Have Sony abandoned PSVR? *spawn

when it's not much bigger than traditionnal glasses, AR enabled, so you can see a virtual big screen on the wall of you living room, yeah it might replace traditionnal equipement.

@Shifty Geezer I watch reviews, but I don't parrot them.

Your point with the Ps1 is flawed. Yes we haven't gained any new inputs since 1998, but color TV, higher pixel counts, details and far more advanced game logic can't be compared to a new camera which adds no new details, and in fact serves to lessen details and game logic because of the need for more frames. But that's really all I have to say on this, I proudly do not care about VR and that's that.

Honestly though HDR gaming is pretty bullshit right now too, a lot of games don't look much different, and some games with hdr mode just serves to make the sdr mode washed out like in wipeout ps4. And yes I have a quality 4k hdr tv.

BUT Hdr will get better next gen.

No Shifty, my approach in life is to do what I like and I have the final say. But I am listening to your opinions, it's just that we have different views on VR and you've presented nothing convincing. None of my data is wrong on VR, nor yours.

Nobody is going to convince me skyrim is a Good game with a metacritic score.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've presented nothing convincing. None of my data is wrong on VR...
You state:
Psvr is in bargain bins everywhere...
Untrue. PSVR isn't in bargain bins everywhere (unless you have evidence beyond you've seen it in a few shops local to you), I link to current retail prices as evidence.

and sony never supported it properly
Untrue. There are many titles including top rated ones, including the highest rated VR title of all time just released. I link to the games list to show there's support.

All this talk of "VR" which is basically a camera viewpoint
Untrue. VR is an all-encompassing sensory immersion. It has no parallels in any other medium.

I have not seen much besides optional VR modes like in RE and gt sport.
True. You haven't seen much because you haven't been following, but after being presented with a list of ~250 VT titles, you then just dismiss it as saying they don't amount to much, despite neither trying them yourself nor listening to the many users who have positive and negative things to say about VR.

So yeah, a lot of your data is wrong, or just missing because there isn't any. Present some evidence/data that PSVR is in the bargain bins and Sony haven't supported it. Present some evidence that despite people saying VR offers a magical experience, it's actually just a camera viewpoint.

Edit: Another analogy would be a roller-coaster versus a train. Both are tracked vehicles that follow rails, but one is exciting and can make you sick because it moves in a completely different way. Even though VR uses the same display concept as a TV, it moves completely differently and provides completely different experiences, hence its capacity to make people physically sick. The fact it can make people sick should make it obvious to you that playing VR is a very different beast to playing games on a TV, and it can make you physically feel different.

Last edited:
Dreams will support vr in day 1. This might be a big deal as that seems to be one of the more innovative games/technologies around(if it ever get's released)

Media Molecule, the creators of LittleBigPlanet (2008) and Tearaway (2013), have been working on their upcoming game/game-creation tool Dreams for PS4 for the past few years, and although we knew PSVR support was destined to come someday, as first announced at Paris Games Week 2015, we weren’t sure if PSVR users would get the chance to play at launch. Now, the studio reveals, PSVR owners can definitely count on day one support.
https://www.roadtovr.com/media-molecules-dreams-confirmed-support-psvr-launch/

https://www.gameinformer.com/exclusive-video/2018/10/03/229-rapid-fire-questions-about-dreams-0

Yep, still just a camera folks. All encompassing sensory immersion? Where does the sound come from? ;-) Pretty sure you need headphones, surround sound. You couldn't possibly try any harder todismiss another's personal opinion. Yes I know about 3d audio - it's not in the headset.
Your ignorant dismissal is cartoonishly insipid.
I mean seriously do you feel better now?

I think i've wasted enough life on forums.

Yep, still just a camera folks. All encompassing sensory immersion? Where does the sound come from? ;-) Pretty sure you need headphones, surround sound. You couldn't possibly try any harder todismiss another's personal opinion. Yes I know about 3d audio - it's not in the headset.

You are not making any sense. What did you expect? Sounds and images that are beamed wirelessly directed to your brain? You are really grasping at straws here.

It is a camera view that is directly controlled by your head movement! We're you not saying that nothing changed with VR regarding control/interaction? There you have it, a very big change. You do not press buttons or move a stick to change your perspective of the game world, it mimics real life! It also gives you depth perception through the lens, something you don't have on flat screens, not even greatly with 3D glasses (look a little bit offscreen and illusion is gone that does not happen with VR).

Honestly, have you tried ANY VR? You seem to believe that you just have a screen glued to your face!

