MS releases Xbox One S All Digital edition (No Optical Drive)

In terms of cost reductions...

Disc drive - $30 ?
Chassis materiel - 1/2_stuff ?
7nm APU - e.g. 2x density, 120mm^2 ???
smaller PSU - ???
RAM - either they're still dealing with 16x DDR3 chips or they did a complete memory swap...

:unsure:

Half the packaging , half the shipping cost , half the room on store shelves. It all adds up to a lot of money. Even $30 @ 10m units is 300m in cost savings, that's before everything else we already mentioned. Oh and don't forget they get a larger cut of profits off the digital copy and so do the publisher / developer

Disc drive - $30 ?
smaller PSU - ???
RAM - either they're still dealing with 16x DDR3 chips or they did a complete memory swap...

The cost saving isn't great, but for the 1S at it's price point though it could make a big difference. I'm not sure the uhd drive is even $30?
Although it would be nice for it to have a 1TB hdd.

Maybe MS would sell at a slight loss, knowing that every game sale is going to be digital.

$50 less rrp than standard 1S would be very competitive.

This gen may be over, but still need to try get as many people into ecosystem as possible.

Disc drive - $30 ?
smaller PSU - ???

Ddr3 remains less expensive per GB than anything else, but yeah ddr4 would really help a shrink.

7nm is supposedly as expensive per transistor as 14/16 but might drop next year. Still could be worth it for the power. The board is gigantic they need to completely redo the layout to have any chance of actually reducing the physical footprint. The SoC shrink itself doesn't change that.

That 4k drive is dropping yearly by itself, and would be $20 next year. So compared to just making a 7nm slim with a massive board revision, they save maybe $25 to $30. I wonder about the hundred millions required to make a 7nm revision a year before next gen... Not sure how many they have to sell to recover those NRE costs to make it worthwhile.

If MS went diskless and Sony didn't, wouldn't that drive a potentially significant portion of users with crappy/limited internet access to Sony?

Half the packaging , half the shipping cost , half the room on store shelves. It all adds up to a lot of money. Even $30 @ 10m units is 300m in cost savings, that's before everything else we already mentioned. Oh and don't forget they get a larger cut of profits off the digital copy and so do the publisher / developer

Additional savings on not paying DVD, BluRay and UHD BluRay licenses too.

The cost saving isn't great, but for the 1S at it's price point though it could make a big difference. I'm not sure the uhd drive is even $30?
Although it would be nice for it to have a 1TB hdd.

Maybe MS would sell at a slight loss, knowing that every game sale is going to be digital.

$50 less rrp than standard 1S would be very competitive.

This gen may be over, but still need to try get as many people into ecosystem as possible.

an xbox one today might be a streaming customer in 3 years . So for ms the xbox one gen may not be almost over , it may just be beginning.

The MS policies as laid out would have actually allowed you to sell your digital codes. So it would have been great

Mmm, at specifically authorized retailers, for prices they controlled. And "laid out" is a pretty strong description for their vaguely implied plans they never solidified internally, let alone detailed fully.

Mmm, at specifically authorized retailers, for prices they controlled. And "laid out" is a pretty strong description for their vaguely implied plans they never solidified internally, let alone detailed fully.
i'd imagine the majority of used games go through gamestop or amazon or best buy . Don't see it much diffrent

If MS went diskless and Sony didn't, wouldn't that drive a potentially significant portion of users with crappy/limited internet access to Sony?
Only if they sold diskless sku's. Which I don't expect to happen, not for a very very long time.

an xbox one today might be a streaming customer in 3 years . So for ms the xbox one gen may not be almost over , it may just be beginning.
I agree, that's why I'm saying it's in their interest to get as many people in ecosystem as possible, even though this gen itself is "lost"

A cheap, diskless sku could pull in the ultra casual budget market.

what type of hdd is in the 1S? 2.5"? If so, could keep the current design and swap out uhd drive and put in a 3.5" hdd in it's place, may be cheaper than having to manufacture another sku?

I guess the most plausible for next gen is a dual sku anyway, there's no reason for them to shoot themselves in the other foot. The rumored ODD-less xb1 could be a great way to test the demand.

Only if they sold diskless sku's. Which I don't expect to happen, not for a very very long time.

I agree, that's why I'm saying it's in their interest to get as many people in ecosystem as possible, even though this gen itself is "lost"

A cheap, diskless sku could pull in the ultra casual budget market.

what type of hdd is in the 1S? 2.5"? If so, could keep the current design and swap out uhd drive and put in a 3.5" hdd in it's place, may be cheaper than having to manufacture another sku?

I'm sure for them its easier to just keep buying 2.5 inch drives esp if there is over lap in sizes as they will reduce cost that way. I think across the line its 1 and 2 TB drives on the s and x

I'm sure for them its easier to just keep buying 2.5 inch drives esp if there is over lap in sizes as they will reduce cost that way. I think across the line its 1 and 2 TB drives on the s and x
Maybe/probably.
I was just thinking it would be nice to have a 3.5" 7200 1 TB in there instead of the 5400 500 GB.
It may not be an SSD upgrade, but the increase in speed would be a nice bonus, whilst keeping the BOM under control.

Has there been any revisions? I only ever remember hearing about PS4/pro ones.
I only ask, because that's one of the reasons I could see them going with the current board and case. Literally just saying, a sku without a uhd drive in it.

256Gbit TLC flash dies are at $.10/GB on the Chinese spotmarket. MS could replace the 500GB 2.5" HDD with NAND at similar capacity and roughly similar price (currently, but falling in the future).

Ditch the optical and HDD and we'll have a nice, compact and cheaper system.

Cheers

Disc drive - $30 ?
smaller PSU - ???

Yeah, I'd be curious about the RAM. Will a ~120mm chip be IO dominated with 16 DDR chips? Unless they can reduce the number of pins and chips (by going to DDR4) it might not be worth a shrink.

Maybe it will only be a 12nm shrink for slightly better power and thus cheaper cooling.

I dont think they have any SKUs with only 500GB HDD now, on both consoles.

Promote BYOD, you can get 3TB USB3 connected HDD for less than $80.

I would love if they made it the same for Optical UHD BluRay, just plug in a USB3 drive if you wanted to watch physical movies or install games from physical media.

Or if they wanted to be slick about it, have a 2.5" slot to slide in an SSD in sata. I'd personally like for a small removable cover on the bottom of the unit where one could add in an NVME. Just like the old days of upgrading laptops.

I'm curious if some retailers are going to fight against carrying this SKU or demand a more typical margin (~30%) to put them on store shelves. MS certainly could sell through these at 70% of the MRSP to retailers and even take a loss on hardware since it cuts out the used game market and MS gets a ~30% cut on every digital 3rd party game and 100% revenue of every digital 1st party game, compared to physical games where they get a ~12% cut from royalties for 3rd party games and a ~60% cut from physical 1st party games.
0*tQN5U9TKH0GcpYlF.png

18j3z1b9en48ajpg.jpg
From what I've heard you can still buy used games at least. You'll be able to bring them into a retailer store and they'll convert your disc license into a downloadable code. So you could still at least buy used games from GameStop or wherever.

Back