Red Dead Redemption 2

It shows again that all reviews nowadays are useless money sell outs...unbelievable fcked up.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you. You want snappy controls play devil may cry. My favorite thing about recent Rockstar games is the character actually feels like a person and in Arthurs case a big heavy strong person.

I've been playing games for three decades now and granted I've only put about 6 hours into Red Dead 2 nothing compares with it and it deserves 95+ rating. It's got Naughty Dog type polish but in a massive open world. The first time I road into that small little town in the beginning was amazing for me.

I understand that people want different things or have different tastes but if you didn't know that Red Dead was going to be a slow paced heavily story and character driven game that wasn't going to have the lightning reflexes of a fat Italian plumber I don't know what to tell you.

Input lag doesn't seem particularly bed to me, for a 30fps title. I do play on a gaming monitor, so input lag is ideal. Aiming seems to respond as ideally as a 30Hz title could. The animations are just very realistic, so transitions are not instant. Combined with a tv, especially one that doesn't have ideal input lag for gaming, I could see how it would not feel good. It's one of the reasons I argue for 60Hz gaming on consoles. It will always feel better and more responsive.

There are some oddities with the control scheme, but I've adapted to them quickly. I would say they didn't think through some of the button choices very well, for looting and inventory management. The weapon wheel doesn't bother me too much, but it is a bit odd when you want to swap items. You kind of have to guess which position on the wheel the item would be in, and then rotate through the options. Once you know where everything it's fine, but it's not intuitive from the get go.

Overall, the complaints come across as very minor because the game is just so incredibly good. I can handle an odd ui design choice when weighted against all of the things the game does right, which is near all of it so far. I'm not going to get into ratings or comparisons to other games, because I just don't have much interest in taking part in that.

You came into a thread about a game that is the biggest achievement graphically on consoles right now, the x version, to tell us about freakin Detroit a “game” that is more movie than game. When Detroit becomes a huge open world game with the iq, the detail and the polish of rdr2 (again on the x) then we can talk again. I mean a Dave cage game of all things....loooool.

Can you quit it with the drive-by shit posting?

Really loving this game. Rockstar have crafted a beautiful, distinctive world that is both interesting and exciting - sometimes too exciting... stupid predators.

Outside of the main story quests, missions are just reasons to go to some point on a map, but not so much to complete your objective but see something new or interesting and have whatever adventures the game world will throw at you.

This many hours in the original RDR I'd had a dozen of the 'random' events (a lady asking for help, a couple of guns hiding behind a rock ready to ambush me) to the point where I just rode around the area in a wide arc but RDR2 is so much better. I've already had a couple of instances of helping somebody and it paying off big hours and hours later on that I'd almost forgotten the person I helped, and the game acknowledges this by having the person remind you what you did, where and when.

I like the pacing and the way the story (at least so far) never makes you feel there is tremendous urgency do any particular thing. Once you're out of the tutorial zone, it just opens up. Do that thing now if you want, or don't. Do it latter or never. Compared to Witcher 3 where it's greatly impressed upon you many times in the story that object X is critical. If my daughter's life is in danger why would waste time to help some old baggage find her lost locket?

Like Xbat, I like the way Arthur feels. He's a big guy, not Max Payne. He feels 'right'. And his character, which I'm playing as honourable, is warming to me. He's pretty much a blank slate at the start of the game but his interactions feel warmer now which I assume is a consequence of honour.

At first i was not really impressed, thought it was ok, or even rough looking at times. But once you leave the snowy area and settle in the second camp, it really takes off, the vistas are beautiful.

Starting in the snowy area is genius because it is still beautiful but moving into the heartlands is an absolute visual treat. And you know the next area you move into will look even better. I'm tempted to head into St. Denis, but I'm holding back until the game is ready to send me there for whatever reason.

There are so many things that baffle my mind that I can't list them all:

- Horse riding, following the gang by pressing X. Sometimes it seems to work, sometimes it does not. Pressing double X change position. Sometimes work, sometimes not. This is a system used 95% of the gameplay time so far...how can this be so clunky/glitchy?

