Impact of nVidia Turing RayTracing enhanced GPUs on next-gen consoles *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, looks like you're right. It's certainly not as described - 'true' raytraced glossy reflections. In the 'rain' example you can see reflections of lights that aren't present...

Guerilla always use a mix of different techniques in their games. They did the same in HZD : "Another important part is reflections, and although we do have real-time raytraced reflections since Killzone Shadow Fall, cubemaps remain a very important part of the pipeline."

https://80.lv/articles/horizon-zero-dawn-interview-with-the-team/

So, is there any more knowledge floating around out there about how Turing's actually used?

Can the RT and tensor cores take most of the burden for shadows, reflections, and upscaling, leaving most of the rest of the silicon free for rendering some mad shit?

Are the tensor cores actually necessary as part of the GPU, or could their functionality be replaced with the likes of Sony's X1 upscaling hardware?

So, is there any more knowledge floating around out there about how Turing's actually used?

Can the RT and tensor cores take most of the burden for shadows, reflections, and upscaling, leaving most of the rest of the silicon free for rendering some mad shit?

Are the tensor cores actually necessary as part of the GPU, or could their functionality be replaced with the likes of Sony's X1 upscaling hardware?
Tensor cores can only really be useful at doing AI style work.
The RT cores are responsible for generating the RT features.
the Tensor cores can do a variety of things like upscaling/supersampling etc.
They would do significantly better than any algorithmic upscaler because the way they upscale or anti aliasing is based upon the content that which it's trained from.

SSR = Screen Space Ray Trancing. You can't do SSR without Tracing Rays. Guerrilla insisted on mentioning "Ray Tracing" just to sound cool.

I don't think so. Not all games using SSR use ray traced glossy reflections. Or it was at least true at the release time of KSF.

It's like saying ligthing is just lighting and there's no difference between dynamic and baked lighting.

They just pointed out the particular technique they used.

Last edited:
I don't think so. Not all games using SSR use ray traced glossy reflections. Or it was at least true at the release time of KSF.

It's like saying ligthing is just lighting and there's no difference between dynamic and baked lighting.

Tracing rays is not only used for "glossy reflections". It's an integral part of SSR. There's no SSR possible without tracing rays. Guerrilla isn't doing anything fancy at all. They pointed out the ray tracing part of the algorithm to sound cool.
Screen space reflections are generated by ray tracing in screen space. Without tracing rays there's no SSR possible.

Screen space ray traced glossy reflections. Glossy simply means they take material roughness into account.

They certainly shouldn't have used the qualifier 'true'. The only legitimate use of their phrasing is for ray-traced geometry and lighting. Anything that doesn't give 'true to life' results (reflected off screen objects etc) is not 'true ray-traced'.

They certainly shouldn't have used the qualifier 'true'. The only legitimate use of their phrasing is for ray-traced geometry and lighting. Anything that doesn't give 'true to life' results (reflected off screen objects etc) is not 'true ray-traced'.
Yes, the video had silly text.
They did give presentation around same time on the subject which was very clear on what they did though.

Well, to those that say this would not be possible without ray tracing, Hitman 2 did just that for reflections on consoles. It just used a different camera angle to render the reflections and it works even on base-consoles.

Yes, I know, it would be better with ray-tracing etc, but still it proves the point I (and some other users) mentioned before. Quite good and convincing reflections are possible on todays hardware without a monster-GPU.

Well, to those that say this would not be possible without ray tracing, Hitman 2 did just that for reflections on consoles. It just used a different camera angle to render the reflections and it works even on base-consoles.

Yes, I know, it would be better with ray-tracing etc, but still it proves the point I (and some other users) mentioned before. Quite good and convincing reflections are possible on todays hardware without a monster-GPU.
Yes, planar reflections work as always.
One needs to be mindful on usage though.

New Well, to those that say this would not be possible without ray tracing, Hitman 2 did just that for reflections on consoles. It just used a different camera angle to render the reflections and it works even on base-consoles.
At quarter resolution with no AO, lighting is toned down, and no reflections within reflections. Also curved surfaced lack dynamic reflections altogether, and rely on cubemaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back