PC users tanking User Score for Red Dead Redemption 2

The bad reviews all came in at the same time, and seem to be from PC users upset that they need to wait a year for the game to hit PC. The user score has improved since then. If you read the 0 star reviews, its obvious they never played the game.

The user score Metacritic metric is worthless considering how "campaigns" were waged against all the Yearly sports games like FIFA, Madden, and NBA.

The bad reviews all came in at the same time, and seem to be from PC users upset that they need to wait a year for the game to hit PC. The user score has improved since then. If you read the 0 star reviews, its obvious they never played the game.

The user score Metacritic metric is worthless considering how "campaigns" were waged against all the Yearly sports games like FIFA, Madden, and NBA.

it's very clear who is behind this. For instance, this shows some poetry in motion.

a33ffc9fcc80f639c126aaef6962488e.png

perhaps the PC users aren't the issue here, but other users?

I think there are plenty of aspects about the game that a lot of people won't like that are causing legitimate complaints.

Putting aside what I think most will agree is a terrible interface, the poor tutorials/tips to educate the player leaving them confused, the heavier controls and the crucial 'cores' mechanics which I had to learn from a game guide and RDR2 really isn't a Red Dead game, its a cowboy simulator branded as Red Dead in the Red Dead Redemption universe, which which I don't think many expected/wanted.

Rockstar didn't dip their toe lightly in RPG, it looks like they went all in. Except, most of it can be ignored but the game does a poor job of explaining almost everything. E.g. camp upgrades via the ledger outside Dutch's tent is mentioned once in a post-quest cutscene with Herr Strauss and, as far as I can see, never mentioned again. That said, camp upgrades are optional unless you actually use the facilities at your camp, if you don't then you can ignore it all.

Then there is the very limited fast travel which, if your gaming time is limited, is really going to grate as you'll be riding around a lot. And because the quests can be completed in any order you can end up riding a lot where there is certainly a more optimal sequence where one quests leaves you closer to another.

After about 15 hours I'm really liking RDR2 but I can see why a lot of other people wouldn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
That possibly affects the scores people give. I think it common practice that if you think something is rated too high, like 98% for a game that's got significant issues, rather than give a score based on what you feel it's like, you give a score meant to shift the balance up/down. So, a game has 9.5/10. Joe Public thinks it's worth at best a 7. They vote 1/10 to shift the overall score to 'where it should be'.

So why is it only the Xbox one that's being affected by that?
Aren't people playing on the PS also having the same views, wanting to 'rebalance' the scores as they see it?

Would make more sense if ms had marketing rights, and they thought it was that what was delying it going to pc.
people are just weird.

So why is it only the Xbox one that's being affected by that?

Probably it's just relative volume of ratings. These are the MetaCritic user scores breakdowns right now:
  • PS4: 1,858 total, 1,358 positive, 426 negative, 74 mixed.
  • XBO: 649 total, 411 positive, 221 negative, 17 mixed.
Because there are more PS4 consoles there are likely more genuine PS4 console reviews compared to Xbox and it's easier to statistically skew a small pool of data than a large pool of data.

So was this an organised review bombing?

2 reasons have been given
  • pc owners who's feelings have been hurt.
  • trying to bring balance to the scores.
not sure if skewing user scores bring balance as it doesn't affect the critics reviews, in fact it just makes the user scores meaningless.

Was red dead ever on pc anyway, or have a day and date release?

Some of the lowest user reviews had scores of 0 or 1 and comments included below. It is indeed sad people who over-react. This behavior is what makes the usee score of many completely worthless. They also should target the PS4 version too, yet they don't because "reasons".

This game have one big minus.
Where's PC version? I don't need that console brick what used only for games, I don't need to waste my money on thing what more worst than my computer.

Not enough money, Rockstar? Ok, you deserved all your 0 es and reputation of console suckers.

Boring game with poor graphics and optimization. Its maximum is 6 points, but I put 0 for the impudance to release such a slag in 2018.

They should've released it to PC too.

Red Dead Redemption 2 was unenjoyable for me mostly due to the following reason: its N O T melee

I am disappointed this game. Rockstar make again same game. I wanna new gameplay

So one of the negative user reviews with acore of 0 on Sony Ps4. So is this a lie or do they mean they're game streaming? I doubt its game streaming because they mention "massive memory suck" after calling out drive space, but you dont know memory usage with consoles!

