YouTube Video Viewership Numbers and correlation with other stuff *spawn*

Install base matters a bit, but not by much. As I've said several times, install base gets diversified as it grows, especially when they sell well in internationally.

I think the best answer is to compare Gears 5 to Tsushima : Basically 1M vs 6M.

As far as i know, the ratio is not 6:1 in hardware sales...

Last edited:
It's like saying sponsoring or advertising are stupid... anything that allows your brand to be more visible to the general population is positive.

E3 is like a giant advertising for your brand and you judge a good advertising on how many people saw it.
Clearly eastmen means discussing them and not actually getting them! As a company, you want views. They aren't intrinsically useful, comparable metrics though any more than a self-selecting poll on a forum is.

It's a case of people wanting info to compare looking for it in tea leaves and fish guts...

Last edited:
How do the views work? When I click on the links I see lower numbers in Youtube than the ones reported next to the title

How do the views work? When I click on the links I see lower numbers in Youtube than the ones reported next to the title
YouTube view counts are estimates and cached depending on the count and where it's displayed.

In video manager, in video view,, in search,, all different

none of this matters
https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-e3-briefing-sets-twitch-record-17-million-concurrent-viewers
MS was the highest viewd live event of the convention , had the highest concurrent viewer count of any stream ever on twitch and increased 600k concurrent viewers from 2017 e3 which it self doubled the viewers of 2016.

• Xbox — 1.7 million concurrent viewers
  • Ubisoft — 1.6 million concurrent viewers
  • PlayStation — 1.5 million concurrent viewers
  • Bethesda — 964,000 concurrent viewers
  • PC Gaming Show — 893,000 concurrent viewers

The mixer stream was also advertised on the xbox dashboard which makes this even more impressive.
But again it really tells us nothing .

none of this matters

1,7M is very close to 1,5M and is nothing compared to the view count of a game like TLOU2 alone... currently close to 10M...

Also, as i've already said, the PS4 also performs very well outside of the USA unlike the XB1.

The Sony show was very very late in Europe and nobody watched it, except for a very tiny minority of people.

So this metric is biased for too many reasons. Different hours around the globe, etc.

Sony made a boring presentation anyway. People were interested by the games and not their useless comments.

Sony's conference would've been at like 2-3AM in the bigger parts of EUR on a Tuesday morning, or 10AM in Japan. MS' conference was at 4PM EST, which would've been 9-10PM in the bigger parts of EUR on a Sunday night.

Person X - Here's a metric I like, we should all use this one.

Person Y - Here's another metric that doesn't mirror that one.

Person X - I don't like that one, we shouldn't use it.

Goes both ways. People should understand there are problems inherent with trying to make any guesses about future performance or absolute performance based on any of these.

About the only thing useful that can be said is, PS4 has more owners and thus should be getting the most views.

Regards,
SB

none of this matters

In the grand scheme of things, no it doesn't. Just makes for good board bantering. :yep2:

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-e3-briefing-sets-twitch-record-17-million-concurrent-viewers
MS was the highest viewd live event of the convention , had the highest concurrent viewer count of any stream ever on twitch and increased 600k concurrent viewers from 2017 e3 which it self doubled the viewers of 2016.

Which is kind of the point. Microsoft wasn't lacking conference viewership across YouTube, Twitch, or any another social media video platform. The point being made is about viewership post E3 conferences. The games, especially the tentpole ones. Granted, every video click may not be accounted for (i.e., secure sub-linking and embedding protocols), across all the well known platforms, and the not-so-known platforms, does create room for error. But that applies to everyone (e.g., Sony, Nintendo, EA, etc.) that had an E3 conference, not just Microsoft.

Sony's conference would've been at like 2-3AM in the bigger parts of EUR on a Tuesday morning, or 10AM in Japan. MS' conference was at 4PM EST, which would've been 9-10PM in the bigger parts of EUR on a Sunday night.

Conversely that's noon-ish in Japan, and would have picked up viewers from that region. Obviously not enough to completely offset the EU.

Regards,
SB

Person X - I don't like that one, we shouldn't use it.

No, these are very rational arguments, i'm sorry. There is no bias.

