.

PS4 was the top selling console in October: PlayStation 4 was October's best-selling hardware platform in both units and dollars sold. PlayStation 4 hardware unit sales achieved an all-time October high for the platform, while PlayStation 4 hardware dollar sales reached its highest point for an October month since October 2014. October 2018 unit sales of PlayStation 4 reached the highest mark for any PlayStation hardware platform in an October month since the PlayStation 2 in October 2002.

RANKINGS (OCTOBER 2018)
Physical and Full Game Digital for publishers in the Digital Leader Panel, ranked on dollar sales
  1. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII^
  2. Red Dead Redemption II
  3. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  4. NBA 2K19
  5. Super Mario Party*
  6. Soul Calibur VI
  7. FIFA 19^
  8. Marvel's Spider-Man
  9. Madden NFL 19^
  10. WWE 2K19
  11. Forza Horizon 4
  12. Lego DC Super Villains
  13. My Hero One's Justice
  14. Shadow Of The Tomb Raider
  15. Mario Kart 8*
  16. Grand Theft Auto V
  17. Super Mario Odyssey*
  18. Diablo III*
  19. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  20. NHL 19
* Digital sales not included
^ PC digital sales not included

All Platforms YTD
  1. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII^
  3. Far Cry 5
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man
  5. NBA 2K19
  6. God of War 2018
  7. Monster Hunter: World
  8. Madden NFL 19^
  9. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. Call of Duty: WWII^
PS4
  1. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man
  5. Soul Calibur VI
  6. NBA 2K19
  7. FIFA 19
  8. WWE 2K19
  9. Madden NFL 19
  10. My Hero One's Justice
Xbox One
  1. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  4. Forza Horizon 4
  5. NBA 2K19
  6. Madden NFL 19
  7. FIFA 19
  8. WWE 2K19
  9. Soul Calibur VI
  10. Shadow Of The Tomb Raider

Using these for October 2017 (PS4 - 205K, NSW - 295K, XB1 - 130K) I get the following for October 2018:
PS4: 332K - 348K (=340K ?)
NSW: 260K
XB1: 213K - 216K (=215K ?)

Totals Jan-Oct 2018
PS4: 3038K
NSW: 2505K
XB1: 2083K

Anyone has the LTD NPD numbers for PS4/Xbone/Switch?

https://venturebeat.com/2018/11/20/october-2018-npd/

Looks like they aren't going to be posting the past 12 months chart like they usually do. :(

“Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 launch month dollar sales represent the eigth highest in Video Game history since The NPD Group began tracking in 1995. Black Ops 4 instantly becomes the best-selling game of the year, and the seconnd best-selling game across the past twelve month period, trailing only Call of Duty: WWII.”

Erm, I shouldn't have been skeptical of COD: BO3. COD is just too strong. It flew right by RDR2, and without the benefit of PC sales which aren't tracked because it was sold on the Blizzard store. :runaway:

Sorry FC5, you won't get to be in the top spot for the year after COD: WW2 and Super Mario Odyssey fall out as I thought you would. COD just shoved bullied its way right past you.

The only thing keeping COD: BO3 from taking the past 12 months title is COD: WW2. O.O. But WW2 drops out of the chart next month. So, long live the new king.

AC: Odyssey is continuing to go strong (3rd last month and 3rd this month) while Spider-Man seems to be falling off a little (1st last month and 8th this month). But a fair bit of that has to do with Spider-Man being featured in a PS4 bundle, those aren't counted for retail sales figures by NPD for software sales charts. I'm sure Sony aren't sad to move more consoles at the expense of NPD sales ranking. Also only being on one platform hurts it quite a bit.

For the past 12 months chart Spider-Man will likely have a ceiling of 3rd or 4th place. It has no chances of passing either COD or RDR2. FC5 will likely hold onto 2nd or 3rd until it drops off. That's not bad for Spider-Man, however, as it is only a single SKU title after all.
AC: Odyssey might eventually end up passing it as well, although it's pretty far behind at this point.

And, with the holidays here, look what's happening.

“Super Mario Party climbs the charts this month to rank fifth in October sales after its September debut placed it at number nine in the ranking,” said Piscatella. “Over each title’s first two months in market, Super Mario Party is now the third fastest selling Mario Party game in history, trailing only Mario Party and Mario Party 8.”

Nintendo getting a big boost from Holiday shopping. Not often do you see a title do better in it's second month than its launch month.

Regards,
SB

AC: Odyssey is continuing to go strong (3rd last month and 3rd this month) while Spider-Man seems to be falling off a little (1st last month and 8th this month). But a fair bit of that has to do with Spider-Man being featured in a PS4 bundle,

Not that Spider-Man is on one platform instead of three?

For the past 12 months chart Spider-Man will likely have a ceiling of 3rd or 4th place. It has no chances of passing either COD or RDR2. FC5 will likely hold onto 2nd or 3rd until it drops off. That's not bad for Spider-Man, however, as it is only a single SKU title after all.

Regards,​
SB

Please remember NPD only covers North American sales not worldwide sales (which is a far better indicator at gaging global appeal and larger scope of success). Far Cry 5 isn't on the top 10 list in worldwide sales for PS4, nor XB1, however, God of War is. And more than likely Spider-Man will take the number six spot on the PS4 worldwide sales list since it has eclipsed God of War in YTD sales in North America this past October. Which leads me to believe that Far Cry 5 worldwide sales are primarily PC gamers.

Last edited:
It's all part of the trade-off they were willing to make.

Well yes. But I don't think Sony is complaining about Spider-Man"s global (worldwide sales) PS4 ranking or success. More than likely it will rank number #6 within worldwide sales for the PS4 platform... which is damn good for a single platform title going against the juggernauts of the industry (i.e., Call of Duty series and GTA V).

The sequence of negociation between marvel, sony, and insomniac is probably among the best decisions in the recent history of the video game business.

Marvel gets positive brand exposure from a top quality game in a field where film franchise exploitation rarely worked. Insomniac got to choose the character they wanted, made the game they wanted, made a lot of money. Sony increased their console sales lead even more, brought spiderman fans on the platform, and will keep them for years to come since it's just the first of a series.

Giving spiderman in the BF bundle is going to be very successful if they have enough stock this time around. I guess they are going for the kill.

Marvel gets positive brand exposure from a top quality game in a field where film franchise exploitation rarely worked.

I've said this before, but this reminds me of the old story behind Megadrive's Alladin. It was a similar deal between Disney, Sega and Virgin interactive.
Disney decided then that allowing their high value IPs be used in shitty games wasn't worth the money grab, and decided to take a more active role in the production and publishing roles of games with their IP and Alladin on Mega Drive was their first experiment. Disney maintained their higher level of control with all later titles until today. Spidey sure would have benefited of such an approach during the past decade, and now it is. And probably other Marvel IPs will, from now on.

PS/EDIT: It's maybe also not an accident this is happening now that Marvel is part of Disney.

Please remember NPD only covers North American sales not worldwide sales (which is a far better indicator at gaging global appeal and larger scope of success). Far Cry 5 isn't on the top 10 list in worldwide sales for PS4, nor XB1, however, God of War is. And more than likely Spider-Man will take the number six spot on the PS4 worldwide sales list since it has eclipsed God of War in YTD sales in North America this past October. Which leads me to believe that Far Cry 5 worldwide sales are primarily PC gamers.

Please remember, this is an NPD sales thread. :)

I'm not attributing anything in this thread as a predictor of world wide sales as that would be nonsensical.

For anything that deals with world wide sales I usually put that into the All-Sales thread.

Regards,
SB

Back