The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

I've watched three more episodes of Black Sails (season 4). :-? A perfect example of how stupid we can be and how things can get too complicated in a stupid way because of our stupid pride.

I'm disliking Flint and Silver a lot. I didn't imagine this when I started watching the series, because I understood Flint and I kinda liked him, but now I'm even starting to see him as a pathetic human being that can't help but mess all things around him, and when he seems to take the right path, things are complicated again because of the situation for which he alone (practically) is responsible.

A bit of Better Call Saul so.4. Really weird how a show can be both oddly compelling (the acting is peerless and the cinematography is utterly gorgeous) yet incredibly dull at the same time. The show is just so slow-paced.

Last edited:
Black Sails, season 4, episode 6.

Nooooooo, poor Eleanor and Madi! And now Max, which was practically the only one I agreed with, has turned against the governor, as well. Yeah, right, because everything now is his fault (she even apologises for her "treason" when in fact her treason wasn't her fault and she always tried to help, how stupid)! ¬_¬ The governor is not one of my favourite characters nor the one I agree with more, but FFS, the first culprit is Flint. God, I can't with this show... even though I like it a lot, haha! :D

Black Sails gets even better from there. I certainly miss it. It'll be hard for another show to step into it's void.

Well, I finished Black Sails, season 4. So... it was as easy as simply "undoing" captain Flint, and that's it! ¬_¬ And things just end up almost the same they could have been as if Flint and their friendly pirates had signed the pardons when they were offered that at the beginning of the season: a governor in Nassau, along with "civilisation" and a reduced occurrence of piracy. So why all those deaths, which seemed to be necessary, inevitable and/or justified at their moment?

The only ones I felt really sorry for were the slaves, honestly. Pretty much everyone else chose the path that led to their stupid personal horror. I also think that the series has a wrong way to make us empathise with criminals, because yes, I can empathise with Flint and his personal story, but I didn't like the fact that all the deaths of the pirate faction were highly dramatised, while all the deaths they caused lacked the same drama and we just forget about them. They criticise the tyranny of a government but want to impose their own will and government with death and treason, without a law that can back up a trial (yes, I know that trials could be a mockery, sometimes, but still) and an overall well-being for society.

I really liked the previous three seasons, when everything seemed to make more sense. But this last season is the epitome of a stupid cause, and the plot just didn't hold up for me. I don't think it was as credible as in previous seasons. The whole "revolution" thing seemed quite artificial to me. I know they had to create something new, a background story for the characters we know from Treasure Island, but maybe it could have been done better... at least in this last part.

Finished Maniac. Liked it quite a bit. It's very different to say the least. Hard to get used to a moderately fit (he's no Chris Hemsworth) Jonah Hill, though. He's fantastic in it, though, and so is everyone else.

Well, I finished Black Sails, season 4. So... it was as easy as simply "undoing" captain Flint, and that's it! ¬_¬ And things just end up almost the same they could have been as if Flint and their friendly pirates had signed the pardons when they were offered that at the beginning of the season: a governor in Nassau, along with "civilisation" and a reduced occurrence of piracy. So why all those deaths, which seemed to be necessary, inevitable and/or justified at their moment?

The only ones I felt really sorry for were the slaves, honestly. Pretty much everyone else chose the path that led to their stupid personal horror. I also think that the series has a wrong way to make us empathise with criminals, because yes, I can empathise with Flint and his personal story, but I didn't like the fact that all the deaths of the pirate faction were highly dramatised, while all the deaths they caused lacked the same drama and we just forget about them. They criticise the tyranny of a government but want to impose their own will and government with death and treason, without a law that can back up a trial (yes, I know that trials could be a mockery, sometimes, but still) and an overall well-being for society.

I really liked the previous three seasons, when everything seemed to make more sense. But this last season is the epitome of a stupid cause, and the plot just didn't hold up for me. I don't think it was as credible as in previous seasons. The whole "revolution" thing seemed quite artificial to me. I know they had to create something new, a background story for the characters we know from Treasure Island, but maybe it could have been done better... at least in this last part.

I think it has been surprisingly historically correct and plausible. When I read up on the history of that place, I came away pretty surprised.

Your comment on the imbalance of drama reminds me of scenes from Austin Powers ...

I think it has been surprisingly historically correct and plausible. When I read up on the history of that place, I came away pretty surprised.
If you're referring to my comment regarding me feeling the revolution thing was artificial, I wasn't saying that it was historically not plausible. I meant that within the story and the context of previous seasons, I felt like it was something kind of rushed or a last minute idea. I'm not saying it was, maybe I just perceived it that way.

No matter what, I will still miss this series. A lot.

Your comment on the imbalance of drama reminds me of scenes from Austin Powers ...
Sadly, I haven't watched that movie, so I can't get your reference. :???:

I'm disappointed that Disney cancelled Iron Fist season 3 on Netflix. Season 2 was so much better than the first, and the third season was setup on such interesting premises. The talk is that Disney is trying to save ideas and shows for their own streaming service they're going to launch in 2019. Hopefully the dragon sisters show up in some other shows like Luke or Jones or another Defenders.

Today season 3 of DareDevil hits, hoping it turns out well.

Watched the first season of Young Sheldon on Amazon Prime. To my surprise I really enjoyed it. Much more so than The Big Bang Theory as a matter of a fact. It's sweet and funny and all the characters are wonderfully cast. The grandma in particular is simply outstanding. It's not a sitcom which I think is great cause I hate the stupid laughter tracks, the repetition and general feel of cheapness. I'd liken it more to a family drama in the vein of Malcolm in the Middle. Good stuff.

I only got around to watching Luther for the first time over the weekend. I'd seen an episode ages ago and had it on my list, but it fell thru the cracks, so to speak, until I saw the BBC do a trailer for a new season (which I think is early next year ?)

It's really, really, REALLY good. I was so disappointed when I discovered that still having the entire season 4 to watch, that it only comprised of 2 episodes.

I highly recommend it, in case there is another poor soul out there who hasn't come across it yet.

I found the only episode of Luther that I watched hysterically funny (the first episode, I think) and I don't think I was supposed to. It was just so ludicrously ridiculous that I couldn't be bothered to watch any more of them.

Oddly enough, despite being English, I just don't 'get' the attraction of most of the much-lauded British modern crime dramas. I think it is probably that they are just much too far-fetched to be believable. I think I probably allow the US-based shows a lot more leeway. Also, the characters in UK tend to be much too po-faced to be believable because there is not nearly enough piss-taking on show!

Back