Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

Maybe they could just give you a diffusive reflector to attach to the ceiling, at least you wouldn't have to pull a very expensive cable to it.

To me carmack's talk was fascinating. He is quite open about how oculus go turned out, what they are doing, what works, doesn't work.

Some of the nuggets are that go apparently is very popular for japan and reason for that is unknown. Similarly statistics show people using go a lot more than gearvr. Why that is is unknown but carmack makes some guesses why that could be.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be simply related to the fact that the Japanese seem to not like PCs very much as a gaming platform? Conventional wisdom holds that they prefer smaller devices, such as consoles. Favouring standalone VR headsets over those that must be attached to big desktop PCs seems consistent.

Consumer version pimax 8k/5k review. Looks good, but I'll pass for now. I'll probably upgrade to whatever is best solution when oculus comes out with successor to rift.I feel pimax is too clunky and might fall in between generations from the big players(oculus/htc vive)

A friend linked me some info on the Pimax headsets, definitely interesting, especially as Oculus didn't really have much to say about their next generation of headset, just the lower spec Quest.... Could be won over by it, but want to see a lot more info, especially wrt it's integration with existing software...

I liked the display quality comparisons on that video. Really shows rift is starting to lag badly behind competition. Pimax 5k is dynamite and the scaling on 8k is just bad. Also just crazy how 1080ti is not fast enough for those resolutions without dropping rendering quality.

8k version is kind of hoax as it can't run native resolution. That other 8k x model that can could be interesting if there is any computer available that can drive it well.

That's another thing thats making me pause with the Pimax stuff, I have a 1070 on my main machine and reasonable mobile gpu (1080m? I forget) on my laptop and they can cope pretty well with exisiting OR stuff. I'm really not keen on splashing out on a Pimax, then the same amount again getting a GPU Upgrade :)

I really wish next gen headsets would have eye tracking and compelementary suite of rendering tricks to put detail where it's needed while achieving reasonable performance on reasonable hw.

Pimax shows the time of brute force is over.

Has anyone tried wrench? This sounds quite interesting, but not sure how fun it would be in the end. My summer car was kind of fun but so difficult that I lost interest.

Wrench‘s game flow revolves around servicing complete cars, not building cars from a pile of parts,” Moody said. “The videos I have been pushing show building from a pile of parts because that is an easier narrative to drill down into a 1-2 minute format- From a gameplay perspective its substantially different. The approach I am taking is that the total assembly is quite complicated and we don’t expect new players to jump into the most difficult tasks straight away. New players can nibble around the edges of the assembly and then slowly move deeper into the car as they feel more confident. That progression might look something like this: Oil changes, brake pad changes, larger suspension work, replacing engine accessories/timing belt, and then finally moving into rebuilding engines

https://uploadvr.com/wrench-gives-you-a-different-kind-of-car-simulator/

Curved screen should result in cheaper, more effective lenses. You'll not get optical artefacts if the distance from the lens surface to the screen is uniform for the whole screen

Not good :( was hoping for a clear path to rift 2 but I can see them quietly forgetting about it..... Quest seemed like something that would only cannibalise their Oculus Go system and doesn't seem to be one thing or another. Ho hum.

This royally sucks if oculus starts to treat pc as second class citizen. I can understand that from business pov, but me as pc gamer is unhappy. Masses are outside highend pc but I would rather have future today than tomorrow.

Oculus was dead to me the moment Facebook was involved.

What's happened since then? I remember there being optimism that FB would inject some of their limitless cash into Oculus and game development, but I ain't heard nowt since though haven't been following.

FaceBook / Oculus funded some pretty good games (Lone Echo, Luckys Tale, RoboRecall , Dead and Buried,The Unspoken) in an attempt to kickstart a market that had been flooded by 5 minute tech demos. Worked to an extent , but not enough and despite the last conference announcing a follow up to Lone Echo I can't help but feel that they've lost interest in it as something other then a gimmick. The Quest stuff feels like a half way house and can't see the market for it. To be fair, looking at what you need to drive something like the Pimax 5/8k at a decent framerate / resolution the market for those devices is tiny. I'd say look back in 5 years time when they've got things like eye tracking / foveated rendering working properly. If they can maintain peoples interest till then.....

Back