God of War [PS4, PC]

Finished it on Tuesday. Brilliant game. not sure I can drag myself through new game plus though, may try one Valkyrie fight for the experience then put it to bed for a while. Got plenty of other stuff to catch up on. Plus spidermans coming as well.....

Finished it on Tuesday. Brilliant game. not sure I can drag myself through new game plus though, may try one Valkyrie fight for the experience then put it to bed for a while. Got plenty of other stuff to catch up on. Plus spidermans coming as well.....

I did specifically the optional side quests, which you basically get by visiting the parts of the map that are covered in fog. I did like the side missions, as they all had kinda mini story attached to it. I feel the same as you regarding the Valkyrie...not really interested at the moment. But I can recommend the other story side quests...

Oh yes I will push further, no question here. I hope I'll find fun in all this.

Well it was fun, but honestly pretty "basic", and , for me, the level design was very weak, and the camera didn't help. It's a good game, but in a sense it was a let down from all the noise from the media / press.

Yeah it's nice, but the world is kind of "meh" for me, artistically.

I agree on this point. I would say the art in this game is inconsistent and some places are just your standard fantasy world. There's sometimes a lack of originality.

I agree on this point. I would say the art in this game is inconsistent and some places are just your standard fantasy world. There's sometimes a lack of originality.
But you can't mix in some weird half T Rex, half lizard Monster hunter beast or straight up Pokemon looking creatures into a well establish and known Norse mythology can you? I'll say the scope of the art is contained in context of the story and mythology accuracy, that in itself is not necessarily bad for the sake of consistency.

I did specifically the optional side quests, which you basically get by visiting the parts of the map that are covered in fog. I did like the side missions, as they all had kinda mini story attached to it. I feel the same as you regarding the Valkyrie...not really interested at the moment. But I can recommend the other story side quests...

But the Valkyrie fights are amazing. They're the only boss fights that force you to get a good grip on the combat system. I wished the game had at least made one of them mandatory because of how fun they are.. Didn't even have to be as tough.

Last edited:
But the Valkyrie fights are amazing. They're the only boss fights that force you to get a good grip on the combat system. I wished the game had at least made one of them mandatory because of how fun they are.. Didn't even have to be as tough.

I did one or two of them. But it somehow doesn't really motivate me to bother fighting the others...but I admit that I looked up the background story and what it is all about :)

But you can't mix in some weird half T Rex, half lizard Monster hunter beast or straight up Pokemon looking creatures into a well establish and known Norse mythology can you?

I don't speak about that lol, but rather this kind of art :

God-of-War-III-Remastered_20150714075246.jpg

This area in GOW 3 was impressive from an artistic standpoint to me.

This one too :

gow3r-1080-stills-026-1426774157_accv.png

On the other hand, i'm not impressed by this kind of art :

06-1520935545.jpg

I just see a combination of fancy colors. It's easy art. There's a lack of research to me.

But some areas are great in GOW as well. It's just inconsistent artistically imo.

The new GOW simply doesn't look like a Heavy Metal cover anymore. I also think the third picture is quite striking. Besides, that's a very misleading comparison. It's the same as if I compared a picture of the giant turtle with some featureless hallway from the top of Mount Olympus. (of which there are quite a few) There aren't exatly a great many vistas like the ones above in GOW3. The vast majority of the game doesn't look quite as epic.

Last edited:
I don't speak about that lol, but rather this kind of art :

God-of-War-III-Remastered_20150714075246.jpg

This area in GOW 3 was impressive from an artistic standpoint to me.

This one too :

gow3r-1080-stills-026-1426774157_accv.png

On the other hand, i'm not impressed by this kind of art :

06-1520935545.jpg

I just see a combination of fancy colors. It's easy art. There's a lack of research to me.

But some areas are great in GOW as well. It's just inconsistent artistically imo.
I believe the art team had more references to work with from the Greek mythology, art and architecture.

The new GOW simply doesn't look like a Heavy Metal cover anymore. I also think the third picture is quite striking. Besides, that's a very misleading comparison. It's the same as if I compared a picture of the giant turtle with some featureless hallway from the top of Mount Olympus. (of which there are quite a few) There aren't exatly a great many vistas like the ones above in GOW3. The vast majority of the game doesn't look quite as epic.

You're not completely wrong, but it's not the lack of epicness but really the art for me.

For instance, there's no vista here, but the art is great in this pic to me :

God-of-War-%20Review-8.jpg

It's not a mix of fancy colors just placed in front of you. There's a real depth.

Decent tone mapping doesn't strike me as an effortless achievement.

Otherwise there wouldn't be so many games with a monotonous color palette.

I wouldn't call that flowery forest decent tonemapping. It looks so artificially vibrant that it produces the opposite effect of a beautiful lush forest it wants to generate in me. It looks like the set of a cheap TV show full of plastic foliage.

The art is very The Lord of the Rings ish and certainly not some cheap TV show effect. It's stylized, not plasticky. No matter how original it is the rendering does a superb job of portraying some of the best looking environments and character models in the business.
41406196574_3af8a988e5gehw.png

42043360931_c72d5f5d8zofw2.png

180422094715pkeao.png

Back