Red Dead Redemption 2

From resetera Pro
rdr2-pro.jpg

There's a suggestion that Sony wanted half horizontal resolution so they could keep full vertical for claims of 4k 2160p on marketing instead of a sub-4k resolution with CB or other method.

/tinfoil

I agree that some of the menus and controls are not intuitive. Other issue I have is I prefer to turn off snap aim but its hard finding a balance of sensitivity and acceleration that I like. Even on the lowest setting there's still acceleration. I think I'll try max accel and low sens.

So I had the chance to sit down with both versions (Pro & X) of RDR2, and compare them. There is no denying XB1-X version is running in native 4K and has the cleaner image quality (duh!). That being said, the Pro version isn't bad, not at all. The anti-aliasing and resolution method are the problems. Assets (i.e., textures, materials, etc..) in the Pro version are very well defined and comparable to XB1-X version, but, the Pro version has a nasty blur problem (especially viewing things closely) that reduces clarity of the visuals. The resolution method, especially with fast movement, causes an interlace looking effect that's jarring at times. As I stated before, games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, God of War, and Detroit: Become Human have better image quality over Pro's version of RDR2.

As for the game itself, I'm enjoying it a lot, a whole lot. Rockstar's eye for cinematography angles and gorgeous scenic views, proves once again, why they're the king of their craft (open-world games). The game's mood, voiceovers, casting, and writing are definitely Hollywood quality or at least a good Netflix show. I don't find myself bored, not in the slightest bit. The game so far, is keeping me on wanting more. It has that "Grand Theft Auto San Andreas" and "Vice City" type of keep your attention type of story, but on a much grander scale. Visually the game is gorgeous, drop dead gorgeous. However, they are some low quality assets/textures (i.e., horse mane, coat fur, hair, certain rocks, tree barks, etc..) and certain poly-meshes or geometry (i.e., certain rock surfaces, buildings, etc...), that could have stood (used) some type of tessellation on their surfaces. Outside of that, what really makes this RDR2 standout visually, is the lighting, shadowing, fogging and weather system (hands down the best real-time weather system since Horizon Zero Dawn). No doubt, Cyberpunk 2077 lighting and weather system has to come with it... "the goods," on dethroning Rockstar's visual splendor.

Anyhow, if I had to choose the best looking game visually across consoles, it would be Detroit: Become Human for a whole host of reasons. But overall presentation, grandeur, storytelling, cinematics, gameplay, audio, and everything else, no doubt Red Dead Redemption 2 wins that battle, including game of the year, IMHO.
All this wall of text just to declare a movie-like game with limited gameplay and small areas as the best looking game. Yeah and dragon’s lair was the best looking game once , whatever....

Played the first couple of hours, very early in the game.

I am really disappointed so far...the controls and the overall clunkiness is nearly killing every joy I can potentially have with this gorgeous looking game. It looks and sounds amazing...but it feels like a game from 10 years ago.

It shows again that all reviews nowadays are useless money sell outs...unbelievable fcked up.

I already threw my controller through the room because it is such a frustrating game to play.

I honestly believe that to pay back the 100h+ crunch time some devs had to do, they maliciously designed the controls to actually fight me and actively prevent any joy. Who ever designed the control scheme, should never be part of game development ever again imo - fck that stupid horde of pigs!

And even if you try to ignore the controls, then the clunkiness and the unresponsiveness of the animation systems is killing me...for one of the first missions you have to enter a train. Although I ordered my AI partner to stay behind, he suddenly wanted to pass me while I was looting enemies...but because the animation system simulates stiff wood people, by passing me it just move/glided me to the side and well pushing me down the driving train...dead. Dead means rinse and repeat the stupid non-skippable (hello 2018) little intro cutscene and play everything again, actively running as fast as possible through the train such that the stupid AI does not pushed me off again :(

I had to stop now as it is such a sad experience. Will try later this evening, hoping that I can ignore the pain...

PS: Also, I had to change the control scheme to shoot and aim with L1/R1 as this is also one of the few games where the implemented the analogous controls of L2/R2 such that old PS controllers just don't work as button presses don't register at all.

