Sony, No 2019 E3 Showing

Except the current generation of games was designed for the xbox one / ps4. Now we have ps4 pro and xbox one x. So unless developers will stop developing for these platforms next gen ip will hit those two consoles and if not the ps4 pro then certainly the xb one x .

Pro and X are nothing more than mid-generation refreshes. Once first party developer support ends (and the vast majority of triple A third party developers as well) 2 years after the next-generation launch, the PS4/XB1 base platforms and their mid-generation refreshes will be a playground for late cycle titles and indie wares.

So, what's the problem?

will a 2019 console look that much better than a xb1x . That's going to have to a hard hill to climb graphics wise and I can't really think of another time a console had to do that
Yes. I believe 60fps will be more the norm and that alone will make games look significantly better IMO.

Last edited:
Not quite sure why this means PS5 is 2020? Maybe from their experience from 2013 with the reveal event and doing E3 they retrospectively thought that doing both events was not worth it/too much hassle. As such they might still have an early 2019 reveal, then have a special event later in the year detailing games and getting the buzz going (without the restrictions and extra complications of working to E3 requirements).

Arrogant Sony is back!
Joking aside I am disappointed but as long as they still provide high quality gameplay trailers and walkthroughs of TLOU2, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and maybe FFVII Remake for us to download I can still forgive them. But more importantly I hope the PS5 plan goes extra well and it'd better be a killer launch.

IMO, if they targeted PS5 for 2019 but pushed back to 2020, hardware will not change much. Potentially they could increase the ram, because GDDR6 chips are easily interchangeable [or doubled with clamshell approach].

As for their marketing plan for 2019, they could have their own big events easily. And if they elect to showcase PS5 during 2019, that PSMeeting event will be huge. 2019 is also a year where they could organize a big 25th anniversary of PS1. There can be so many variations of their plans, we know very little right now. PS5 timing is uncertain, and so many big PS4 game timings is uncertain. Will they release many of their AAA games in 2019, how much will they rely in crossgen promotion, will some game be artificially delayed for PS5 launch in the same way as BotW was?

Pro and X are nothing more than mid-generation refreshes. Once first party developer support ends (and the vast majority of triple A third party developers as well) 2 years after the next-generation launch, the PS4/XB1 base platforms and their mid-generation refreshes will be a playground for late cycle titles and indie wares.

So, what's the problem?
the pro might be but who knows what MS's plan is with the X. It may stick around as a long time and will surely have the largest install base between an xbox next , ps5 and x , esp as it continues to drop in price . MS first party may be in the mist of switching to the x as its primary console . Its why I have been starting to think that the xbox next might not come until 2022

By that same token, if PS5 can't distance itself from X1X in 2020, how will XB2?

LIke I said , would it look like enough of a graphical leap from a 2017 console. I would assume the ps5 is 7nm and would most likely use a ryzen based cup and gpu would be a hybrid navi. But do you think that would make enough of a difference graphicly to get people to go out and spend more on such a system ?
If XB1X is 6TF and PS5 is 10 TFs, that's only twice as much. Not enough for a generational leap (5x at least). What will XB2 be? 15 TFs? Still not a generational advance.

So either all these companies should give up on next-gen until some time around 2025 at the earliest, or we look to improvements beyond mere flops.

My theory is if PS5 is next year there will be a PlayStation event February if there isn't that means 2020 and that would explain pulling out of E3 also.

Nothing new to show because everything new will be for PS5 and if it's not coming 2019 they don't won't to reveal it 2 years before launch.

<ModMerge>

This comparing with Xbox X makes me want to pull my hair out lol. The Xbox X is hamstrung by PS4 base and Xbox one and a very weak CPU compared to a possible Ryzen 2.

Oops, sorry double post. For some reason I thought I was still editing my previous post.

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s definitely an argument to be made over what would be possible on the mid-gens if their only purpose wasn’t to simply make base hardware games look better, and what “exclusive mid-gen games” would be like. Not sure it’s for this thread but I agree it would be worth exploring just for the curiosity of it all, however pointless it would be.

Surprised it took so long for one of MS/Sony to drop out.
Ditto. The same thing happened in the non-gaming consumer space with Apple and Microsoft skipping mass media events so they can roll their own events and control the timing and messaging without having to worry about poor coverage and consumers missing it because there is a storm of media messaging all within a week and journalists are frazzled.

Ditto. The same thing happened in the non-gaming consumer space with Apple and Microsoft skipping mass media events so they can roll their own events and control the timing and messaging without having to worry about poor coverage and consumers missing it because there is a storm of media messaging all within a week and journalists are frazzled.

This.

Obviously.

From a console-enthusiast perspective I see the gradual diminishing of E3 as a negative. I get why it's happening, but something is being lost and I feel that what it's being replaced with really only serves the big companies at the expense of the rest of the industry.

From a console-enthusiast perspective I see the gradual diminishing of E3 as a negative. I get why it's happening, but something is being lost and I feel that what it's being replaced with really only serves the big companies at the expense of the rest of the industry.

The rest of the industry already feels like an afterthought when it comes to coverage. Journalists make sure they cover conferences like Activation, Bethesda, EA, Microsoft, Sony, Square and Ubisoft and the small devs/publishers and indies scarcely get a look-in. Outside the main conferences you have others like CD Projekt Red showing Cyberpunk 2077 behind closed doors. How can smaller companies and indies possibly compete without a massive publisher pushing their wares? There's needs to be more events like PAX and E3 could become that.

This is the first ever E3 they are not attending, right?
What happened??
Replace it with V3 (and a healthy sacrifice of tomatoes)

Venite Videte Vincite.........

uh...

Virtually. >_>

A Playstation Home VR Experientia.

Back