The real PC equivalent of the PS4 console?

RDR2 is impressive on any platform minus PS4 Pro because R* choosed a crappy sampling solution, but I guess they can easily fix it.

as with GTAV, RDR2 is the most impressive game of the generation so far and likely to stay so.

It will be interesting if, at the end of the generation, somebody could test how the best looking console titles run on 2013 PCs at console quality settings.

RDR2 is impressive on any platform minus PS4 Pro because R* choosed a crappy sampling solution, but I guess they can easily fix it.

as with GTAV, RDR2 is the most impressive game of the generation so far and likely to stay so.

It will be interesting if, at the end of the generation, somebody could test how the best looking console titles run on 2013 PCs at console quality settings.
A lot of games released now or after may not run on a 2013 computer because driver, software or OS support will prevent them. The same thing happened last gen, where you could have a top spec PC in 2006 or even 2007 that was more powerful than PS3 or 360 but couldn't run 2013's Tomb Raider because of OS or Direct X support.

A lot of games released now or after may not run on a 2013 computer because driver, software or OS support will prevent them. The same thing happened last gen, where you could have a top spec PC in 2006 or even 2007 that was more powerful than PS3 or 360 but couldn't run 2013's Tomb Raider because of OS or Direct X support.

Many keep compatibilities for years, 2013 is only 5 years away I think that this risk is low.

Many keep compatibilities for years, 2013 is only 5 years away I think that this risk is low.

At some point Microsoft will full deprecate 32-bit code and WOW64 will be no more. On that dark day you'll see a lot of software, not just games, cease working on Windows 10.

For BFV the minimal requirement is a gtx660/7850, about whats in the base ps4, 2012 entry level gpu. I has 680 4gb around that time, still runs current games very well.

On that dark day you'll see a lot of software, not just games, cease working on Windows 10.

Im sure ms or someone will find some solution to that.

For BFV the minimal requirement is a gtx660/7850, about whats in the base ps4, 2012 entry level gpu. I has 680 4gb around that time, still runs current games very well.

7850 "entry level"? I'd say the 7770 or even the 7750 was more apt to be called entry level. They wiped the floor with past gen, and even had some staying power into this current gen.

Im sure ms or someone will find some solution to that.

minimum requirements settings often fall short of matching PS4 quality

7850 was mid range, like a 1060 not entry level, even today a 7850 easily beats something like a GT 1030 by a significant margin
it was actually almost 70% of a 680 at launch according to TPU, and now it's closer because GCN has gained more performance with driver updates and newer games on average since early 2012.

comparing PS4 vs the 7850 PC on BF1 will be fairly interesting, still it's a game that is likely CPU limited on the PS4 for multiplayer.

Theres a 7850/7870 comparable gpu in the ps4, bfv wont perform that far off on pcs with those gpu's. Theres ppl complaining about ps4 graphics and performance, thats for the beta, but the pc version does much better.
Id rather play bfv on a 7870/i5 pc then ps4 if i want gfx/performance.

7850/70 launched march 2012, then it probally more mid end then late 2013. By then id consider it upper tier low end, seeing what was avaible.
Even for early 2012, 7950 was much faster, 7970 even more so.

Also, out of gtx 660/670/680, some might see the 660 as the entry model of the line up, as the lower usually isnt even avaible at launch, and arent even gaming oriented gpus.

The 7000 series performance stack was a pretty nice spread. Crazy to think the graphical foundation for the consoles had already been available almost two years prior, and even at the medium end was already beating them (7870). Pitcairn served AMD well but served for waaaaay too long.

Last edited:
Theres a 7850/7870 comparable gpu in the ps4, bfv wont perform that far off on pcs with those gpu's. Theres ppl complaining about ps4 graphics and performance, thats for the beta, but the pc version does much better.
Id rather play bfv on a 7870/i5 pc then ps4 if i want gfx/performance.

7850/70 launched march 2012, then it probally more mid end then late 2013. By then id consider it upper tier low end, seeing what was avaible.
Even for early 2012, 7950 was much faster, 7970 even more so.

Also, out of gtx 660/670/680, some might see the 660 as the entry model of the line up, as the lower usually isnt even avaible at launch, and arent even gaming oriented gpus.

when the PS4 was released there weren't really massive changes compared to early 2012, remember that they were stuck on 28nm for longer than expected, by the end of 2013 or early 2014 they probably had planned to have 20nm GPUs, which never happened;
not even the 750 TI was out at the time, so the 7850 was still very much (lower tier) mid range, faster than the more recent 7790/260x.

when the PS4 was released there weren't really massive changes compared to early 2012, remember that they were stuck on 28nm for longer than expected, by the end of 2013 or early 2014 they probably had planned to have 20nm GPUs, which never happened;
not even the 750 TI was out at the time, so the 7850 was still very much (lower tier) mid range, faster than the more recent 7790/260x.

There wasnt that much change since 2011 either, and so can one go on. It sure wasnt and still isnt like the 90's/early 2000's. PS4 was rather on the low-end side when it launched though, before PS4 there was GTX Titan 6GB; 7970GHZ 6GB, GTX 780, R9 290X. Its CPU wasnt anything special either, as there where fast i7's and i5 out there. The only thing the PS4 had going for it was its 8GDDR5, even though that is for the whole system. How much VRAM do you need anyway to match base PS4?

