Windows 10 [2018]

Have you tried other file managers?
Good idea,I like windows explorer though ( apart from not have tabs, dual panes etc ) whats the best free one?, I tried free commander, its decent but I prefer the look/feel of explorer

October Update version 1809 looks the most stable Windows 10 version so far. No stupid Start Menu/Taskbar freezes or Microsoft Edge hangs and slowdowns
I retract my comment - unfortunately Microsoft Edge still freezes and loses tabs at random, and other Windows Runtime apps are still very brittle.

It continues to amaze we how Microsoft would spend resources on stupid new features and "apps" that no-one really wants, but won't ever fix the fundamental problems that plague Windows for decades. It looks as if they had to give up on their core desktop user base and use their limited resources to pursue Satya Nadella's "Mobile first, cloud first" agenda - unfortunately the first part failed miserably, and what would happen to the second part (Windows Azure/Windows Server) if they also lose the desktop?

Last edited:
Oh boy!:rolleyes:

Windows 10 to use telemetry data to troubleshoot and automatically fix issues

Microsoft shared word that it will start using Windows 10 telemetry data to help users with computer problems. Users with problems currently have to find the right troubleshooter to try to solve their issue. With upcoming Windows 10 revisions, that'll become an automated process.

The improved troubleshooter will actively use your diagnostic telemetry data collected by the system to diagnose computer issues reports myce today. Based on that data, Windows 10 will detect the problem and provide a tailored set of fixes that are then automatically applied. Microsoft hasn’t provided any specifics on the information that is shared and used for this feature.
When, and if, the feature will be added to the production version of Windows 10 is unknown.
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/w...roubleshoot-and-automatically-fix-issues.html

Sounds like a good thing? If you're using Windows 10 then you're sending that data anyway so it might as well go to good use.

I retract my comment - unfortunately Microsoft Edge still freezes and loses tabs at random, and other Windows Runtime apps are still very brittle.

It continues to amaze we how Microsoft would spend resources on stupid new features and "apps" that no-one really wants, but won't ever fix the fundamental problems that plague Windows for decades. It looks as if they had to give up on their core desktop user base and use their limited resources to pursue Satya Nadella's "Mobile first, cloud first" agenda - unfortunately the first part failed miserably, and what would happen to the second part (Windows Azure/Windows Server) if they also lose the desktop?
the new update has been good in my case 'cos it brought back the spell checker -for some reason it didnt work before-, the language packs can be downloaded now -I couldnt download them in the previous version- and some enhancements like the new snipping tool or Storage sense are fine.

What I don't understand is why they removed the brightness slider from the battery options, 'cos now in order to change the overall brightness of the screen you have to go to Settings-->Display and it was easier before.

Unrelated question, but is there anyway I can sign into my google account on the PC with my phone? eg like with whatsapp I just scan a q-code on the PC screen with my phone, instead of typing a password on the PC everytime.
It seems like it would be quicker and prolly more secure (no keyloggers for example)

Unrelated question, but is there anyway I can sign into my google account on the PC with my phone? eg like with whatsapp I just scan a q-code on the PC screen with my phone, instead of typing a password on the PC everytime.
It seems like it would be quicker and prolly more secure (no keyloggers for example)
You still need to enter a password on occasion but I assume you've setup 2fa for your Google account? I rarely ever need to login again, once every few months?

yes I have 2fa, Sure I dont need to log in again usually if I dont log out, but Im talking about where I log out of the PC and then come back again and I want to log in again, I would prefer to just use my phone instead of being forced to retype the password again which is a bit unsafer, as more times I type = more chances someone is gonna see it

What does logging out of the PC have to do with your Google account? Also you can't use your phone to login since there's no mechanism to retrieve anything from your phone until it knows who you are by logging in...

What does logging out of the PC have to do with your Google account? Also you can't use your phone to login since there's no mechanism to retrieve anything from your phone until it knows who you are by logging in...
Oh but its very possible see what I wrote about whatsapp. Maybe you dont use it? If not heres how it works

1. PC go to browser log into https://web.whatsapp.com/
2. scan the Q code on the PC screen with your phone
3. Viola logged into whatsapp on the PC without typing a password

I want the above but with google account instead of gmail

it will sign in to your google account you use on your p.c which is what you want to do
(as long as you use the same login as you do on your p.c)
That's not what he's asking. He wants to authenticate from his phone whilst logging in on the PC.

Yes, surely this is a far safer way to log into say a PC in a library than typing your password into that machine? It could be quicker as well

Noticed with 1809 that remote desktop is blurry whenever you connect to another computer and have scaling at 200%. However the remote desktop client available on the windows store works ok

Last edited:
Found another change in behavior. I have been using a DVI to HDMI cable with my TV for over a year and have had HDR working that way. But now HDR will not enable unless I use straight HDMI.

The reason for the adapter is I also run a HDMI cable to my old receiver for audio. If I use the HDMI connection for the TV, there is no image during boot because the DVI connector has priority.

Back