Poll: Mid-gen console owners - do you pick performance or quality?

Given the option, do you choose higher framerates or higher resolution/graphics?

• Total voters
Depends on the mode ... single player or multi player mode.

I'm still on a 1080p set, so that limits my choices somewhat.

(Nevermind I thought this was a FPS discussions with PC included).

With PS4 I started going for the performance mode.

With Shadow of the Colosus for the first time in my life I really noticed how much better the game feels in performance mode.

Last edited:
Why on earth should we consider that more natural and more responsive motion wasn't the ultimate expression of quality?

More denser and higher quality pixels to fill my 4k HDR set everyday of the year. 1080p/60 just looks disgusting relatively speaking.

Depends on the game and performance. If performance isn't hitting a mostly solid 60, then I will try quality if the experience is more consistent. The thing with 30FPS for me is that it's far more common to have frame pacing issues that make the game feel choppy, but sometimes the performance modes are 50ish and that feels terrible too. I go with whatever's more consistent. Also, sometimes I game on an older 1080p monitor when I want to hide from my wife and kids, and depending on what the options do sometimes you end up with a game that looks barely any better but with a locked framerate in quality mode.

I specially purchased Pro and X for higher image quality needs (for exclusive titles of course). I've gotten so use to playing PC games in 6K, 7K, or 8K downsampling resolutions, that playing standard consoles [1080p] weren't cutting the 'IQ' mustard anymore for me.

Why on earth should we consider that more natural and more responsive motion wasn't the ultimate expression of quality?
It's for easy of language. I can't beleive this is coming up again! If we don't use the one word 'quality' to denote per-pixel visual effects, then our list has to consist of "framerate, resolution, or number and type of effects and visual features resulting in better looking individual frames."

The word 'quality' here means that above, and is used just to denote the third option for developers. If you've a better single word that'll mean that without conflicting with other notions of graphics, please present it...

It's for easy of language. I can't beleive this is coming up again! If we don't use the one word 'quality' to denote per-pixel visual effects, then our list has to consist of "framerate, resolution, or number and type of effects and visual features resulting in better looking individual frames."

The word 'quality' here means that above, and is used just to denote the third option for developers. If you've a better single word that'll mean that without conflicting with other notions of graphics, please present it...

Yeah, fair enough. I don't have a better way of putting it.

Graphics over framerate
Details over resolution

I play on 1080p tv, but 4k is pure waste of recources, so i would choose 1080p with more details any day.

Stable 30fps is 100% enough for single/coop/pvp games and if someone cant play 30fps games , there is something wrong with their eyes/reflex/adaptibility.

I played 1800h of destiny 1, coop/pvp and fps were never the issue.

Those that cry about 30fps are just spoiled brats that should play pc only if they are not villing/capable to adapt.

Yes, 60fps is smoother but doesnt matter so much with console+tv+controller.

Resolution/Quality most of the time.

I think that the framerate obsession is a recent thing caused by people that want to flame online in console wars and enlarge their e-penis.
Bad framerate is a problem but a stable 30fps is preferable that unstable 60fps and most games are perfectly fine at 30fps.

Many people that complain are mostly about the numbers and they are easily fooled by DF videos when they see a game such as RDR2 dramatically dropping to 29fps in the most complex area of the game.

Bad framerate are always been a thing and back then you couldn't even get a patch but because nobody was talking and measuring framerates no one was complaining.

Regarding Resolution vs Quality
Absolutely resolution until 4K included.
More resolution naturally yields more detail and a crystal clear image quality is beneficial on the gameplay side on many games.
Resolution higher than 4K are not that important, in that case details are more important.

I think that the framerate obsession is a recent thing caused by people that want to flame online in console wars and enlarge their e-penis.

It's more that more people are getting exposed to it and when going back to a 30 FPS game...are finding it lacking.

VR, PS4-P/XBO-X performance modes, people coming back to console from PC, etc. are exposing more console gamers to more fluid and responsive gaming. And not just gaming, but the more fluid the presentation and better the presentation looks like in motion. 60 FPS resolves more details in graphics in motion than does 30 FPS. What use is all the graphical eye candy if it is almost immediately lost as soon as the camera/player moves?

The only games where I stare at a static non-moving screen for long periods of time are adventure or puzzle games. If I play something where movement of the player or camera is involved, I do not want the stuttery blurry mess that is a 30 FPS gaming once I move or move the camera.

Unfortunately for me, I've seen some games at 120+ FPS now at friends houses, and even 60 is feeling and looking less fluid now. And 30 FPS just got that much worse. :p

Regards,
SB

It's very interesting that the same poll in the PC space is yielding far more interest in graphics than framerate. That goes completely against the life-long narrative! I know in earlier consoles, they offered 60 fps where home computers and PCs couldn't. It's only the change to 3D where consoles have started to fall behind.

It's very interesting that the same poll in the PC space is yielding far more interest in graphics than framerate. That goes completely against the life-long narrative! I know in earlier consoles, they offered 60 fps where home computers and PCs couldn't. It's only the change to 3D where consoles have started to fall behind.

Considering the site we're on, should it be that surprising? :) IE - there's likely a larger percentage of people here interested in how graphics work, new graphical effects, new ways of rendering shadows or leaves, or...well just about anything. :)

Regards,
SB

I'd wager if most people are rocking a 4k set then the data would be even more skewed towards the graphics and res option. All in all people are upgrading mainly for the pixels and effects, literally non of my friends including some die hard pc gamers care much about high framerate.

Back