We are not trying to dismiss your personal opinion, we are trying to tell you that your personal opinion is not based on facts! You show that much everytime you post! People tell you facts here and you are the one dismissing them with no backup whatsoever. Do you also believe the earth is flat? Because arguing with you is like arguing with a flat earth believer! Your opinion is not valid by itself, you know? Just having an opinion does not make you right.

Screenshot-20181015-092933-01.jpg

GJP56s

images

If you don't like PSVR that's fine, plenty of people don't. But they don't because they tried and made them sick, get dizzy, simply don't like games, etc.

You, on the other hand, are pulling arguments out of your *as, based on nothing but your own prejudice, without presenting any research whatsoever and that is why you are having your ass handed over. Be more humble and admit you really had no idea of many things you were babbling about!

Last edited:

I don't know what's going on in your personal life right now, but there's certainly something that's making you a bit more aggressive and obnoxious than your usual self on this board. Every forum user has done it, but it's always unnecessary.

We're just a bunch of nerds talking about tech and gaming. I normally enjoy what you have to say. Just join in the fun, and treat this place as a nerdy little escape from the shittiness of the world.

Of course, if you had PSVR, you could escape even more effectively into an even more elaborate world ;)

PSVR comes with earbuds and a suitable audio chain to use other ear-pieces if you prefer. There's no camera in the headset. So how do you get from 'it's a head-tracking display with positional, stereo audio' to 'it's still just a camera folks'?? And said in response to you saying none of your data is wrong and then being presented with a list of incorrect, uncorroborated assertions???

In fairness, it does often function as another output option and there's a lot of chatter over how that's a bad thing. I disagree.

Bound is a third person platformer that, initially, only had a VR mode in which you could switch between different, fixed cameras - imagine a series of CCTV cameras dotted around the perimeter of a room. A couple of patches later, they decided to provide VR users with the option of a typical 3rd person camera - tracking and rotational. Everyone's fine with it, even if they prefer the fixed perspective. So we know 3rd person games work.

Teleporting is still the default way of moving in most first person VR games, but people aren't being made nauseous en masse by their free movement options. I've yet to try the Aim controller, but I've only heard positive things. The Move controllers are glitchy and in need of updating, but they generally work well enough, and Skyrim's fantastic with them. So we know 1st person games work.

So there's scope for it to become an option in more standard games to come, whilst VR only games like Superhot VR will continue to release because of an expanding market of VR headsets capable of high fidelity gaming. Hopefully.

As much as I'm a proponent of VR, there are times when I want a more detached experience. But, I regularly find myself thinking how great a 2D game would be in VR - Uncharted 4, No Man's Sky, or God of War for example. IMO the best way to utilise VR headsets (and 120fps capable TVs,) would be three performance profiles and their variety of output options to become a first party standard:
1 - 30FPS 2D
2 - 30FPS 3D/60FPS 2D
3 - 60FPS 3D/120FPS 2D/VR

Here's another thing that's bloody awesome about VR: response times. It's incredible how much slicker VR games feel compared to their non-vr counterparts, even if they're just regular games with VR modes bolted on. Going back to 2d Wipeout or 2d REVII is really hard when you're used to controls that effectively require CRT-like response times less the devs are okay with you vomiting all over the living room.

Here's another thing that's bloody awesome about VR: response times. It's incredible how much slicker VR games feel compared to their non-vr counterparts, even if they're just regular games with VR modes bolted on. Going back to 2d Wipeout or 2d REVII is really hard when you're used to controls that effectively require CRT-like response times less the devs are okay with you vomiting all over the living room.

Yeah, that's one reason I keep hoping VR takes off. Then devs will hopefully stop with horrible 30 Hz games and have much more responsive 60, 90, or 120 Hz games.

Regards,
SB

There was that facebook gig a while ago, with the audience flat out told there is no suitable off the shelf display technology, & I get the feeling a lot of bargaining early on was done precisely because of OLED's preassumed enabling role , so there is a great deal of cognitive dissonance, and not because someone ever said that high input lag is good.

Time to buy?

Sony’s PSVR headset is going to come down to $199.99 at select retailers for the shopping event, in bundles that include some of the headsets best games. This new price, combined with the headset’s accessibility and impressive back catalog of games, means that this is one of the first times we can wholeheartedly tell you that you should buy a VR headset

https://uploadvr.com/you-should-definitely-buy-a-psvr-this-black-friday/

It was already hitting $200, wasn't it?

I wish they'd sell the new processing unit separately. The original one is a dud: no HDR pass-through, fan is always-on while the thing is plugged at the wall so I either count the months until it inevitably fails or I have to drag my ass to plug it off manually, it's rather laggy.. the thing is just not functional IMO.

Back