This works consistently for me. Double-tap X to move up, R1 to drop back.

- and what about the crazy menus...you sometimes have to go down several layers in a menu...then use circle to went them up again

If you hold CIRCLE, you exit all the way out. Holding Options takes you straight into the map. There are probably some other shortcuts that the game doesn't tell you about because it hates you.

I've now got used to the menu system. I still don't like it but it no longer frustrates me and it's not something you're using a lot for the most part. However, I am now addicted to poker so my already poor campaign progression is about to get even slower. A real shame Liars's Dice doesn't appear to be in the game, I really liked that in RDR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't had any trouble with lag but the control mapping is really confusing and inconsistent. There are so many contextual cases, all with different buttons instead of using a single context action button like every other game out there. Even switching to FPS standard barely helps. Jump remains on square, melee/reload is on circle and sneak is on X. Cocking a rifle is also inexplicably done with a half trigger pull instead of being automatic after each shot.

Cocking a rifle is also inexplicably done with a half trigger pull instead of being automatic after each shot.

You need abetter rifle! :yes: Weapons work very different in RDR2, similar to how their real world counterparts.

I was going to go out and do some hunting today to make a little money so I can upgrade the camp, then I few people mentioned some lady was skulking about and by my tent I have a letter. Intriguing. Once again, my plans go awry. :yes:

Loved what I've played so far, I'm kinda losing track of what I need to play though with so many good games :runaway:
You need to play more RDR2. Why are you even wasting time posting here? :runaway: I was worried I wouldn't finish Oddysey before RDR2 but I burned out on Odyssey. I absolutely hated the rubber-band levelling system where everything is your level and differences in weapon/gear status between levels meant you were constantly managing your gear which was just too annoying.

The game is absolutely GORGEOUS on any aspect and platform, pushing all the consoles to new heights, a thing that only RDR1 and GTAV managed to do.

It's impressive how Rockstar went from the not so good port of GTA V on current gen in 2014 to RDR2.

The only problem is the temporal reconstruction on PS4 Pro which is awful and in some instances can lead to image quality that is worse than the one of the base PS4

XB1X - PS4Pro - XB1S - PS4

LzsfYVG.jpg

So the game is running with half the pixel count of 4K but it doesn't look nearly as good.

For reference this is AC: Odyssey that runs with dynamic resolution but it's targeting 1440p (few pixel less than half 4K).

Hm7jPBo.jpg

A simple solution like that to me would be much better. I hope they patch it soon and give us the ability to have a choice.

The best solution would be having a proper checkerboard rendering.
The one in Watch Dogs 2 is AMAZING.

Just when I think they went for a 100% grounded game. :runaway:

it's just an easter egg c'mon.
I hope it's going to turn out to be a more complex and crazier easter egg in single player and not a pointless reference not leading to a reward that R* is going to add only to the online version of the game as DLC in 4 years

Really loving this game. Rockstar have crafted a beautiful, distinctive world that is both interesting and exciting - sometimes too exciting... stupid predators.

Outside of the main story quests, missions are just reasons to go to some point on a map, but not so much to complete your objective but see something new or interesting and have whatever adventures the game world will throw at you.

This many hours in the original RDR I'd had a dozen of the 'random' events (a lady asking for help, a couple of guns hiding behind a rock ready to ambush me) to the point where I just rode around the area in a wide arc but RDR2 is so much better. I've already had a couple of instances of helping somebody and it paying off big hours and hours later on that I'd almost forgotten the person I helped, and the game acknowledges this by having the person remind you what you did, where and when.

I like the pacing and the way the story (at least so far) never makes you feel there is tremendous urgency do any particular thing. Once you're out of the tutorial zone, it just opens up. Do that thing now if you want, or don't. Do it latter or never. Compared to Witcher 3 where it's greatly impressed upon you many times in the story that object X is critical. If my daughter's life is in danger why would waste time to help some old baggage find her lost locket?

