Linux is a pile of shit

I'm pretty sure the OP has vacated this thread, seeing as they never told us which distribution comes with an installer that lacks a partition manager...

I never said it didn't include a partition manager, I said it didn't launch. Instead I had to prepare a live CD andere use that to format the disk, and only then Ubuntu server 16.04 would install (and launch the partition manager).

I said that much in my previous posts.

Ah ok, so you're saying the Ubuntu install image wasn't able to launch its own partition manager, right?

Never heard of that before. Oddly corrupted install image I guess. Did you do a checksum verification after download? I've never heard of such surgical file corruption before.

So you want to delete a DNS rule from your iptables? Let me fuck up your ssh connection as well. Good luck finding somebody that can physically reboot your device because this fucking shit software just does whatever the fuck it pleases.

Not a day goes by without wondering how the fuck Linshit devs manage to create crap like this.

But, but, but, isn't 2019 going to be the year of Linux desktop?

So you want to delete a DNS rule from your iptables? Let me fuck up your ssh connection as well. Good luck finding somebody that can physically reboot your device because this fucking shit software just does whatever the fuck it pleases.
You learn over time how not to lock yourself out of your server. I don't know where your server is but you should always have an ability to remote restart it. VMs are great for Linux servers including that functionality.

I agree. But not achievable at this moment. That however doesn't change that, in my opinion, a firewall shouldn't break SSH just by deleting a DNS rule.

I agree. But not achievable at this moment. That however doesn't change that, in my opinion, a firewall shouldn't break SSH just by deleting a DNS rule.
I'm sure there was a logical reason for it breaking. Even things such as using "localhost" can break in iptables if you mess with DNS in a certain way since it's a host name used by BIND.

The "Desktop" is dead, as Microsoft and the people still left putting up with Windows are (slowly) finding out.
while relatively true, since you can have a powerful laptop these days, desktop is the best thing for quality and productivity. 4k monitor, and a good computer is all that you need

Hell, I have 3 monitors. A 4k 49" monster, a 30" 2560x1600 monitor and then a 27" 2560x1440 monitor with 10 point touch support.

...and I feel like I need more. :p So useful for data analysis, research, and coding. I have no idea how I survived back when I was using single 12-13" monitors decades ago.

Same reason that while I love my 15" Surface Book 2, it's agonizing doing anything on it for long periods of time (which I sometimes have to do). God forbid trying to do anything on an under 10" tablet or phone.../shudder.

I'm so used to being able to see multiple sources of information and to be able to quickly scan them at any time.

Regards,
SB

experienced the best of Linux today. I've had a XML, DTDs and Schemas exam.... I was so calm, practiced sooo much, I was sure I would get a 10 (AAA) mark.

Ok..., a bit of background. Our Markup Languages teacher allowed us to use whatever software we prefer for the task. I used Visual Studio Code most of the time, and used XML Copy Editor ONLY to validate the XML files against a DTD or Schema.

Fine, it worked. Tried other several editors until a couple of weeks ago I found out how good full-fledged Visual Studio (original Visual Studio, I'm not talking about VS Code here) is at creating XML and validating it against a schema in realtime.

I learnt so fast using good tools.

So in the exam, big surprise... The teacher who is a great teacher and a big proposer of using our favourite programs in class freely, asked us to make the exam in Linux with an admin account he created for the occasion...

That was surprising. We can dual boot the machines, but I never ever logged in into Linux -we use the most recent version of Ubuntu-.

Ok, I said... I knew my stuff so I was very calm. :smile2: But XML Copy Editor doesnt have a dark mode and syntax highlighting is not as good as in say Visual Studio Code, Atom, VIM or similar.

Still..., I knew my stuff so I was happy although I wanted to use Visual Studio, but still.....

However, then, something that had never happened to me when using the Windows 10 version of XML Copy Editor...., the program gave an odd Assert whatever message that closed XML Copy Editor several times under Linux --never ever that happened to me using Windows, as imperfect as Windows might be at times.

Ok, still manageable... I thought.

It happened several times, losing my progression, the exam had 3 timed parts (creating a specific XML from scratch, Schema and DTD) and time was at a prime.

But then, again..., things that NEVER happened to me in Windows, occurred in Linux.

