All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2018 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see what you're saying, and technically this will be skewed anyway as it's an 18 game and I would say (at the risk of being shot down) not a title to 'attract' younger gamers like other 18 games (CoD and GTA). So maybe (and this is a total guess) the PS4 owners are potentially older gamers (do we have any data on the age groups by console)?

At the scale it's selling, the PS4 demographic is almost certainly the broadest. I had reason to believe last gen that PS3 owners skewed older due to PS3 SKUs having a higher percentage of sales of multiplatform releases in genres and franchises that were popular in the prior gen. It reinforced the expectation that PS3 owners would skew older due to the higher initial price.

At the scale it's selling, the PS4 demographic is almost certainly the broadest. I had reason to believe last gen that PS3 owners skewed older due to PS3 SKUs having a higher percentage of sales of multiplatform releases in genres and franchises that were popular in the prior gen. It reinforced the expectation that PS3 owners would skew older due to the higher initial price.

And there's a good chance those older PS3 owners upgraded to PS4 and (of course) people get older anyway. Be interesting to see some stats tho

And there's a good chance those older PS3 owners upgraded to PS4 and (of course) people get older anyway. Be interesting to see some stats tho

Yeah, you can get hints here and there and can intuit some, but to really know you need comprehensive (and expensive) market research to be done by someone and for them to be willing to share it, which is a tall order.

It seems PS4 and Switch are off to a good start with pre Black Friday sales.

https://gearnuke.com/spider-man-ps4-199-black-friday-bundle-selling-out/
Marvel’s Spider-Man is available is a limited time special bundle with a PS4 Slim, and as expected, it is selling out everywhere.

The bundle is getting sold out whenever the listing for it is updated on sites like Walmart, Amazon, and other retailers online. It shows the demand for the bundle is exceeding the stock allocated to each retailer. It is also the number 1 selling hardware on Amazon right now and just behind the 1 year PS Plus subscription overall that is being sold for $39.99 down from $59.99.

ConcernedGrimAurochs-max-1mb.gif

The question is how many bundles are they shipping? Last year they ran out in days while MS had their bundles for weeks.

It's a good question, because they projected less sales this year, but they will be able to sell as many of the Spider-man bundles as they can get on shelves. It's just a question of whether they planned to make enough to meet this incredible demand.

It's bizzare...it's like Sony is throwing away money - they didn't need to drop the price so low and pack in Spiderman.
IMO, not offering good holiday pricedrop is mistake.

BF in US and Christmas/NY deals in EU enable console holders to get access to the ultra casual audience and to be part of the gift giving season. Hardcore gamers are mostly already served. In this part of lifecycle, specific games can bring out the gamers who held off with the console purchase [Shenmue fans, Kingdom Hearts fans, Kojima fans...].

IMO, not offering good holiday pricedrop is mistake.

BF in US and Christmas/NY deals in EU enable console holders to get access to the ultra casual audience and to be part of the gift giving season. Hardcore gamers are mostly already served. In this part of lifecycle, specific games can bring out the gamers who held off with the console purchase [Shenmue fans, Kingdom Hearts fans, Kojima fans...].

Good, yes - I totally get...but this is verging on insane!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back