Red Dead Redemption 2

The bandana is also poorly explained in game. When committing a crime the bandana only reduces the risk of you being positively identified, i.e. they know Arthur Morgan committed the crime. If you are never positively identified you can avoid bounties. The NPCs are smarter than to be fooled by a bandana alone so if you wear the same clothes, ride the same horse, use the same custom weapons and have the general same facial hair, even wearing a bandana won't prevent you being identified.

E.g. if you use the general store in town a lot and always look the same, robbing it while wearing a bandana won't prevent the owner from recognising you. I used a setup of clothes for overt crimes and a different horse and this seemed to work for me.
You know I had a suspicion that this was the case, the fact that my clothes etc were generally the same led me to be identified easier over time. It's a great detail to the game and as with many aspects of RDR2, rather realistic. I'm going to have to change my outfit and see how I fare in some crimes.

You know I had a suspicion that this was the case, the fact that my clothes etc were generally the same led me to be identified easier over time. It's a great detail to the game and as with many aspects of RDR2, rather realistic.

This is one of the most frustrating things about RDR2. This system is deep and they did a piss poor job of explaining it in game. Among the hours and hours of dialogue and cutscenes, how hard would it have been for a five second segment where Dutch explains the importance of changing your clothes, horse and look to avoid detection when committing a crime in an area where everybody knows you? :runaway:

You know I had a suspicion that this was the case, the fact that my clothes etc were generally the same led me to be identified easier over time. It's a great detail to the game and as with many aspects of RDR2, rather realistic. I'm going to have to change my outfit and see how I fare in some crimes.

I found the easiest way of looting someone and avoiding witnesses (to a crime) was simply to hogtie the person(s) that I was robbing, bringing them to a secluded area or empty house/shack and completing the crime (this also includes killing persons of interest or revenge). Witnesses will simply mind their business... likely believing you're a bounty hunter.

Crime, witnesses and investigations are so poorly explained. I bought the digital version of the strategy guide in the companion app which includes a full page flowchart of how this works.

In short, if a crime is neither witnessed nor discovered you get as long as like to loot the bodies. The game sneakily places many missions in or near populated areas or nearby trails where passing riders may notice bodies then ride off to report them. Even if you feel you are in the middle of nowhere, check you map for nearby trails. Bodies will get noticed. If there is some mass shootout, move the bodies away from the trails so you have time to loot them without the law showing up. Or just shoot everybody who passes by.

The bandana is also poorly explained in game. When committing a crime the bandana only reduces the risk of you being positively identified, i.e. they know Arthur Morgan committed the crime. If you are never positively identified you can avoid bounties. The NPCs are smarter than to be fooled by a bandana alone so if you wear the same clothes, ride the same horse, use the same custom weapons and have the general same facial hair, even wearing a bandana won't prevent you being identified.

E.g. if you use the general store in town a lot and always look the same, robbing it while wearing a bandana won't prevent the owner from recognising you. I used a setup of clothes for overt crimes and a different horse and this seemed to work for me.

The map is really huge :yep2: I did a ton of exploration during Chapter 2 and thought I'd seen most of the areas new to RDR2 however as the chapters roll on, you realise how truly massive the map is which very distinct feeling huge areas of their own. Even having finish the game, there are a fair few area I've note been to yet or want to revisit to explore properly. I reckon people will be finding new things for years.

Dsoup thanks for that! That's some crazy details I had no idea about. I never change my outfit, horse or my hair. Didn't see the point. Now I do. Guess I will also be more mindful of the bodies & passerbys. Again thanks for the tips.

Tommy McClain

Crime, witnesses and investigations are so poorly explained. I bought the digital version of the strategy guide in the companion app which includes a full page flowchart of how this works.

Wait, what? The guide has flowcharts explaining this sort of detail? Is it also in the paper version do you know? Might be work picking up.

Wait, what? The guide has flowcharts explaining this sort of detail? Is it also in the paper version do you know? Might be work picking up.

I don't know. If you're able to look at the paper version before you buy, check out pages 19-20 (criminal activities, the honour system, witnesses and an overview of the wanted system) and pages 175-177 (law enforcement, the wanted system, reinforcements 'the wanted loop' flowchart, additional crime systems, wanted levels and lockdown, crime severity and death and financial penalties).

This is basically five pages of explanation of the mechanics of crime. The free companion includes a more detailed game manual than is present in game, which also hints at some of this stuff.

Lost my Red Dead save :( had a power outage and corrupted the PS4 firmware, had to format. And no I didn't have plus save back-up enabled. I'm in a dark place right now. :(
:( That sucks! I realized when getting my PS4P that cloud features weren't available unless I paid for plus, which is terrible. I already pay for too many online services. I assume I can backup saves to a USB drive?

Lost my Red Dead save :( had a power outage and corrupted the PS4 firmware, had to format. And no I didn't have plus save back-up enabled. I'm in a dark place right now. :(

dang, sorry to hear that :(

:( That sucks! I realized when getting my PS4P that cloud features weren't available unless I paid for plus, which is terrible. I already pay for too many online services. I assume I can backup saves to a USB drive?

Yes you can

Sorry to hear that Xbat. :cry:

May I suggest using an APC UPS (surge protection is usually inclusive) or another UPS manufacture, on making sure this never happens again during these type of disruptions. There are some very compact and affordable models on doing so. All my gaming equipment, PCs, network equipment, TVs, and other electronic devices are all protected and powered when needed by UPSs. Just a great investment to have...

The bandana is also poorly explained in game. When committing a crime the bandana only reduces the risk of you being positively identified, i.e. they know Arthur Morgan committed the crime. .

Do the masks provide any extra benefit over the bandana or the hood or are they all just for appearances sake? I murdered a bunch of people in a cabin because one of them was abusing their pig, but put on a jason mask before I did it. Bounty hunters showed up and said that mask won't fool us. After I murdered them, I still had a bounty on me... so, not sure the point.

Do the masks provide any extra benefit over the bandana or the hood or are they all just for appearances sake? I murdered a bunch of people in a cabin because one of them was abusing their pig, but put on a jason mask before I did it. Bounty hunters showed up and said that mask won't fool us. After I murdered them, I still had a bounty on me... so, not sure the point.

The masks are not mentioned at all.

The other day I was like, "I don't remember so many trees being cut down within this area." Now I see why... :oops:

I never noticed any of the building progress but I did spot the railroad. I stumbled on the end of the a railway line while chasing some treasure from a map and there were a lot of Chinese workers laying track. My girlfriend wanted to see this so I went back to the same spot, which was several days in-game time later, and they had laid quite a lot more track.

I never noticed any of the building progress but I did spot the railroad. I stumbled on the end of the a railway line while chasing some treasure from a map and there were a lot of Chinese workers laying track. My girlfriend wanted to see this so I went back to the same spot, which was several days in-game time later, and they had laid quite a lot more track.

I believe there are two or more railway construction jobs going on. The first one that I stumbled upon was dealing with the "foreman spy" side mission, and another dealing with track laying issues. Fun times...

I finally finished it. Good game, it grew on me as the story progressed. The controls were always a mess and often frustrating, but the world, characters and story make you look past it. I'd give it a 9/10. I was really surprised at how much further they took it beyond where I thought it would end. I loved the credits and music too. I'm a bit burned out so I will play something else for a while and come back for the post game world later.

For my top games this year I'd put it above Spider-Man and below GoW.

Back