Jon Burton of Traveller's Tales/Gamehut Discussion

Well, yeah. I'm sure lots of developers did hate it. I should have added a 3) to my list: having the time and resources.

One of the programmers from Core Design, who was working on Tomb Raider 2 for Saturn, said in an interview at the time that he liked the Saturn because the more you pressed the more it gave you (words to that effect).

Then Sony paid Eidos not to release it on Saturn so we never got to see how much more they'd been getting out of it. Lol.

I'm not entirely sure Tomb Raider 2 ever saw any real work on the Saturn. Common sense says that this should have been the case, since TR1 was a big hit on the Saturn, however it was still a fraction of the sales that it made on the PS1 plus there's never been any screenshots of it nor was it present at E3 1997 on the SEGA booth.

Funny story, there was a rumor for many years that there was a Tomb Raider game for the N64 in the works, however nothing materialized. A few years later, say around 2004 or so, some blurry photos and later even a video started appearing left and right of what seemed indeed to be a Tomb Raider game or at least very similar in style, complete with a female protagonist.
Turns out this wasn't the case, this was footage off of another cancelled game called Riqa, as far as I remember.

I think it's all about your intended scope. TT aimed big with Haven in that aspect and technically it seems they got it to work brilliantly.

Back