Red Dead Redemption 2

OK, that's the most impressive thing I've seen in a video game recently. That feels next gen to me with regards to making the world feel "alive" or "real". Amazing attention to detail.

Regards,
SB
The whole game is filed with details like that... Yup nothing has ever came close to this (Forza Horizon 4 is not too far in the "totally insane level of detail" category, especially for a racer).

Guys on restera are claiming that you need to enable system wide supersampling on the PS4 Pro to get supersampling and enhaced visuals in RDR2 on 1080p screen, which is weird and if true it mean that PS4 Pro support is really bad.

Question is do system wide supersampling work on final 4k output or native framebuffer of the game?

I've somewhat improved my experience by setting the deadzone setting to 0 and acceleration to maximum. For whatever reason setting acceleration to 0 does the opposite, so only maxing it out removes it completely. Movement is still extremely slow but aiming is fixed at least.

My setup:
reddeadredemption2_20gufxu.png

OK, that's the most impressive thing I've seen in a video game recently. That feels next gen to me with regards to making the world feel "alive" or "real". Amazing attention to detail.
It's been done before, but it's a very nice addon.

What I expect for nextgen is that 1st inch of the entire ground surface be fully simulated, both for physical movement and for transfer of the materials from the ground to the objects that interact with them.

Uncharted 4 did crazy physics on objects too but I agree. In RDR2 everything being 'real' in the world and not an animation that clip through other objects is great. Like eating a tin of food on your horse, Arthur will drop the can on the trail which will roll and wagons will bump over it.

Yesterday I was riding into Valentine in the morning when an O'Driscoll man starts yelling at me that he can mess me up and that his gang run the town. I got off my horse and went over to him and tried to diffuse the situation as there were too many witnesses to murder him. He cooled a bit, so I turned to walk away then from behind he shoves me onto the ground. Bollocks to that, I get up and he throws a punch and fist fight resumes and we're in the street trading blows and I punch him and he staggers backwards and trips over a dog into the path of a wagon and is killed.

This is why I love Rockstar games. It's all the little moving parts that come together in delightful ways. Nine times out of ten it's inconsequential but occasionally, it's just brilliant. :yes:

Some tweaks that helped my control experience:

- I guess someone mentioned it here already, but you can hold circle to get out of menus (however, it not automatically goes out, only when you release circle button :rolleyes:

- You can hold the start button to directly launching the map

- I pick up my weapon when I am still on the horse, before de-mounting, gets rid of the sluggish interface interaction at the start of every mission.

- I changed the control settings such that you don't have to hold X to run, but you can tap it...feels much better, especially during combat.

I don't mind at all games with heavy, physical based movement (DS games came to mind, BF series, Monster Hunter...all of these are heavy and slow in movement, but offer a precise and quick response), but this game is definitively off.

And I in particular don't like the "wait for the animation to finish, until next button press registers" feeling...that is really tec from the last decade imo and something Rockstar needs to completely rework. In a mission I should watch through the window before robbing, you walk up there and press L1 (what the heck, why L1...the context sensitive interface is so chaotic!), after pressing L1 to detach from the "look through window pose"...it takes a couple of seconds before you can enter a control command again. :cry:

But, I have finally adjusted to the controls, shake my head when another annoying thing happens and just accepted that they are for me fundamentally flawed.

I did couple of yellow missions, they are typically varied in their mission goals. However, so far, there is no real story progression...or a story at all as far as I can tell. Also, the yellow missions don't seem to be really worth it most of the time as it feels that I mostly don't get anything at all...hopefully this changes.

Furthermore, it feels that my own character is the least interesting of them all. Whereas for instance Dutch is an absolutely amazing character (with great voice acting, which is in general on a super high level imo), my own character seems a bit bland. Doesn't help that all other characters in the camp seem to have more personality and a more interesting back story/life. Arthur feels quite one dimensional. I wonder though if this is on purpose and if this is going to change in the story...talking about story: Can anyone tell me in which chapter the story picks up?