The first thing to not is that this game is huge, it takes a lot of space on the drive and is a massive memory suck. It's really clunky. I'm running it on a brand new ROG power laptop and the lag is fierce. The game play is also problematic, I've only played for a couple of hours and the missions have become repetitive and tedious. There is no doubt that it's pretty, and the imagery holds out the promise of something better, but the gloss comes off pretty quickly.

Some of the lowest user reviews had scores of 0 or 1 and comments included below. It is indeed sad people who over-react. This behavior is what makes the usee score of many completely worthless. They also should target the PS4 version too, yet they don't because "reasons".
Main reason would be that there are plenty of games on XB1 that are also on PC, so the 'where's the PC version' comments would be more likely to appear under the XB machine. And I doubt many people will complain on both platforms.

And though sad that these would-be suers feel the need to review bomb, they don't have any other avenue to express a want for RDR2 on PC. For those unable to just live with it, trying to pressurise R* into a port wouldn't seem unfair. It's also a 'lesson' for other developers, that they should ensure they have a PC version too or they will also face the rage of the PC gamers. Which amounts to squat because the user review will have zero bearing on sales, but at least these sad-sacks aren't sending hate emails and death threats for lack of a PC version...

Poppycock. They could take to other social media accounts and kindly ask Rockstar games for the PC version.

Sadly its far easier to go negative than it is to run something positive.

Or just except that their platform of choice won't have every game, even if its just because the devs just don't won't to.

In all likelihood pc will be getting it at some point though.

I think there are plenty of aspects about the game that a lot of people won't like that are causing legitimate complaints.

Putting aside what I think most will agree is a terrible interface, the poor tutorials/tips to educate the player leaving them confused, the heavier controls and the crucial 'cores' mechanics which I had to learn from a game guide and RDR2 really isn't a Red Dead game, its a cowboy simulator branded as Red Dead in the Red Dead Redemption universe, which which I don't think many expected/wanted.

Rockstar didn't dip their toe lightly in RPG, it looks like they went all in. Except, most of it can be ignored but the game does a poor job of explaining almost everything. E.g. camp upgrades via the ledger outside Dutch's tent is mentioned once in a post-quest cutscene with Herr Strauss and, as far as I can see, never mentioned again. That said, camp upgrades are optional unless you actually use the facilities at your camp, if you don't then you can ignore it all.

Then there is the very limited fast travel which, if your gaming time is limited, is really going to grate as you'll be riding around a lot. And because the quests can be completed in any order you can end up riding a lot where there is certainly a more optimal sequence where one quests leaves you closer to another.

After about 15 hours I'm really liking RDR2 but I can see why a lot of other people wouldn't.

Really good assessment... 100% agree. Rockstar really did go for a more RPG style game this time around (which I truly like), however the fast-paced oriented action gamers (the GTA gamers more specifically) will find the game more tedious in areas, especially when it comes to your health (far beyond GTA San Andreas health / wellness system), the health of your horse(s), and the overall wellbeing of your camp.

Looking at current and prior behavior among some PC gamers (warriors), they usually attack the strongest gaming console platform... the one with stronger hardware capabilities, which happens to be the XB1-X. Before the X, it was the same shenanigans with the standard Playstation 4 and Pro. But at the end of the day, critics and gamers opinions are like ass*****... yada yada yada.

What I hear from friends is rdr2 has poor controls, is low tempoed(lot of wait time when gaming) and a lot of unnecessary waiting/riding around. Initial tutorial is long and tedious. Maybe anyone expecting action game is really disappointed? Someone said rdr2 is a game for elderly retired people :D

Maybe anyone expecting action game is really disappointed? Someone said rdr2 is a game for elderly retired people :D

Yes, but the reviews don't state that as the reason. Even if that were the situation, giving it a 0 or 1 are still not appropriate. When a game doesn't match your expectations the review should indicate that as such and should absolutely not be rated a 0 or 1, which should be reserved for "does not work" or "crashes all the time".

Even Life of Black Tiger has user score of 7.4!

upload_2018-10-28_12-4-45.png

Back