Red Dead Redemption 2

EDIT:

i wonder why sony always needs double space...
Double space? The PS4 and XBO versions are the roughly the same size, within a gig or two.

Or you referring to the extra 50Gb PS4 uses during installation only? That'd likely be due to whatever arcane magic Sony employ that allows PS4 to to be playable ludicrously fast - long before the game has been installed on the HDD.[/user]

Double space? The PS4 and XBO versions are the roughly the same size, within a gig or two.

Or you referring to the extra 50Gb PS4 uses during installation only? That'd likely be due to whatever arcane magic Sony employ that allows PS4 to to be playable ludicrously fast - long before the game has been installed on the HDD.[/user]

I really enjoy that feature. I can't even think of a modern day [digital download] PC game that allows the user to do that.

I really enjoy that feature. I can't even think of a modern day [digital download] PC game that allows the user to do that.
There was a game or two that allows that. I totally forgot what game tho.

The way it work was the same as Ps4. Where the game was made in chunks and the first level chunks only need very short install time..

Something like this was pretty popular many years ago with "minimal install" or "selective install" or install disk 1, play and in background it's installing disk 2.

Edit!, I. Remember!! Destiny 2 on pc have the first level in its own chunk.

There was a game or two that allows that. I totally forgot what game tho.

A game a two? As somebody who still buys a lot of games on disc, it's more than just the odd game. I don't own any PS4 games where you cant begin the game any slower than about 40 seconds after inserting the disc and the install starting. There probably are some games that can't do this, but I can't think of any.

That includes big open world games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Watch Dogs 2 and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

A game a two? As somebody who still buys a lot of games on disc, it's more than just the odd game. I don't own any PS4 games where you cant begin the game any slower than about 40 seconds after inserting the disc and the install starting. There probably are some games that can't do this, but I can't think of any.

That includes big open world games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Watch Dogs 2 and Rise of the Tomb Raider.
Spiderman requires a big install after inserting the disc

I was replying to a comment about pc.

Horizon was not on pc, I think.

Dunno about wd2 and rotr as I have not played them on pc tho.

Anyway,, I wonder, how big the area. You can explore just by the initial chunk downloaded?

How do they limit the area? Surely an invisible wall would be annoying.

Maybe the first mission is linear? Like gta v

Spider-man was a weird outlier, I haven't seen such a long install all gen on the PS4.

When you consider how Spider-Man starts, with Peter jumping out a window and putting the player in full control, it makes sense. You can you go anywhere in the city from the first moments of gameplay so every asset used to recreate New York - geometry, textures, vehicles and pedestrians models, sounds - needs to have been installed and ready to stream in.

Diablo III and StarCraft 2 allow you to start shortly after starting the game download.

You used to be able to include World of Warcraft in that list too I don't know if you still can. As much I dislike bespoke installers and game front-ends, Blizzard's installer is pretty good.

Be careful of the deluge of leaks today.

RDR2 will be my first disc game of this generation. Pre-ordered the Special Edition last week or so. Wanted it for the world map. What can I say? I'm a map guy & do it for a living. But I did make a deal with my son to sell the disc to him for cheap so I can buy the digital version too. LoL

BTW found a nice behind-the-scenes article on VG247...

https://www.vg247.com/2018/10/23/red-dead-redemption-2-physics-ai-euphoria-phil-hooker-interview/

Tommy McClain

Be careful of the deluge of leaks today.

There's been a ton of videos leaking for a few days as has the game map and the weapons lists. I'm ignoring it all, this is a game I just to slide into knowing nothing more than Rockstar have shown.

Even the review embargo (2300 GMT tomorrow) is just one hour before the game unlocks digitally in the UK. :runaway:

Spider-man was a weird outlier, I haven't seen such a long install all gen on the PS4.

Fallout 4 requires a complete install before you can start playing as well. You can look at Pip Boy videos while you wait, but that's it. Titanfall 2 was similar in that regard, although that one at least let you do the training course over and over. Pretty sure there's plenty more examples.

Well..RDR2 is indeed Native 4K on Xbox X and the IQ difference between the X and other consoles is insane.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-red-dead-redemption-2-face-off

compare168e1t.png

compare26ufpk.png

Just watched Jimpressions video, damn this game looks gorgeous and he shows very little. Not watching anymore, waiting to experience myself.

DF confirmed the reconstruction tech used in Pro is far from the standards of HZD, really a piss poor job done by Rockstar considering the budget and experience. The X really knocked it out of the park tho, super impressive indeed. Gonna see how this looks on my X and HDR set tomorrow at native 4k.

I am very surprised by RDR2 graphics. The XBOX version is by far the best and most coherently looking console game I've ever seen. On the PlayStation 4 seems blurry due to interlacing, but the visuals mostly look exactly the same as on the XBOX.

Last edited:
I am very surprised by RDR2 graphics. The XBOX version is by far the best and most coherently looking console game I've ever seen. On the PlayStation 4 seems blurry due to interlacing, but the visuals mostly look exactly the same as on the XBOX.

Ps4 and Xbox One S version are ok, PS4 Pro version is bad other game have much better solution for reconstruction... Xbox One X version is great...

I don't normally talk about Sony or PS, but wouldn't their money hat have a better effect on the look of the game on their platform? Now I'm curious as to how previous 3rd party games faired on their platform when they had a similar marketing presence?

Tommy McClain

Back