For instance, in XML Copy Editor, and you select a sentence or a word or whatever, and want to delete it, Backspace did nothing, it didn't delete it. Ok... I had to use Supr.

Nice.... But then the the straw that broke the camel's back.., when time is at a prime, it can't be that if you have the word #Required for instance, and then you place the cursor over it to remove a letter or change a letter or write an entire new word, it can't be that there are letters "floating around".

I mean, it was alien stuff. But sometimes I wanted to write a word after deleting a different word and there were letters hanging....

If I placed the cursor at the right of those letters to delete them, backspace didnt work, Supr didnt work either, and that changed the code, it didnt' validate.

My marks have been great so far, 9,8 out of 10 (Databases), 9,3 out of 10 (second exam of Databases, MySQL based this time), and a 9 out of 10 in Java despite me not being the biggest Java user out there, but I am learning it.

Out of all the exams, the Markup Languages one was the exam which I thought I could get a 10 mark. The other exams seemed to me much more complicated than this one, but I studied many many hours for all the subjects and this one exam was a letdown.

Ok, that's my rant.

experienced the best of Linux today. I've had a XML, DTDs and Schemas exam.... I was so calm, practiced sooo much, I was sure I would get a 10 (AAA) mark.

Ok..., a bit of background. Our Markup Languages teacher allowed us to use whatever software we prefer for the task. I used Visual Studio Code most of the time, and used XML Copy Editor ONLY to validate the XML files against a DTD or Schema.

Fine, it worked. Tried other several editors until a couple of weeks ago I found out how good full-fledged Visual Studio (original Visual Studio, I'm not talking about VS Code here) is at creating XML and validating it against a schema in realtime.

I learnt so fast using good tools.

So in the exam, big surprise... The teacher who is a great teacher and a big proposer of using our favourite programs in class freely, asked us to make the exam in Linux with an admin account he created for the occasion...

That was surprising. We can dual boot the machines, but I never ever logged in into Linux -we use the most recent version of Ubuntu-.

Ok, I said... I knew my stuff so I was very calm. :smile2: But XML Copy Editor doesnt have a dark mode and syntax highlighting is not as good as in say Visual Studio Code, Atom, VIM or similar.

Still..., I knew my stuff so I was happy although I wanted to use Visual Studio, but still.....

However, then, something that had never happened to me when using the Windows 10 version of XML Copy Editor...., the program gave an odd Assert whatever message that closed XML Copy Editor several times under Linux --never ever that happened to me using Windows, as imperfect as Windows might be at times.

Ok, still manageable... I thought.

It happened several times, losing my progression, the exam had 3 timed parts (creating a specific XML from scratch, Schema and DTD) and time was at a prime.

But then, again..., things that NEVER happened to me in Windows, occurred in Linux.

For instance, in XML Copy Editor, and you select a sentence or a word or whatever, and want to delete it, Backspace did nothing, it didn't delete it. Ok... I had to use Supr.

Nice.... But then the the straw that broke the camel's back.., when time is at a prime, it can't be that if you have the word #Required for instance, and then you place the cursor over it to remove a letter or change a letter or write an entire new word, it can't be that there are letters "floating around".

I mean, it was alien stuff. But sometimes I wanted to write a word after deleting a different word and there were letters hanging....

If I placed the cursor at the right of those letters to delete them, backspace didnt work, Supr didnt work either, and that changed the code, it didnt' validate.

My marks have been great so far, 9,8 out of 10 (Databases), 9,3 out of 10 (second exam of Databases, MySQL based this time), and a 9 out of 10 in Java despite me not being the biggest Java user out there, but I am learning it.

Out of all the exams, the Markup Languages one was the exam which I thought I could get a 10 mark. The other exams seemed to me much more complicated than this one, but I studied many many hours for all the subjects and this one exam was a letdown.

Ok, that's my rant.
I highly doubt it is a system (config/library) issue. You could try Windows verson under Wine :)
I have a Windows 10 and start menu does not work properly. So I had to install classic shell :)

Linshit. Fuckbuntu. Good luck trying to find out how the fuck you are supposed to get this piece of shit OS to recognize new hardware and install a driver. You'd think some imbecile over the last couple of decades would have thought of doing this in a not completely convoluted impossible to understand way. You thought wrong.

Fuck Linux and fuck shittydev.

Back