There's a suggestion that Sony wanted half horizontal resolution so they could keep full vertical for claims of 4k 2160p on marketing instead of a sub-4k resolution with CB or other method.

/tinfoil

I think this has more to do with Rockstar's engine, than Sony's PR department. The Rage Engine carries a lot of baggage from previous generations and it shows. I'm certain Rockstar's resolution reconstruction fitted their engine capabilities... without the need for rewriting large chunks of code. Or breaking RAGE's graphics pipeline for a true custom CBR (first-party like) solution on a multiplatform game. The real issue(s) with Pro's RDR2 is the aggressive temporal anti-aliasing, resolution choice, and image reconstruction, thats causing a heavy blur, and odd like interlacing effects during fast movements.

Um, what the hell are you talking about? I gave an honest opinion on what I thought and that bothers you? Contribute something more and get thicker skin.
You came into a thread about a game that is the biggest achievement graphically on consoles right now, the x version, to tell us about freakin Detroit a “game” that is more movie than game. When Detroit becomes a huge open world game with the iq, the detail and the polish of rdr2 (again on the x) then we can talk again. I mean a Dave cage game of all things....loooool.

Played the first couple of hours, very early in the game.

I am really disappointed so far...the controls and the overall clunkiness is nearly killing every joy I can potentially have with this gorgeous looking game. It looks and sounds amazing...but it feels like a game from 10 years ago.

It shows again that all reviews nowadays are useless money sell outs...unbelievable fcked up.

I already threw my controller through the room because it is such a frustrating game to play.

I honestly believe that to pay back the 100h+ crunch time some devs had to do, they maliciously designed the controls to actually fight me and actively prevent any joy. Who ever designed the control scheme, should never be part of game development ever again imo - fck that stupid horde of pigs!

And even if you try to ignore the controls, then the clunkiness and the unresponsiveness of the animation systems is killing me...for one of the first missions you have to enter a train. Although I ordered my AI partner to stay behind, he suddenly wanted to pass me while I was looting enemies...but because the animation system simulates stiff wood people, by passing me it just move/glided me to the side and well pushing me down the driving train...dead. Dead means rinse and repeat the stupid non-skippable (hello 2018) little intro cutscene and play everything again, actively running as fast as possible through the train such that the stupid AI does not pushed me off again :(

I had to stop now as it is such a sad experience. Will try later this evening, hoping that I can ignore the pain...

PS: Also, I had to change the control scheme to shoot and aim with L1/R1 as this is also one of the few games where the implemented the analogous controls of L2/R2 such that old PS controllers just don't work as button presses don't register at all.
The controls are meant to feel deliberate and laboured. This isn't a cheesy platformer. The movement is meant to be guided in long sweeping motions, not twitchy like controlling Mario with constant animation popping.

Even going back to Assassin's Creed unity from Origins is like going from arcade controls to a human simulator - despite the added difficulty. I always appreciated the added weight required for more realistic motion. I was so disappointed when Rockstar moved away from this approach in gta 5 from the far more realistic and nuanced gta 4 animation.

I find the movement and controls deep and very realistic. Not everyone can drive stick shift, but don't rain on everyone's parade if you're not capable enough to handle the controls.

You came into a thread about a game that is the biggest achievement graphically on consoles right now, the x version, to tell us about freakin Detroit a “game” that is more movie than game. When Detroit becomes a huge open world game with the iq, the detail and the polish of rdr2 (again on the x) then we can talk again. I mean a Dave cage game of all things....loooool.

Once again you're mad at an opinion piece... thicker skin my friend. Thicker skin...

If you want to play with free aim, i recommend setting aim acceleration to max and then adjusting yout sens to where you like it. You'll get a nice linear response as you move the right stick.

The animation in this game is phenomenal. I don't have any issue with the movement of my player. The ui is poor though. Inventory management is not good.

The ui is poor though. Inventory management is not good.

The L1 inventory menu I'm use to (GTA thing), but the sub-menues within it, are somewhat iffy and touchy. Holding L1, tapping L2 or R2, then R-sticking over, then letting L1 go is somewhat of an hassle on getting something you need very quickly. A keyboard in this situation would be so much better.

You mean high input lag ?

