Red Dead Redemption 2

the genre reminds me somewhat to the song "I miss Billy the Kid", which I find very catchy.

"I miss Billy the Kid,
the times that he had,
the life that he lived..."

There's some funky looking dithering going on with some of the things.

https://i.lensdump.com/i/A6MRKk.png

For example, the wires and some of the poles in that picture. Is this the PS4-P half res thing or something else?

Regards,
SB
Interesting find, a revisit to DF's video could give a hint, but they didnt mention that. Maybe that doesn't happen in the XBX version and they didnt touch that issue?

Detroit and The Order, shadow casting lights everywhere in those two.
You can't really compare an open world game which has a lot of merit, with a corridor game.

i don't see it much as i play on a 1080p TV without supersampling activated.
I should put the res back to 1080p for the screens maybe.
It's certainly due to their reconstruction method.
I think it's gorgeous with supersampling on my Pro 1080p but it's a subjective experience. Some prefer the slightly crisper visuals and more consistent frame rate when supersampling is off.

You can't really compare an open world game which has a lot of merit, with a corridor game.
I'm not comparing them, just listing out the games that have equal or more shadow casting lights. Actually Spiderman does something similar too being an open world game and all.

For example, the wires and some of the poles in that picture. Is this the PS4-P half res thing or something else?

Regards,
SB
Their engine uses dithering extensively for transparencies and LOD transitions, and relies on TAA to hide it as best as it can. Not an uncommon technical choice this gen, allows you to render transparencies within the deferred pass.

Their engine uses dithering extensively for transparencies and LOD transitions, and relies on TAA to hide it as best as it can. Not an uncommon technical choice this gen, allows you to render transparencies within the deferred pass.

Yeah, Uncharted 4 did the same thing. The only thing I don't like about their TAA is that it's applied everywhere, so ghosting is very obvious on very high contrast areas (e.g. brown rope against green grass), I think it's far from the best TAA implementations and one area you can criticize RDR2 :p

Playing this game religiously. Didn't think I'd play it as much as I have. I'm honestly totally pulled in by all of the side-content, and have barely advanced the story

I really struggled to remain interested in almost all of the main story missions in Chapter 2. It really is an over-extended tutorial zone and while the intention may have been to allow the player some freedom, eventually you will will want to press on and the game will be handing out missions that are still obviously tutorials but for things you've likely worked out for yourself - or just googled.

Chapter 3 was so much better and it feels like far less travelling around so it all feels tighter as well.

I think I'm only 20% for story progress, but I've found a lot of treasure and a lot of weird shit in cabins in the woods.

I'm terrified to go into cabins in the woods. If the door open or missing then I'm tossing in a stick of dynamite first then switching to my shotgun handy. :yep2: Too much bad shit hangs about in cabins in the woods and there is a lot of genuinely macabre stuff in the world. So good! :yes:

Regards,
SB

RDR2 also uses a film grain post-processing effect (similar to GTA V, but slightly heavier), giving that artistic Western movie look and feel. It's Rockstar's poor CBR solution on Pro, that hurts this particular effect, along with TAA. Small objects, hair, fur, certain shadowing depths (within the antumbra range), simple geometry mesh/lines, clothing, and all manners of foliage/trees on the Pro version can succumb to this dithering look (especially up-close), which of course isn't dithering at all (trust me, what you're seeing isn't "purposely used dither," it's a resolution sampling and AA resolve issue with film-grain egging it on). The XB1-X version (image quality) on the other hand is pretty clean... very little image noise... the film grain isn't super obvious... and the TAA solution isn't playing havoc with the overall image clarity.

All that being said, I wish Rockstar would allow Pro users the option towards a more common excepted native resoltion (1440p or 1800p), rather than CBR. And XB1-X users the option for dynamic resolution (dropping it slightly under full 4K when needed). Both these solutions should resolve any framerate issues within larger campgrounds and larger areas/cities with more geometry and population requirements.

