Mishmash of PC GPU mobile talk *denoise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they were kinda mid range a while ago. Now they’re Tesco Value range.

Lol, tbh the 580 is still a mid-range GPU in todays market so I still consider them that, I wouldn't consider any of the RTX GPUs "mid-range" considering the die-size and pricing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lol, tbh the 580 is still a mid-range GPU

In price it might be, not so much in performance, its about on par with a 1060 which was the lowest of the 10xx series in early 2016. With things like the Titan xp and now all the way to 2080ti i dont see the RX580 as mid range in performance.

RDR2 looking this good, imagine it with some smart RT.

I imagine once we get "smart RT games" in circulation every thing else will start to look somewhat bland, and with less time to market from the creative/production standpoint.

In price it might be, not so much in performance, its about on par with a 1060 which was the lowest of the 10xx series in early 2016. With things like the Titan xp and now all the way to 2080ti i dont see the RX580 as mid range in performance.

1050, 1030?
1060 is still midrange and rx580, too. Thx to nvidia who just increased the price of their new this wont change that soon.
nvidia just build out their ultra high end cards.

Budget, midrange, performance, and enthusiast tiers have always been in reference to their price stratum.

Anything above 700-800 USD is solidly in Enthusiast territory.

It's one of the reasons that the past year has seen PC gaming growth slow significantly due to crypto making what should be midrange cards cost enthusiast pricing.

You can see the effect reflected in the PC revenue share for software publishers. PC was growing quite solidly until crypto put decently performing GPUs out of the reach of most consumers.

Regards,
SB

1050, 1030?
1060 is still midrange and rx580, too.

1050 and 1030 werent there early 2016, i didnt mention later then that.
I dont see a 1060 midrange, its rather on the lower range side of the spectrum regarding performace. Price is a whole different matter. That prices are too high now. Your talking about price, im talking performance.

Budget, midrange, performance, and enthusiast tiers have always been in reference to their price stratum.

Yes price, but in performance a RX580 isnt even anywhere near being mid-range. A GTX1070 is whole lot faster, and that was midrange when the 10 series launched, then we got 1080, after that 1080Ti, then Titan pascal. Now its all the way up to RTX 2080Ti. Calling a 1060/580 midrange in performance just isnt serious.

It's one of the reasons that the past year has seen PC gaming growth slow significantly due to crypto making what should be midrange cards cost enthusiast pricing.

You can see the effect reflected in the PC revenue share for software publishers. PC was growing quite solidly until crypto put decently performing GPUs out of the reach of most consumers.

Ive read pc gaming is still growing, its userbase is bigger then ever and isnt declining. The only reason to own a console these days is exclusives.

Yes price, but in performance a RX580 isnt even anywhere near being mid-range. A GTX1070 is whole lot faster, and that was midrange when the 10 series launched, then we got 1080, after that 1080Ti, then Titan pascal. Now its all the way up to RTX 2080Ti. Calling a 1060/580 midrange in performance just isnt serious.
A 2080Ti is 70~80% faster than a 1080/Vega 64.
A 1080/Vega 64 is 60~% faster than a 1060/580.
So yes in regards to performance the 1060/580 range is now relegated to the upper tier of the low end. As there are not a whole lot of GPUs under them, only the slightly slower 570/1060 3GB, the 560/1050 or the 1050Ti in between. The 1030 is not really a dGPU worthy of mention on any scale.

A 2080Ti is 70~80% faster than a 1080/Vega 64.
A 1080/Vega 64 is 60~% faster than a 1060/580.
So yes in regards to performance the 1060/580 range is now relegated to the upper tier of the low end. As there are not a whole lot of GPUs under them, only the slightly slower 570/1060 3GB, the 560/1050 or the 1050Ti in between. The 1030 is not really a dGPU worthy of mention on any scale.

