Red Dead Redemption 2

That said, I could have done without the overanimated Euphoria nonsense. It looks super neat, but the one area where I'm not appreciating inconvenience is controls. It's not GTA IV bad, though, is it?

The lack of consistency of the controls is an issue. On PlayStation it's mostly Square to pickup/drop items except sometimes it's not. All other interaction is done using R2 which also locks Arthur's gaze onto that thing, be it a box or a person. Fine if it's a box but if it's a moving thing, such somebody riding in the opposite direction then as you get closer (and they pass you) the camera swings around behind you so you can't see what's in front of you and it feels really awkward.

Also the game requires a lot of long-presses for many things, presumably to avoid mis-presses but it wants you to hold the button for way too long. Just exiting a menu means holding CIRCLE for what feels like a billion years.

One god awful Rockstar issue they still haven't fixed is Rockstar thinks the best time to pop up tips in the top-left corner of the screen is when you're doing something else like being in a conversation and listening to instructions for something you need to do in three seconds. While some tips are just hints that can be safely ignored, others are absolutely critical explanations of game mechanics or interpreting the HUD.

It's am amazing game but how was this not picked up in QA. Many previews and reviews noted that the menus and HUD were confusing and I'm certain that most of that is because people missed essential tips that don't seem to repeat and aren't listed in the in-game help system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been against checkerboarding from the get go and nobody is ever going to convince me that “it looks about the same as native” even with the, much worshiped, Sony exclusives. The difference between native and checkerboard is huge esp. with moving images, in stills less so.

Does RDR2 even uses checkerboarding? I did not check out DF analysis [I'm gonna skip on RDR2 videos until I get the chance to play it down the line], but what I read online said it was running in 1920*2160 with no CB.

Played a few hours last night. Man, it feels so good to be back in the saddle. ;) Definitely slower pace & much more involved. Both of which I knew about ahead of time, but was still surprising to experience it. Haven't got out of the tutorial section yet. Hopefully that comes after my next mission. I want to just go exploring! :) BTW, I'm playing the XB1S & 55" 1080p TV. :( Not a terrible experience but I'm sure it would be amazing on the XB1X & a 4K TV. Maybe next year or I could always win one from Taco Bell. LOL

Tommy McClain

That said, I could have done without the overanimated Euphoria nonsense. It looks super neat, but the one area where I'm not appreciating inconvenience is controls. It's not GTA IV bad, though, is it?

I love the animation and it was one of my favorite things and most next gen things back then in GTAIV.

I have been against checkerboarding from the get go and nobody is ever going to convince me that “it looks about the same as native” even with the, much worshiped, Sony exclusives. The difference between native and checkerboard is huge esp. with moving images, in stills less so.

The problem in this case is that the Pro version kinda looks worse than the base PS4 version, while running at double the res. Which in itself is crazy.

The question is not really about native vs reconstruct, here there is something that clearly went wrong.

It's very surprising from Rockstar and their time and resources to end up with a half horizontal res interlaced TAA output for PS4 Pro and not implement the excellent CB methods seen in a number of PS titles.

The problem in this case is that the Pro version kinda looks worse than the base PS4 version, while running at double the res. Which in itself is crazy.

The question is not really about native vs reconstruct, here there is something that clearly went wrong.

That's why I want to see how 1080p output from the Pro looks like, if they downsample from a native 1920x2160 framebuffer to 1080p it should look good, shame that DF didn't touch 1080p output in their video.

That's why I want to see how 1080p output from the Pro looks like, if they downsample from a native 1920x2160 framebuffer to 1080p it should look good, shame that DF didn't touch 1080p output in their video.

I was literally thinking the same thing just now.

Then I realised that sending a 1080p signal to my TVs (and surely some others) would actually increase input lag quite a bit - as the TV has to then upscale the signal to 4K, which in the case of my TV in particular (a Sony, ironically) more than triples input lag.

I was literally thinking the same thing just now.