There's definitely an inertia for big names. Also, if a huge title like that fails, it's simply not good for the industry. It's in everyone interest this game is a success. That being said, i don't think you can get 95+ on Meta if your game doesn't have some strong qualities.

Not so sure about that. I am playing it on my X right now and more often than not the game's assets don't hold up on close scrutiny, low res textures, low poly models and less than stellar character models are quite prevalent actually. The game overall looks great, on par with Horizon Zero Dawn both trade blows. However some linear games certainly do things far more impressive in certain aspects which in term yields a more graphically impressive output. Play the damn thing and look past the launch hype now.

You mean high input lag ?

There are so many things that baffle my mind that I can't list them all:

- Horse riding, following the gang by pressing X. Sometimes it seems to work, sometimes it does not. Pressing double X change position. Sometimes work, sometimes not. This is a system used 95% of the gameplay time so far...how can this be so clunky/glitchy?

- Having to go orient myself right, such that pick up/open/etc options appear. This is really 1889.

- Having the same button for interacting with people and aiming with weapon. Holly shit, due to the extreme lag of this game, you have to make sure to not accidentally shoot someone while trying to open the interaction menu.

- Having to hold the button for most actions...what the actual heck! Also, the context sensitive interface seems to be more random than following a certain structure. E.g. I press L1 to "interact" with horse, however I cannot mount it in this menu. Outside of the menu it is Triangle.

- Gameplay feels exactly like a David Cage game: you don't actually control your avatar, but it feels more like directing the avatar to execute certain actions by pressing the button combination, like a never ending quick time event. Also: you press your button...it takes forever to execute the action.

- attaching to cover, jumping over something, running...all the basic movements seem to just not register/feel super laggy/glitchy...clunky.

- shooting feels actually ok to me, I don't mind it.

- having to always get your weapons from the horse, searching everytime through the menus to equip all the weapons you want to take with you...at least give me an option to equip my last load out, or let me store a load out to streamline this annoying mechanic.

- searching for loot: triangle is used to open, but square is used to pick up stuff...then again, triangle is used to loot bodies...and all need to be pressed and hold...what the actual heck.

- and what about the crazy menus...you sometimes have to go down several layers in a menu...then use circle to went them up again

- press L1 to get the weapon wheel, holding it, choose weapon with stick and let go of L1 to select. Or press R3 to clean weapon. Or Press R1 to change through the slot, while holding stick in the direction..so convoluted.

- well, lets make it short...basically every input interaction is badly designed, clunky, and convoluted.

That being said, i don't think you can get 95+ on Meta if your game doesn't have some strong qualities.

I do not follow your argument here?

It is exactly the 95+ that brings me to the conclusion that modern gaming reviews are dead, cause of sell outs.

95+ means that it is among the best games ever existed. Do we really give perfect scores for games with such input and gameplay problems? I only played a couple of hours, so hopefully this game picks up and starts to tell a story in a decent pace...but so far I would give it a solid 80...and the only reason is that it is gorgeous to look at with great character design so far.

Boy I hope I find the real story missions such that I don't have to go through the super boring UBI-type side missions. Collect money from three assholes: ride your horse for 3 minutes to first destination (holding X), 30 seconds interaction with NPC, then ride horse for 6 minutes to second destination (holding X), 30 seconds interaction with NPC, then ride horse for 2 minutes to third destination (holding X), 30 second interaction with NPC. Ride back to camp for 5 minutes (holding X), bring money to box. Oh yeah...amazing what they have achieved, let's give it a 10/10.

Not so sure about that. I am playing it on my X right now and more often than not the game's assets don't hold up on close scrutiny, low res textures, low poly models and less than stellar character models are quite prevalent actually. The game overall looks great, on par with Horizon Zero Dawn both trade blows. However some linear games certainly do things far more impressive in certain aspects which in term yields a more graphically impressive output. Play the damn thing and look past the launch hype now.

Well, to me, the game does look amazing. Some scenes look like right out of a real movie..breath taking! I play on Pro with a 1080p TV, downsampling activated (not sure if it does anything here). I do like the density of the world, and the number of different assets. In addition, the character design and the facial animations are top notch to me.

Back