Exactly my thoughts, i mean in performance a RX580/1060 belong to the lower end of the spectrum, with the 3GB version of the 1060 even lower then that. Thats performance, anything other then the 2070 or lower is missing raytracing hardware features, how important that is is another matter though. Lets not forget that 8 to 11GB vram is nice to have these days with 4k crazyness.

If based on price, then perhaps a 1060/580 is midrange, but with the prices being as crazy as they went, its not really fair to call a 1060 midrange just because its expensive. Its a early 2016 product that was meant to be slower then a 1070 and much much slower then a 1080. 1080Ti was beastly fast for its time, so was TitanXp, by then a 1070 was getting in the lower-mid range of the spectrum already.
Ram prices have been very high too, 8GB of DDR4 is quite expensive for being what it is, doesnt make it mid-range to me, atleast 16GB is needed these days (mid range), 32GB main ram would be nice 2018/2019 for high end.

Ive read pc gaming is still growing, its userbase is bigger then ever and isnt declining. The only reason to own a console these days is exclusives.
The most significant factor in choosing a console over PC is price. The barrier of entry to all levels of gaming, including 4k HDR, is far far cheaper on console.

The most significant factor in choosing a console over PC is price. The barrier of entry to all levels of gaming, including 4k HDR, is far far cheaper on console.
Only if you accept console quality as the entry point. I have more than a few friends who play PC games on absolute potatoes. I'd never want to do it, but i commend them for living within their means.

Only if you accept console quality as the entry point. I have more than a few friends who play PC games on absolute potatoes. I'd never want to do it, but i commend them for living within their means.
I highly doubt those potatoes cost less than an Xbox One S for $200.

$25 old office computers with $75 graphics cards mostly. So yeah, they do. They also perform worse, but price is the most important factor. They don't even activate windows.
Oh wow. ok, definitely potatoes :) Fair enough!

If you mean native 4k (most common on pc for the ones that have 4k ability) then only the xbox one x does that for some titles. Xbox One x is the most expensive console, and not the one with the largest user base, i think its the one with the least.
A pc capable of 4k/HDR at the same settings a Pro/One X does you would need a RX480/RX580, i5 and 8gb ram at the least. Its going to be more expensive then a console but games tend to be cheaper and you dont pay for online. Some people also need that pc for other things too :p

$25 old office computers with $75 graphics cards mostly. So yeah, they do. They also perform worse, but price is the most important factor. They don't even activate windows.

TBH they're almost "Free" in a sense that most already have computers or those thin weak laptops. Younger ones already have "free" laptops since parents feel like they need to give one out of necessity. Console's more of a luxury.

Mostly play MMORPGS and those League like games, people I know and their friends.

Most gamers I know don't even play SP games, let alone console games. Ah wait not really, a few of them who play consoles have Nintendos.

Not the only reason. There are lot of reasons to choose console over pc and vice versa.

Plug'n play = console is many times better for pure gaming than pc, i have played on many platforms for 30 years and pc gaming is "always" more hazzle than console gaming.

Like buggy OS/drivers/games/hardware, then buggy online parts of games, cheaters, software to communicate and so on.

And yes, sometimes pc world works flawlessly, but anybody whom says that there aint any problems is just lying or have not been gaming on pc for long enough.

We used to play L4D2 a lot on pc, and one or more in the group always had some small problems with chat/game/crashes.

With console: install game, send chat request to friend(s) and play. Works 99% of the time.

And that is the point of consoles, easy to use platform simply for gaming and things just work.

Pc is more versalite and it is part of why there are more problems and tinkering

True that consoles are easier to use and less problems. On the other hand things have improved alot on pc, in the 90's/early 2000's with w95 etc it was alot more hassle then now, some games didtnt even support select gpu's etc
Steam also has brought things like one click install.

Consoles are still easier but they went from plug and play to installing games, patches, os updates etc, the arrival of internet to consoles made things abit different.

Some console games even have settings/modes these days. What i want to say is that the gap has is less now then 15 years ago.

PC marketshare is actually declining, perhpa in overall numbers its growing because the whole market is growing but its share of the pie is shrinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back