Then I realised that sending a 1080p signal to my TVs (and surely some others) would actually increase input lag quite a bit - as the TV has to then upscale the signal to 4K, which in the case of my TV in particular (a Sony, ironically) more than triples input lag.

yep, downsampling and then upsampling is not a solution, but some of us run 1080p screens so I would like to know how it looks.

Here's some Pro 1080p shots apparently

reddeadredemption2_20rlcqa.png

reddeadredemption2_20gwd55.png

reddeadredemption2_200hd5f.png

44837867274_8fe9ff643c_o.png

44837867714_eb43fe9a70_o.png

Last edited:

And North Koreans think they have it bad. Good job they don't have to deal with the hell of luxury goods! :runaway:

I'm really not making more progress with the story at all. This is one of those ludicrously large massive games that I may never finish the main campaign. Like how no matter how much I try, I can never stick to and complete the Dragonborn quest line in Skyrim. They are just too many other cool things to do. :yes: I'm still learning the games economy because there are a lot of weapons and camp upgrades I want. I sure hope it'll be possible to bath and have clothes cleaned at the camp.

Also playing on Pro on a 4K TV but I'm far too old and decrepit to see any graphical artefact from the sofa, the game looks great.

OLD EYES FTW! :cool:

I love the animation and it was one of my favorite things and most next gen things back then in GTAIV.

I also liked the animation. I just didn't like the insane amount of input delay it caused. Nico was about as maneuverable as a super market trolley, and every doorway became his worst nemesis. The fact that R* turned the physics way the hell down for GTA5 was an absolute blessing.

And North Koreans think they have it bad. Good job they don't have to deal with the hell of luxury goods! :runaway:

I mean, feel free to sell all your belongings and donate the proceeds to North Korea charities! Baby Jesus will love you for that. And Donald Trump, the main benefactor from those ‘charities’. Off topic.

I also liked the animation. I just didn't like the insane amount of input delay it caused. Nico was about as maneuverable as a super market trolley, and every doorway became his worst nemesis. The fact that R* turned the physics way the hell down for GTA5 was an absolute blessing.

I think it's now closer to GTAIV than GTAV, not absolutely sure haven't played GTAV in awhile.

So I had the chance to sit down with both versions (Pro & X) of RDR2, and compare them. There is no denying XB1-X version is running in native 4K and has the cleaner image quality (duh!). That being said, the Pro version isn't bad, not at all. The anti-aliasing and resolution method are the problems. Assets (i.e., textures, materials, etc..) in the Pro version are very well defined and comparable to XB1-X version, but, the Pro version has a nasty blur problem (especially viewing things closely) that reduces clarity of the visuals. The resolution method, especially with fast movement, causes an interlace looking effect that's jarring at times. As I stated before, games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, God of War, and Detroit: Become Human have better image quality over Pro's version of RDR2.

As for the game itself, I'm enjoying it a lot, a whole lot. Rockstar's eye for cinematography angles and gorgeous scenic views, proves once again, why they're the king of their craft (open-world games). The game's mood, voiceovers, casting, and writing are definitely Hollywood quality or at least a good Netflix show. I don't find myself bored, not in the slightest bit. The game so far, is keeping me on wanting more. It has that "Grand Theft Auto San Andreas" and "Vice City" type of keep your attention type of story, but on a much grander scale. Visually the game is gorgeous, drop dead gorgeous. However, they are some low quality assets/textures (i.e., horse mane, coat fur, hair, certain rocks, tree barks, etc..) and certain poly-meshes or geometry (i.e., certain rock surfaces, buildings, etc...), that could have stood (used) some type of tessellation on their surfaces. Outside of that, what really makes RDR2 standout visually, is the lighting, shadowing, fogging and weather system (hands down the best real-time weather system since Horizon Zero Dawn). No doubt, Cyberpunk 2077 lighting and weather system has to come with it... "the goods," on dethroning Rockstar's visual splendor.

Anyhow, if I had to choose the best looking game visually across consoles, it would be Detroit: Become Human for a whole host of reasons. But overall presentation, grandeur, storytelling, cinematics, gameplay, audio, and everything else, no doubt Red Dead Redemption 2 wins that battle, including game of the year, IMHO.

Last edited:
Back