Once again, the Sony conference was very late in Europe and the PS4 performs very well in this continent. Also, the day matters as already pointed out by djskribbles.

Youtube is a much more fair metric since people can watch what they interest them, no matter the day or time.

Live views are the less reliable measurement and 1,7M is still very low anyway compared to the most watched games.

Conversely that's noon-ish in Japan, and would have picked up viewers from that region. Obviously not enough to completely offset the EU.

Regards,
SB
It would've been 10AM in Japan. Not only is that not a great time, E3 is more of a western event.

MS's event was at a far more ideal time for the large majority of their install base, while Sony's conference was only ideal for NA -- probably about 33% of their install base.

Last edited:

Well who's fault is that? :p

1,7M is very close to 1,5M and is nothing compared to the view count of a game like TLOU2 alone... currently close to 10M...

Also, as i've already said, the PS4 also performs very well outside of the USA unlike the XB1.

The Sony show was very very late in Europe and nobody watched it, except for a very tiny minority of people.

So this metric is biased for too many reasons. Different hours around the globe, etc.

Sony made a boring presentation anyway. People were interested by the games and not their useless comments.

Ahhhh but here is the thing and why none of this matters. Is watching a youtube video at some point within the end of the conference till the first time you looked at numbers matter more than people willing to tune in a fixed time and watch a full hour long conference ? I would take it to mean that there is more interest if you tuned in at the specific time if I wanted MS to look better , you would obviously claim that views after the fact are more important on 3-4 minute videos or however long they are if you want sony to matter. I could then counter that Sony was not on Mixer and MS had almost another 1.5m viewers on that platform alone streaming the event.

Your already claiming bias on the twitch stream for the hour it is on , but of course I can counter that if people actually cared about the sony stuff they would have stayed up and watched it. See how this works and why none of this matters.

No, these are very rational arguments, i'm sorry. There is no bias.

Once again, the Sony conference was very late in Europe and the PS4 performs very well in this continent. Also, the day matters as already pointed out by djskribbles.

Youtube is a much more fair metric since people can watch what they interest them, no matter the day or time.

Live views are the less reliable measurement and 1,7M is still very low anyway compared to the most watched games.
except if more ms fans watched the streams live why would they rewatch the trailers at a later date ? Your making little sense as you try and make a metric sony looks good in the only one that matters. I watched the stream live , I didn't go look up trailers because I already saw them . Not only that but I was dedicated enough to tune in while the stream was happening. The sony fans viewing the youtube trailers didn't put in the same effort .

These numbers are all meaningless .

I'm going to repeat mylself but the amount of views on Youtube are definitely one factor to take into account among others.

Both GOW and Spiderman had a lot of views on Youtube for their respective trailers...

If you're really popular on Youtube and you get a great Metascore, it's very unlikely that your game will fail.

Also, Youtube is a valid setting to determine the success in E3. It's not fanboyism, just real data.

Last edited:
Just to see on YouTube with a quick informal look,

COD: WW2 E3 trailer - ~23 million
God of War E3 trailer - ~19 million
NBA 2k18 E3 trailer - ~4 million

Sorta, but not really relevant? A 4 million view title did better on PS4 than a 19 million view title? :p Just picked the ones out of the above charts that came out last year to try to be as fair as possible.

But just for funsies.

Fallout 4 E3 trailer - 22 million
Fallout 76 trailer - 32 million

COD: Infinite - ~41 million O.O

Poor Far Cry 5 - only ~4 million
BF1 E3 trailer - ~16 million

I guess anything over a million views is likely to do well. :) After that relative view amounts don't have much relevance.

Just went with the highest for each that I saw. I'm sure fans will watch every video that comes out thus most people that watched other videos probably also watched the launch/reveal trailer.

Regards,
SB

Sorta, but not really relevant? A 4 million view title did better on PS4 than a 19 million view title? :p Just picked the ones out of the above charts that came out last year to try to be as fair as possible.

1) It's only in the USA where basketball is very popular.

2) Sport games are basically always the same formula. There's literally no interest to watch the trailers.

3) NBA 2K18 is a 2017 game while GOW is a 2018 game.

Just went with the highest for each that I saw.

Indeed because Far Cry 5 has way more views than that, simply splitted in several videos.

Back