I don't contest your point enterely. But 80 is still good in my book.

Yep, it is. Game is good. Does many things good, some things amazing (graphics, density of the world, etc), but also has in my personal opinion some extreme design flaws that are crucial to my overall experience and entertainment, especially if it gets perfect scores left and right :yes:

could this one be valid? This a direct comparison between the original RDR and RDR2. Time hasn't passed in vain, although the original has a detail or two that are better.

OMG, I am amazed how good ol RDR looks nowadays. Insane. No wonder I have such good memories of this game...

I did couple of yellow missions, they are typically varied in their mission goals. However, so far, there is no real story progression...or a story at all as far as I can tell.

It sounds like you're early in Chapter 2, which is a rather lengthy augmented tutorial zone for you to become familiar with the game's mechanics. Aside from a couple of the gang members missions, most of the story is being told through dialogue with the gang in the camp or while riding somewhere with gang members, or through the journal which you should read from time to time. Chapter 2 feels designed to not have you feel like you need to do this, or that, but just have some free time to experiment.

Furthermore, it feels that my own character is the least interesting of them all.

I assume this is deliberate given the honour system lets you be the type of Arthur you want, and for the most part the game lets you do this. It's up to the player to make Arthur interesting (or not) by his actions and choices which impact honour, which in turn impacts how others interact with you. Unlike John Marston in RDR, Arthur has almost no backstory which gives him choices that wouldn't have made sense fro John because he was already a fully fleshed out character.

It's Fallout/Elder Scrolls (blank slate) vs. Witcher 3 (fleshed out character), hence why Geralt can't go on a killing spree.

If you played RDR you know what happens to the gang and some of the key characters and you can already see disagreements and friction about the way forward by observing interactions between characters. On the surface Dutch feels like a good, solid and caring leader but he fucked up with the Blackwater job and several characters strongly hint of this although don't say so outright. He doesn't have the full confidence of some.

I'm also liking the friction between Arthur and John and curious to see what happened and if that can be fixed over the course of the game.

Btw rdr2 only 42usd in Indonesia PSN until 31 Oct with 15% discount voucher on the psn Web front page.

I'll wait for 40% discount. I like RDR and gta but I those games never "pull" me dearly.

I'll wait for 40% discount. I like RDR and gta but I those games never "pull" me dearly.

This game is actually not much like the original RDR. It's like they cut RDR with Witcher 3. If you don't like the sound of that I do recommend you buy only when it's super cheap or give it a miss entirely.

If you played Assassin's Creed before Origins and Odyssey and one of those two recent games, expect an even greater shift in tone, pace and mechanics then when Ubisoft decided to make an assassination action game an RPG where it was increasingly difficult to assassinate people. :???: At least in RDR2 you can still shoot people in the head for insta-kills.

edit: anybody liking the game and not done the quest involving tracking down the four gunslingers for interviews (from the smaller saloon in Valentine), do those. They net some great weapons! :yes:

So bought a PS4 Pro bundle on Friday night and managed to get some play time in. My god this game is gorgeous. I love the slow pacing which really helps immerse into the world. Traveling through the countryside feels so real compared to anything I've played before. The lighting and terrain detail is astounding.

It certainly has its faults, both graphically and in gameplay/interface, most of which has been expressed here already and I agree with much of it. There will definitely be many who don't like the tedious nature of the game either.

Really enjoying it so far.

I feel this is a marmite game. You'll either love the gameplay design decisions Rockstar made, or hate them. It would explain the polarised views and why there isn't much middle ground.

Brave choice, Rockstar, very brave. And very 'lucky' most reviewers came down on your side of being impressed. Of course most reviewers had a couple of closed sessions at Rockstar studios to learn the game under individual tutelage which isn't the case for the public who are left relying on guides. Still confused about hunting?, read this.

Back