Sony: Q2 FY2018 Consolidated Financial Results

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
Link

u7ym7Fs.png

3.9 million PS4 units shipped during the quarter.

Last edited:
At this point, I'd be fine with "next-gen" being delayed until 2021 if it means an actual difference in our gaming experience.
I wonder how much can they course correct at this point if the original plan really was to launch in 2020.

At this point, I'd be fine with "next-gen" being delayed until 2021 if it means an actual difference in our gaming experience.

Zen 2 + whatever AMD GPU available in 2020 at 5nm TSMC would be a huge jump over 14nm Jaguar + Polaris, that's for sure :p

Sign me up for that, this gen is still going strong (looking at RDR2, Spider-Man, FH4, GoW, Detroit just this year alone :)).

I just don't see the improvements they can make in 2021 that will make much difference other than cost.I don't see 5nm being ready for consoles by then.

I thought from general rumours 2019 was the initial launch target which makes 2021 even harder IMO

2019 is/was the presumed PS5 release year based PS4 launching in 2013, and Pro being a mid-gen console launching in 2016, ergo 2019 you'd expect to see PS5. Sony said their reason for Pro was to minimise user migration to PC as their console's tech aged so the idea that they are targeting 2021 - eight years after PS4 and five after Pro makes no sense.

That said I do believe that if Sony are/were targeting 2019, that they would delay launch until they can wangle at least PS4 compatibility. If PlayStation owners are losing their game libraries again, those swing buyers who value their library may well consider it's time to switch (possibly, switch back) to Xbox where compatibility is likely a given. Particularly as streaming will only get better and you can hop into PS Now for the must have exclusives.

I just don't see the improvements they can make in 2021 that will make much difference other than cost.I don't see 5nm being ready for consoles by then.

The differences would be from 2019 vs 2021 designs. Those 2 years does a lot for yields and would likely include performance tweaks in addition to RAM and SSD price drops.

2019 is/was the presumed PS5 release year based PS4 launching in 2013, and Pro being a mid-gen console launching in 2016, ergo 2019 you'd expect to see PS5. Sony said their reason for Pro was to minimise user migration to PC as their console's tech aged so the idea that they are targeting 2021 - eight years after PS4 and five after Pro makes no sense.

That said I do believe that if Sony are/were targeting 2019, that they would delay launch until they can wangle at least PS4 compatibility. If PlayStation owners are losing their game libraries again, those swing buyers who value their library may well consider it's time to switch (possibly, switch back) to Xbox where compatibility is likely a given. Particularly as streaming will only get better and you can hop into PS Now for the must have exclusives.

There was an insider on resetera who basically implied 2019 was the target also, however more recently started saying 'plans change'.

As a company, you need to give yourself options and flexibility. They are likely to have hardware designs for 2019 up through to 2021/22. If you only give yourself a 2019 hardware spec, and for whatever reason it's not favourable to do it, then you're at a disadvantage when you launch in 2020 as you're spec was designed to launch a year earlier and new features could have entered a price bracket that would be feasible in 2020.

Which spec they green light is pretty much what we're discussing, Sony has been doing this too long to be inflexible on launch dates.

2019 is stupid, it will be a weak console, people won't be interested yet.

2020 is perfect but if further hardware improvements will be ready in 2021 it better release later.

The differences would be from 2019 vs 2021 designs. Those 2 years does a lot for yields and would likely include performance tweaks in addition to RAM and SSD price drops.

Yes but will that be enough to make it look more next gen than 2019 tech? I don't think so. Yes it will be more powerful but they could release a 2019 console and then a pro/x version in 2022.

The biggest thing not to release in 2019 for me would be software.

Yes but will that be enough to make it look more next gen than 2019 tech? I don't think so. Yes it will be more powerful but they could release a 2019 console and then a pro/x version in 2022.

The biggest thing not to release in 2019 for me would be software.

It may not look that much better than a 2019 console, but it's going to look a better when compared to a 2013 console than a 2019 console compared to a 2013 console..

Regards,
SB

It may not look that much better than a 2019 console, but it's going to look a better when compared to a 2013 console than a 2019 console compared to a 2013 console..

Regards,
SB

Yes it will but will there be a discernible difference between the way the 2021 console looks compared to the 2019 one vs the 2013 one? :runaway:

It may not look that much better than a 2019 console,...
So by launching later, you give your rival the chance to have 1+ year on the market ahead of you with a bigger next-gen library and when you release, your product doesn't look much better? What's the business sense in that? Launching later to make a notably better product that'll increase competitiveness makes sense, as does launching later to milk the current gen longer. Launching later to have a marginally better product that no-one will notice outside of DF articles doesn't, at least not to me.

Yes it will but will there be a discernible difference between the way the 2021 console looks compared to the 2019 one vs the 2013 one? :runaway:
It could be the difference between supporting a relatively new feature like Ray Tracing in 2019, and supporting a relatively mature feature like Ray Tracing in 2020/2021.

Or skipping Ray Tracing altogether in 2019, while it being super obvious to have Ray Tracing in 2021. But you're locked in for 6 years.

3 years is the difference between VR being 'hot', and no longer hot.
< 1 year, is the what MS needed to move away from Esram and fully embraced GDDR5.
< 1 year is the difference between Sony having 4GB and moving to 8GB.

Last edited:
< 1 year, is the what MS needed to move away from Esram and fully embraced GDDR5.
< 1 year is the difference between Sony having 4GB and moving to 8GB.

Well yes, that's the question really. Are there going to be breakthroughs like that between 2019 -2021 ?
Tough to know really, you would expect Sony and Microsoft to know if such breakthroughs are going to happen in that time period.

Back