All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2018 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Buddha, my friend, I'm pretty certain RDR2 is leading for the year or 12 month rolling sales in the number #1 position. :mrgreen:

Between RDR2 and Spider-Man, more than likely Sony has October's NPD hardware sales locked up again.
MS went heavy with the XB1 promotions in October, doing unofficial RDR2 bundles and significant discounts on XB1X with the purchase of RDR2 etc. So I wouldn't say PS4 is a lock to win the month. But yeah, Sony's marketing and official bundle will probably give it the win.

So Buddha, my friend, I'm pretty certain RDR2 is leading for the year or 12 month rolling sales in the number #1 position. :mrgreen:

Between RDR2 and Spider-Man, more than likely Sony has October's NPD hardware sales locked up again.

Biggest launch of 2018 doesn't equal largest seller for 2018...yet. :) It also doesn't mean it isn't. It just means its 1st 3 days sales eclipses any other 2018 releases first 3 days sales.

And yes, Sony is doing well. After how well Spider-Man has done, to have RDR2 completely blow past Spider-Man on PS4 is surely bringing in lots of money.

It's not GTA V good, but it's the next best thing to GTA V good in sales. :)

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
1TB PS4 Spider-Man Bundle for $199

Is this an unofficial PS4 price cut coming soon (rather than just a Black Friday special)? Because you can pickup or receive the bundle on Nov 2nd, not just the 23rd.

Edit: The ad just got pulled, however, I do have a snapshot coming up.

Here we go...
zjHBknF.jpg

Last edited:
I thought the initial question was how it had sold (split wise) and how that compared to other titles. I was just saying there must be other titles we can compare stats against - such as those mentioned.

No sure what I said was wrong in any way and it seems a fair thing to say?
It’s not wrong. But I was responding to the idea that there was this massive gap between Xbox and PS4, where the numbers are usually closer. But if you have a title that is selling to almost every single console owner, your split will more likely model after the hardware split. If you are selling to a niche group of players, you’re likely to see something closer to 50:50.

It’s not wrong. But I was responding to the idea that there was this massive gap between Xbox and PS4, where the numbers are usually closer. But if you have a title that is selling to almost every single console owner, your split will more likely model after the hardware split. If you are selling to a niche group of players, you’re likely to see something closer to 50:50.

I see what you're saying, and technically this will be skewed anyway as it's an 18 game and I would say (at the risk of being shot down) not a title to 'attract' younger gamers like other 18 games (CoD and GTA). So maybe (and this is a total guess) the PS4 owners are potentially older gamers (do we have any data on the age groups by console)?

I see what you're saying, and technically this will be skewed anyway as it's an 18 game and I would say (at the risk of being shot down) not a title to 'attract' younger gamers like other 18 games (CoD and GTA). So maybe (and this is a total guess) the PS4 owners are potentially older gamers (do we have any data on the age groups by console)?
Main age groups are 19-35 for purchasers for video games, and likely that represents a majority of players.
COD/Destiny/BF/GTA Sports Games have traditionally been closer to 50:50 because these types of games are the type of games that have traditionally sold well on the xbox platform.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/14419305/

The new operating income forecast for the year in the game business is pretty insane. I mean, relative to where it started. They were forecasting 190bn yen at the end of the last fiscal year, bumped it to 250bn yen at the end of the first quarter, now bumped to 310bn yen.

For some perspective - if they meet that target, the cumulative operating income during these six years of the PS4's life (741.1bn yen) will exceed the cumulative loss of the seven years of the PS3 (443bn yen, ish?) and the cumulative profit of the five years of PS2 (264bn yen), combined. With another FY of PS4 to go.

Just incredible

Who said financial responsibility is boring!

Also, to anyone expecting big, powerful, loss-leading next gen consoles, good luck to you.

They were losing money for each console made when they launch the PS4, just much less than with the PS3 or Microsoft with the 360 one game or a PS plus subscription was enough to cover the loss. Probably between 20 to 30 dollars per console, but a bloomberg analyst seeing the forecast they gave for fiscal year 2020 said than Sony will probably lost more money per launch unit with PS5 than with PS4 . And it said less than PS3 and probably 360 maybe 50/60 dollars max...

Last edited:
Sony and Nintendo financial reports are out, both are doing great [although I don't see how will Switch reach 20M for entire FY]. Sony is really killing it with PS4.

Smash Bros Ultimate and Pokemon Lets Go will play a huge factor in this years Christmas sales for Switch. With those games releasing, I dare say it not impossible for Nintendo to move 10 million units during its 3rd quarter.

Who said financial responsibility is boring!

Also, to anyone expecting big, powerful, loss-leading next gen consoles, good luck to you.

Why would you say this? If anything it tells me otherwise. The network is where the massive margins are, if you going to guarantee your network numbers or grow them because of a more powerful console why wouldn't you?

In my opinion the whole razor blade business plan makes more sense now than ever before.

Because it’s my opinion!!!!1!1!!

Obviously, anything you say is your opinion. I would like to know what's your thinking behind it? I will be the first to admit that my way of thinking is not always right in fact I make many boo boos:) I'd just like to know other people's reason for there opinions.

Have you guys seen the Jon Peddie Research report "The_Balance_of_Power_in_Gaming_2018"?
According to it, AMD plans to dispatch, till the end of 2018, a cumulative total of 99 million GPUs to Sony, and 36.4 million to Microsoft.

That's a low volume of GPUs for Microsoft! According to the report, AMD had dispatched 32.15 million GPUs to Microsoft at the end of 2017. EA reports mentioned a total of 29.5 million Xbox One units sold at that time. It fits!

Obviously, anything you say is your opinion. I would like to know what's your thinking behind it? I will be the first to admit that my way of thinking is not always right in fact I make many boo boos:) I'd just like to know other people's reason for there opinions.

Well there is a whole lot of talk about next gen consoles maybe being way more powerful and expensive than others think, especially with RT being the new thing now. I just don’t believe that will happen. The days of making huge losses on hardware for the sake of power are long gone. I think!! :)

Yeah but it is often assumed that units sold worldwide is around 2:1 in favour of the PS4, but that the sales are much closer than that in the UK, which is a strong market for MS. Either the game is outperforming for the Playstation in the UK or the sales gap between the consoles is bigger than we have thought.

Yeah but it is often assumed that units sold worldwide is around 2:1 in favour of the PS4, but that the sales are much closer than that in the UK, which is a strong market for MS. Either the game is outperforming for the Playstation in the UK or the sales gap between the consoles is bigger than we have thought.
I thought it was dismal in the UK this gen? I was under the assumption only the US was closer to 1:1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back