Red Dead Redemption 2

I don't normally talk about Sony or PS, but wouldn't their money hat have a better effect on the look of the game on their platform? Now I'm curious as to how previous 3rd party games faired on their platform when they had a similar marketing presence?

Tommy McClain
I don't think money hatting has much to do with the technicality of the product these days, there would be legal declaration made prior about not gimping certain platform anyway, or else face the lawsuit. It's far more relevant to marketing, advertisement or exposure than anything else. If the average Joe cares more about resolution or fps Sony wouldn't have wasted millions since they know 1X is gonna outgun the Pro by math. As long as they make it look like Sony is the only platform selling it to the general public I think it is money well spent.

Well..RDR2 is indeed Native 4K on Xbox X and the IQ difference between the X and other consoles is insane.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-red-dead-redemption-2-face-off

compare168e1t.png

compare26ufpk.png

The reconstruction technique R* used on the Pro, looks terrible from the pictures. XB1-X looks clean and crisp as a native 4K game should be. XB1-X proves why a little additional money ($100) goes a long way on providing a better gaming experience. Can't wait to play this on XB1-X and hopefully a double dip on the PC.

Dark1x
Yeah, the reconstruction they're using is super weird. The PS4 Pro shots were captured at 4K while base PS4 was obviously 1080p scaled up. Pro image quality is not very good due to the reconstruction in use.

R* should have called Insomniac... because Spider-Man has some of the cleanest visuals for an open-world game (1440p game at that).

I don't think money hatting has much to do with the technicality of the product these days, there would be legal declaration made prior about not gimping certain platform anyway, or else face the lawsuit. It's far more relevant to marketing, advertisement or exposure than anything else. If the average Joe cares more about resolution or fps Sony wouldn't have wasted millions since they know 1X is gonna outgun the Pro by math. As long as they make it look like Sony is the only platform selling it to the general public I think it is money well spent.

True, but it's almost as if they gimped the PS4 version unless they have plans to patch it later. Just odd seeing it.

Tommy McClain

The PS4 is old. The game is ridiculously gorgeous. I doubt there was any sort of gimping going on. Either way, Shadow of the TR dropped frames whilst you were in the denser settlements as well and it didn't really bother me that much. I think I'm gonna be fine. And hey, maybe there'll be some sort of fix via patch in while. GTA V went from juddery while speeding to rock solid as well.

The PS4 is old. The game is ridiculously gorgeous. I doubt there was any sort of gimping going on. Either way, Shadow of the TR dropped frames whilst you were in the denser settlements as well and it didn't really bother me that much. I think I'm gonna be fine. And hey, maybe there'll be some sort of fix via patch in while. GTA V went from juddery while speeding to rock solid as well.

The PS4 version is ok, the PS4 Pro version is bad...

Last edited:
Hold your horses. Not all outlets have released their reviews yet

Clearly I got the review embargo time wrong as plenty of reviews are out now but I listened to Red Dead Radio's podcast from today on the way home and Greg Miller explained why he really didn't like RDR2 mostly because he felt that the game did not acknowledge or bend to his will for Arthur to be better outlaw, i.e. less indiscriminate killing and so. If true, this is definitely disappointing given how much Rockstar, the reviewers who played the previews, bigged up the importance of the revamped honour system.

Interesting his co-podcast host, Jared Petty, had a different experience so it'll be interesting to see how this plays. I was planning on going with honourable rogue but if the game is going to ignore this approach, I'll just go all-out-bastard route.

I very much like the sounds of the crafting, levelling and survival elements. I like those mechanics as long as they are not overbearing.

Oh well, time to read some more reviews. :runaway:

Sounds fantastic and can't wait till tomorrow.

I like to think I'm older, wiser and sensibly enough to not stay up until midnight to get a couple of hours in but who am I kidding? Genuinely new Rockstar open world game are getting further and further apart and it's only six hours. A few beers, pizza, watch the reviews and other coverage. It'll fly by and I'm not working tomorrow.

Kinda stupid not too, really. :yes:

Ps4 and Xbox One S version are ok, PS4 Pro version is bad other game have much better solution for reconstruction... Xbox One X version is great...

No the S version is not ok... the X version is outstanding though.

I would rank the versions like that :

X (by a far margin)
PS4
PS4Pro
S

Last edited:
Played a bunch at midnight and playing a bunch more now.

First impressions: are the controls are contextual which means they aren't don't behave consistently which is an irritating barrier to becoming familiar with is an overly convoluted menu system but there is no denying the game is amazing.

I can definitely see a lot of people being putt off by the pacing. There has never been a Rockstar game this slow-paced, indeed this feels slower than the Witcher 3. Personally I like it, it feels right for the environment and slower your down is obviously a deliberate choice given conventional fast travel is never really a thing even later in the game. It feels like the game wants you to have time to just take in the little details of the world, the story, the conversations and just think about what you've done and what you're doing next - assuming you can stay on track, which I can't because everything needs to be explored!

I'm still well in the tutorial zone which I gather it several hours long, depending on how you get distracted. I am utterly, utterly distracted. In three hours I've have only down two story missions and I cam keen to leave the snowy tutorial area because the snow makes traversal really quite difficult and slow but still fantastic.

Goodbye weekend, which mercifully looks crap weather wise in London. Oh well, guess I'll have to stay indoors then. :yes:

All the "laborious" stuff certain individuals are complaining about make me think that this game is gonna be right up my alley. The fact that R* insists you experience the world instead of having you comb through markers on a map screen and then fast travel wherever you need to be reminds me of my favorite open world game which is Breath of the Wild. In order for realism to work and immersion to kick in, a certain degree of inconvenience is utterly necessary if you ask me. That said, I could have done without the overanimated Euphoria nonsense. It looks super neat, but the one area where I'm not appreciating inconvenience is controls. It's not GTA IV bad, though, is it?

Game looks amazing and that it runs at 4k on Xbox X bodes well for next gen if we get 12 TFlop machines with architectural improvements. In fact from next gen on it will mainly be budget, time and talent that will differentiate the way games look.

It's kind of already happened this gen.

Back