Like Xbat, I like the way Arthur feels. He's a big guy, not Max Payne. He feels 'right'. And his character, which I'm playing as honourable, is warming to me. He's pretty much a blank slate at the start of the game but his interactions feel warmer now which I assume is a consequence of honour.

Starting in the snowy area is genius because it is still beautiful but moving into the heartlands is an absolute visual treat. And you know the next area you move into will look even better. I'm tempted to head into St. Denis, but I'm holding back until the game is ready to send me there for whatever reason.

This works consistently for me. Double-tap X to move up, R1 to drop back.

If you hold CIRCLE, you exit all the way out. Holding Options takes you straight into the map. There are probably some other shortcuts that the game doesn't tell you about because it hates you.

I've now got used to the menu system. I still don't like it but it no longer frustrates me and it's not something you're using a lot for the most part. However, I am now addicted to poker so my already poor campaign progression is about to get even slower. A real shame Liars's Dice doesn't appear to be in the game, I really liked that in RDR.
that's really cool, a RPG-ish touch which is kinda surprising, because in the original RDR people could be very forgetful, though I loved the game anyways.

Arthur is a big guy, but some people think the controls could be better, that he feels slow and heavy sometimes, or that performing certain actions can be cumbersome because you have to hold a button and then press another button, for simple things. Is that right?

Anyways, for those like me waiting for a PC version, here is a list of best western games that aren't RDR2 (they forgot the original Call of Juarez, the best, imho, but anyways)

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-western-games-that-arent-red-dead-redemption-2

VbuM2vrTvScmEVHs74FoPo-650-80.jpg

The picture is from Outlaws, a game from 1997 featured in the article.

it's just an easter egg c'mon.
I think you misunderstand, I love this and I hope there is more of it in the game. Remember those yeti theories in GTA III San Andreas and that place was was super creepy with bespoke sound effects? That stuff is great. It's not overbearing, not part of the main campaign but there for those of us who like to explore all the places in the world.

I still can't comprehend how huge it feels. Just zipping my way around the area of Chapter 2 takes some time, now open the map, zoom right out and scroll around what is presumably the size of the complete map. Yikes. :yep2: I'm betting at some point, transport like trains and stagecoaches will become appealing and useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's really cool, a RPG-ish touch which is kinda surprising, because in the original RDR people could be very forgetful, though I loved the game anyways.

Polygon described it as a wild western RPG with action and I'm with them on this. It's nice taking on missions and knowing I may never have to take my gun out of its holster. It's a shame that the tutorial for the game mechanics is absolute bare bones.

More than a dozen hours in I feel I know less about the game mechanics than when I first started because they introduce them stealthily, like camp upgrading, never mention them and just hope you find them and work out the benefits? :???:

Anybody feeling a little lost with any of the game mechanics, take an hour to read through many of the game guides now on the internet. I'm not a huge fan of Polygon but their RDR2 guides are clear and concise and come in both video and written article form.

I think you misunderstand, I love this and I hope there is more of it in the game. Remember those yeti theories in GTA III San Andreas and that place was was super creepy with bespoke sound effects? That stuff is great. It's not overbearing, not part of the main campaign but there for those of us who like to explore all the places in the world.

I still can't comprehend how huge it feels. Just zipping my way around the area of Chapter 2 takes some time, now open the map, zoom right out and scroll around what is presumably the size of the complete map. Yikes. :yep2: I'm better at some point, transport like trains will become appealing and useful.

I am actually a bit disappointed in the map size, I expected the new area to be about 25% bigger at least but when playing it feels Big Enough (pun intended)

This might just be the best looking game of the generation, at the cost of base console h/w choking on performance. I think it's even more impressive than what GTA V was when it released on PS3/X360. The most impressive parts of this are the shadows and lighting for me, the opening part of the game with the soft/diffused shadows everywhere and the thick volumetric fog is just mindbogglingly good.

Back