Poll: What do you prioritise in picking game settings?

What do you prioritise in picking game settings?

• Depends on game, though prefer resolution typically

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I usually aim for 60fps. Usually going from something like ultra to high isn't perceivable to my on my 24" monitor and 42" tv so it's not a big deal to me.

Though if I have to drop settings too much to get 60fps it's time for new hardware.

Don't care much about res but I've never had a high DPI monitor. Good AA makes super high res less important IMO. High refresh rate (100+Hz) is immediately noticeable even when mousing around on the desktop. My next monitor will be 1440p max at least 100Hz with gsync of course.

Depends on game, though prefer quality typically

In most circumstances I try to achieve 60fps as it's usually just a better gaming experience. However, depending on the game, I will sacrifice frame rate for AA for example. I despise aliasing and will try to find a good balance of high game settings and framerate to achieve desired visuals and gameplay experience.

I game at 2560x1080 ultrawide so it's not super-high resolution. Until very recently I was gaming on a 970 and had pretty much given up on buying newer games as I didn't want to play at 15-30fps but didn't want to play on low-medium settings. Again depends on the game of course. Now that I have a 1080, I'm once again able to play at stable 60fps on high-ultra settings with decent AA.

Don't care much about res but I've never had a high DPI monitor. Good AA makes super high res less important IMO. High refresh rate (100+Hz) is immediately noticeable even when mousing around on the desktop. My next monitor will be 1440p max at least 100Hz with gsync of course.

Highly recommended. I have a 1440p/144Hz Gsync and it’s been fantastic.

100+ Hz for multiplayer FPS is a must.

Highly recommended. I have a 1440p/144Hz Gsync and it’s been fantastic.

100+ Hz for multiplayer FPS is a must.
I will say diminishing returns kick in fast after 120Hz. 60 -> 120 is way more noticeable than 120 -> 240 plus it’s really hard to get FPS that high unless you have a banger CPU + GPU and put everything on low.

Resolution + Quality, haven't run anything other than legacy games non-native res since forever, I'm pretty tolerant of low fps & tend to play fairly non-twitchy games so 20-40fps is generally fine for me.

Only a few games I have to drop off max settings to get acceptable fps, normally by just dropping shadow quality down a notch.

This is the starting point for almost every game for me.

Minimum 2400x1500 resolution and 60 FPS. The only graphical setting that won't be sacrificed to achieve that is sufficient AA that rendering artifacts are kept to a minimum. Typical resolution will be either 2560x1440, 2560x1600, or 3200x1800. These are all Windowed resolutions.

Even RTS games are minimum 60 FPS for me now. It bothers me to see the loss of detail and/or juddering/stuttering at 30 FPS whenever I move the camera.

The only exceptions for me are some puzzle games (match 3 for example), card games, or point and click adventure games that use 2D animation (ie - the animation is locked to a certain animation frequency). But then 2D adventure games and puzzle games usually don't suffer from performance problems. :p

I'll also tend to look at maxed out graphics every once in a while to see what a game developer has tried to offer if I can't do max graphics (usually can't with a 1070 at my resolutions). But only briefly as it's highly distracting to see the artifacts from rendering at lower framerates.

I'm also desperately trying not to look at friend's monitors while they play games when I visit them now. Damn you 120+ Hz!!! :)

Regards,
SB

I aim for high quality. I also have a 1400p 144hz display so I usually try to get ~100fps at native resolution, which is plenty smooth enough. For now my 1080 has usually been enough, but when that becomes a problem I'm ready to drop some cash to fix the problem.

So I guess I want all of the nice things :)

I usually aim for 60fps. Usually going from something like ultra to high isn't perceivable to my on my 24" monitor and 42" tv so it's not a big deal to me.

Though if I have to drop settings too much to get 60fps it's time for new hardware.
same here. my i7 and 1050Ti handle 1080p -my laptop's native screen- 60 fps just fine, in some cases with a few tweaks here and there, which I don't mind to make and drop shadows quality and Pantene hair.

Back