There wasnt that much change since 2011 either, and so can one go on. It sure wasnt and still isnt like the 90's/early 2000's. PS4 was rather on the low-end side when it launched though, before PS4 there was GTX Titan 6GB; 7970GHZ 6GB, GTX 780, R9 290X. Its CPU wasnt anything special either, as there where fast i7's and i5 out there. The only thing the PS4 had going for it was its 8GDDR5, even though that is for the whole system. How much VRAM do you need anyway to match base PS4?

I disagree, from 2011 to 2012 we can point at the transition from 40nm to 28nm GPUs, TeraScale2/3 to GCN 1.0, Fermi to Kepler midrange VGAs vram from 1 to 2GB
from early 2012 to late 2013 we see Kepler, GCN 1.1 midrange cards still using 2GB

the 7850-7870 was around half the performance of the Titan
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan/27.html

but the Titan cost over twice the price of the PS4
even compared to Titan, 290x and so on I think it's fair to say the 7850 was still a clear midrange product, closer to the top card at the time than a 1060 or 580 is now.

regarding vram, it depends on the game, for some games you can get the same quality with 2GB, for others it will require more, I don't think I ever saw a game that had to run with lower quality than the PS4 version with a fast 3GB card, the PS4 is using (wasting?) its fast GDDR5 for things that would probably not cause a significant performance hit running on much slower PC system ram.

the CPU is a different story, it was clearly low performance compared to PC no doubt, people called it a tablet CPU (and not the Ipad Pro kind of tablet!) for a reason... but it at least had more cores than the average gaming CPU;

PS4 gpu was comparable to over a year old mid-range gpu by the time it launched. Lets hope the next PS will be more impressive hardware wise.

Besides that, looking at the link you posted, that puts the 7850/70 around GTX570 performance, a 2010 GPU that was the mid end of the bunch (faster then GTX 560, slower then GTX 580). However you want to put it, the consoles that launched in late 2013 didnt really have impressive GPU's for their time, in comparison to what was available.
Now i do think it is very impressive what some developers did with modes 2012 hardware, and im sure PS5 will have higher end hardware for its time, cant wait to see what developers can do with that.

Last edited:
PS4 gpu was comparable to over a year old mid-range gpu by the time it launched. Lets hope the next PS will be more impressive hardware wise.

Besides that, looking at the link you posted, that puts the 7850/70 around GTX570 performance, a 2010 GPU that was the mid end of the bunch (faster then GTX 560, slower then GTX 580). However you want to put it, the consoles that launched in late 2013 didnt really have impressive GPU's for their time, in comparison to what was available.
Now i do think it is very impressive what some developers did with modes 2012 hardware, and im sure PS5 will have higher end hardware for its time, cant wait to see what developers can do with that.

Why? Sony is the market leader, PS4 has been a resounding success. If anything Sony has the blueprint for success. Cutting edge expensive hardware just isn't a prerequisite for being a very successful console. Crafting the best possible hardware they can for $400-500 without taking losses seems like it would be the goal for PS5.

Why? Sony is the market leader, PS4 has been a resounding success. If anything Sony has the blueprint for success. Cutting edge expensive hardware just isn't a prerequisite for being a very successful console. Crafting the best possible hardware they can for $400-500 without taking losses seems like it would be the goal for PS5.

That is very true, and it wasnt why i was hoping for more powerfull hardware launch. I was just thinking how things could be with sony exclusives when there was even better hardware. But your right, hardware doesnt make a console, software does as evident by Sony's success with PSX, PS2 and PS4.

That is very true, and it wasnt why i was hoping for more powerfull hardware launch. I was just thinking how things could be with sony exclusives when there was even better hardware. But your right, hardware doesnt make a console, software does as evident by Sony's success with PSX, PS2 and PS4.

I think the rollout of a new platform is also very important. The messaging needs to be clear and easy to understand, and make there isn't a shoot yourself in the foot moment like Microsoft had with the proposed DRM when Xbox One was announced. Being the more powerful hardware amount for a whole lot, but being $100 more expensive and also being the less capable hardware was another shoot yourself in the foot moment for Microsoft. Sony is in a very good place in the global market, and it would take some bonehead moves by Sony, or some unforeseen very desirable advantage that enamored consumers with the next Xbox. The Xbox brand just hasnt had anywhere near the success the Playstation has outside of the US and UK. Europe as a whole and certainly Japan have been predominately PlayStation.

Europe as a whole and certainly Japan have been predominately PlayStation.

Sounds familiar, here in sweden atleast its mostly Playstation, and Nintendo, when its about consoles. Felt like the 2001 xbox was more popular then the One, even though that cant be the case. I dont think it has anything or much to do with the exclusives to the platform, its just that Playstation is the most-known brand here for consoles in comparison to Xbox.
As a pc gamer, i feel a PS is the console to have over an xbox, and for me thats because of the titles Sony has to offer that arent on pc.

Back