Next gen lighting technologies - voxelised, traced, and everything else *spawn*

Last edited:
What is the relevance to this thread ? There exist a DLSS thread.
BTW it might be an idea to reduce posts that are very light on technical interesting content, most (nerdy) people are probably not interested in reading rehashed marketing.
FFXV would become the latest game to integrate RT if what the Square Enix dev said is true.
I understand the "nerdy" part unfortunately looking at past posts you'll see more tin-hat posts whose grasp on the topic is far from accomplished "subject matter" expert.

What is the relevance to this thread ? There exist a DLSS thread.

This site is terrible for knowing these other threads exist or finding them like the DLSS thread that you mentioned.

Going here: https://forum.beyond3d.com
Just shows the main Graphics Forums and not the sub-categories unless it has the latest post.

Looking in the Rendering Technology and APIs forum
https://forum.beyond3d.com/forums/rendering-technology-and-apis.40
I do not even see this DLSS thread so perhaps you could provide a direct link.

^I agree that there are way too many threads for the same subject, though (ray-tracing, for instance).

We always end up talking about the same stuff in more than one thread. A good percentage of the messages for these threads are replicated in other threads.

And a bit more off topic, some time ago I also suggested the forum going back to a previous format where we could have a single thread for a game (consoles and PC), instead of having separate threads where sometimes we discuss the same exact thing twice.

Search for DLSS and find it immediately.

You assume that we know that the thread in question already exists. I for one did not.

My point is that who knows what threads are in existence or get spawned and created. Maybe a link on the homepage should show newly created threads.

I'll keep this link and refer to it.

Too bad it has a depth of 125. It would be nice if these new posts could be broken down to new posts in the main subject like Architecture and Products or Rendering Technology and APIs

Or maybe a way to exclude some main subjects like consoles to narrow the number.

I hope I don't have to look at all 125 of them to find the correct thread to post into.

Battlefield V: RECOMMENDED PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR DXR
  • Processor (AMD): AMD Ryzen 7 2700
  • Processor (Intel): Intel Core i7 8700
  • Memory: 16GB RAM
  • Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 2070
  • DirectX: DirectX Raytracing Compatible video card
  • Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
  • Available Disk Space: 50GB
https://wccftech.com/battlefield-v-recommended-cpus-rtx/

An RTX 2070 for Raytracing? Lets see if this is the case.

Battlefield V: RECOMMENDED PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR DXR
  • Processor (AMD): AMD Ryzen 7 2700
  • Processor (Intel): Intel Core i7 8700
  • Memory: 16GB RAM
  • Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce[emoji2400] RTX 2070
  • DirectX: DirectX Raytracing Compatible video card
  • Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
  • Available Disk Space: 50GB
https://wccftech.com/battlefield-v-recommended-cpus-rtx/

Well, what else are people buying a 2070 for, if not for RT?

There's no way Nvidia would want them specifying anything higher than a 2070. By the time it's released they should have quality sliders they were talking about, like rendering reflections at <100% resolution. Nvidia need an actual RTX title, a big release one as well, to perform well but still remain a showcase.

By the time it's released they should have quality sliders they were talking about, like rendering reflections at <100% resolution.
Would having a slider to reduce the number of rays result in reflections < 100% resolution? Is resolution dependent on the number of rays used?

Would having a slider to reduce the number of rays result in reflections < 100% resolution? Is resolution dependent on the number of rays used?
Not really sure how it would work. Same amount of rays but sample every 2nd pixel?

I remember Tom Peterson's interview with Gamers Nexus and he mentioned it would be neat to have a slider to reduce the number of rays as part of a games settings, but not sure if this would be something they could do.

Rays don't have to be sampled per pixel. You can specify any sampling resolution (and even sampling pattern - needn't be regular grid if you were being uber-fancy) and resolve that into screenspace pixels. If you're denoising anyway, jittered sampling would give very flexible sampling resolution. You could quite literally have a 'number of rays' quality option and slide it to have rays scattered across the sampling window. Although the most straightforward solution is the same as every other non-native buffer, to just have a lower res sample buffer and trace into that before compositing.

There's no way Nvidia would want them specifying anything higher than a 2070. By the time it's released they should have quality sliders they were talking about, like rendering reflections at <100% resolution. Nvidia need an actual RTX title, a big release one as well, to perform well but still remain a showcase.

Well, what else are people buying a 2070 for, if not for RT?

Sure but Raytracying Reflections are one of the more expensive effects when it is compared to Raytracing AO for example. I would be surprised if reflections would already run well on the RTX 2070.

Sure but Raytracying Reflections are one of the more expensive effects when it is compared to Raytracing AO for example. I would be surprised if reflections would already run well on the RTX 2070.
It only needs to run at 1080p30 to really be considered a minimum, probably even less than that.

We simply don’t know the quality settings, but in terms of simple common sense, if I went out and spent all that cash on a new 2070, to then come home being unable to actually use RTRT in any meaningful ways, I’d be very annoyed.

Back