HDR Gaming

Very pleasantly surprised that Ni No Kuni has an HDR mode that so far looks absolutely beautiful. Very wide color range fully used and bright highlights, without looking fake. It also has a 4K mode (I’m sure not native but still great). It looks beautiful. And ALL AT 60fps!

I fully expected a half baked or non existent Pro support like so many Japanese RPGs but this is definitely not one of them!

Last edited:
Very pleasantly surprised that Ni No Kuni has an HDR mode that so far looks absolutely beautiful. Very wide color range fully used and bright highlights, without looking fake. It also has a 4K mode (I’m sure not native but still great). It looks beautiful. And ALL AT 60fps!

I fully expected a half baked or non existent Pro support like so many Japanese RPGs but this is definitely not one of them!

One thing level 5 is known for is the technical skills. Those pro features don’t surprise me.

Sony has a presentation on hdr at gdc right? Did they add anything new? We are seeing more xbox games with hdr10 support and some just skip the ps4 version even when there are far more hdr capable devices out there. Did they say thry will add dolby vision hdr?

Last edited:
Homefront looks great with HDR enabled. Great looking game period. That parallax occlusion mapping they've got going on is truly something else. It's also a really engrossing shooty game and it can be had for 8 bucks on PSN right now. It's very Far Cry, but in terms of content it's tighter and feels more curated.
The Surge is another looker. When it comes to simply pumping out all around superbly balanced images that feel real, REVII, The Lost Legacy and AC Origins are really hitting it out of the park if you ask me. I haven't played GT Sports myself, but judging by DF's youtube videos, that would probably be my personal favorite in terms of HDR implementations yet.
Infamous was a case of too much of a good thing though. Even with contrast set to low it felt like the work of some kid who just discovered gradation curves in Photoshop.

4k output with HDR10 and 60Hz over HDMI 2.0, there must be chroma subsampling ... isn't it noticable?

4k output with HDR10 and 60Hz over HDMI 2.0, there must be chroma subsampling ... isn't it noticable?

4:2:2 or 4:2:0 is literally the only way you’ll get any 4K HDR content out of a console and into a TV. It’s also what every HDR game outputs. And of course it’s not noticeable.

With 4:4:4 you can only go up to 8-bit colour, which negates HDR. Pretty sure that’s a limit with HDMI, could be wrong though.

Again, chroma subsampling means nothing in the world of TVs and games, it’s not noticeable.

(All info above is off top of my head so there’s a 0.000001% chance it might be incorrect)

420 is definitely noticeable on certain colours on my 65inch b7 oled. Dithering patterns show on red and yellow colours in particular. But yuv422 in hdr, outputted from ps4 pro looks very good. No artifacts from about 6ft away

Again, chroma subsampling means nothing in the world of TVs and games, it’s not noticeable.

It is noticeable, games have text in them and HUD elements and rendered graphics are usually sharper than anything in movies, but maybe you are used to it. Did you use PC mode on your TV for console gaming (before HDR arrived)?

With 4:4:4 you can only go up to 8-bit colour, which negates HDR. Pretty sure that’s a limit with HDMI, could be wrong though.

4:4:4 with HDR should be possible over HDMI 2.1

4:4:4 with HDR should be possible over HDMI 2.1
Yes. As I said it is not possible now as 2.1 hardware is nowhere to be seen.

As far as noticeable, I guess that’s in the eye of the beholder. And distance from TV. And type of content.

Last edited:
has anyone tested RDR 2 HDR? It seems like some users are having issues with it.

has anyone tested RDR 2 HDR? It seems like some users are having issues with it.
It's very subtle. And despite only having a single slider to control, it does an amazing job overcoming the tonemapping issues of the lg oleds in game mode. I'm loving the cinematic and subdued approach to hdr that Rockstar has taken.

It's very subtle. And despite only having a single slider to control, it does an amazing job overcoming the tonemapping issues of the lg oleds in game mode. I'm loving the cinematic and subdued approach to hdr that Rockstar has taken.
that's the good thing about it, and the issue some people are having with it. Those people want two HDR sliders like in AC or similar games, and think the HDR in RDR2 is broken.

that's the good thing about it, and the issue some people are having with it. Those people want two HDR sliders like in AC or similar games, and think the HDR in RDR2 is broken.

That should really be the standard anyway, regardless of RDR2.

Rockstar is seriously the first dev to nail the hdr standard. Other than a bit of banding, it's a reference image. It's really too bad about the negative feedback regarding RDR 2's HDR. I sold tvs for 5 years in my youth, and also was a professional display calibrator. Joe blow just loves vivid mode...

"Think it's broken" ? Not, it is :

(see the hdr section around 7:30).

Or we're not talking about the same thing.

Yep. Been discussed on the RDR2 thread and the DF one too.

Going back to HDR Gaming, I booted up the demo of Tetris Effect yesterday, surpisingly it supports HDR and turning up brightness actually does the right thing (only raising peak brightness and not messing up the whole image) and needless to say, it's brain meltingly cool.

I see the new 8K Samsung is supposed to push 4000 nits and has a decent full array backlight. Would love to see a review of it but what I did read made it sound like a HDR beast.

The prices on that 8k Samsung aren't that bad on the 65 and 75" models and Samsung is promising an upgrade one connect box to true HDMI 2.1 when it becomes possible. I expected the initial prices to be higher than that, so this makes me think that there will be quite a bit of these 8k TVs sooner than expected.

The prices on that 8k Samsung aren't that bad on the 65 and 75" models and Samsung is promising an upgrade one connect box to true HDMI 2.1 when it becomes possible. I expected the initial prices to be higher than that, so this makes me think that there will be quite a bit of these 8k TVs sooner than expected.
ufff, I wonder when the hardware is going to be able to live up to that

Back