Last edited:
The game is really amazing. I will not write about obvious things like graphics and music. In RDR2, the world is really interactive, even the npc change their texts over time. RDR2 is completely different than GTA 5, the game is slow and reminds me of Western Spaghetti. Players waiting for the "Western GTA" may feel disappointed, but this is a really great game. I think that RDR2 will be remembered for a long time. It is a pity that there is no version on PC :(

Whoa. So is everyone just exploringn random cabins in the woods? Or are these quests that require you to go in them? I’m clearly not approaching RDR like I do my BioWare rpgs

Whoa. So is everyone just exploringn random cabins in the woods? Or are these quests that require you to go in them? I’m clearly not approaching RDR like I do my BioWare rpgs

There is a lot of cool stuff just to be found out in the world. There is plenty of weird, freaky and straight up abnormal, not to mention a fair amount of paranormal. I've been captured, drugged a few times. The game rewards you for exploring, you'll find valuables, unique weapons, special 'abilities' and more but it'll just mess you up for sticking you nose where somebody doesn't want it.

If you riding past some place and you're not in a hurry, it's invariably worth checking it out. :yes: Almost nothing is flagged on the map, not even with the white dots when you get close.

I'm exploring everything, not rushing through on completing the game (51% completed). Just a minute ago, found a partial map embedded into some poor suckers *****, with his **** spreaded everywhere. Loving the fact you can do everything at your own pace, no immediate need on completing a certain story activity on moving the game forward. Also, can someone point me in the right direction of a certain couple I need to have some smoking guns, err, I mean words with? Let's call him Boss Hog and her Mrs. Stuffing.

Everything else ranges from average to great but the one thing that always surprises me when playing the game is how good the lighting is.

Their lighting tech is probably the best in the industry, but does the foliage cast shadows in such situation (dynamic shadows from your torch) ? :

reddeadredemption2_20d0izj.jpg

Example here :

(Not a comparison just to show what i'm talking about).

Just finished Chapter 3 and according to PSN the trophy (Settlings Feuds) has been completed by 18.5% of players.

Yikes. Also, Chapter 3? Very, very good. :yes:

I really struggled to remain interested in almost all of the main story missions in Chapter 2. It really is an over-extended tutorial zone and while the intention may have been to allow the player some freedom, eventually you will will want to press on and the game will be handing out missions that are still obviously tutorials but for things you've likely worked out for yourself - or just googled.

Chapter 3 was so much better and it feels like far less travelling around so it all feels tighter as well.

Thanks for this - I'm struggling to get game time (only just started chapter 2 and saved the guy from the train on the bridge). I'm really struggling to get into this which is a gutter because it's my most anticipated game this gen (well, there is LoU2!). Anyway, I'm finding it hard to remember which buttons to press, I think it's because I'm a PS gamer playing on an Xbox - adding to the confusion!

Will stick to the missions on chapter 2 and then start to play it in an open fashion based on your comments above...seems the best way to play. hopefully it won't take too long and the games starts to click, but it's hard when I don't get a decent chunk of game time!

This is a long game and eventually the button and menus become second nature. That doesn't excuse the poor menu interface but once you're used to it, it's no longer a source of confusion.

Glad to read this and your comments about Chapter 3. Still on 2, and I am enjoying the game... but that part where the guy gets his foot stuck almost broke me. It seemed like they purposefully made the controls difficult in order to add tension to the moment because they force to you die repeatedly before you understand a new control scheme that you haven't yet been introduced to. "Hit R" Oh, no that's actually a little arrow on the top and it means "Push R Up". After teaching you there's two ways to use the A button - short press and long hold, on this occasion, they actually want you to tap A repeatedly.

Sure, once you can figure it out through trial and error it's really easy to get past. But that's kind of what makes me think they used a convoluted control scheme to artificially create tension through failure and that just seems like cheap or poor game design to me.

Can't say enough good stuff about the visuals or some of the other interactions, freedoms, story, etc..

Back