Console marketing nonsense *spawn

That was Bill Gates.
Yeah, the exact on the record quote, but that was the implied level of performance PS2 was hyped up as before launch. Sony's official statement was something like "CG movie quality" or "Movie quality" or something like that, and the press ran with it. So, I guess I'm waiting for my "movie quality" PS2 graphics along with the games that use whatever was "beyond polygons".

July 10, 1998:

"Graphics-chip vendors in Silicon Valley today are all doing the same thing; [they're] obsessed with the polygon race," said Ken Kutaragi, executive vice president and co-chief operating officer at Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (Tokyo), developer of the popular Playstation console. "Their R&D; goals are so near-sighted that they are only paying attention to gradual changes in graphics technologies that can be developed in lockstep with the short-term PC product-development cycle."

Sony Computer Entertainment and startup VM Labs independently claim that the graphics technologies used in their next-generation videogame platforms will go far beyond the polygon-based 3-D graphics technologies pursued by the PC industry today.

Sony's Kutaragi said that a Sony Computer Entertainment engineering team based in Tokyo is working on a whole new generation of real-time image-rendering technologies, from silicon to platform algorithms to software titles, for the next Playstation. "Today's videogame computer graphics look like computer graphics," he said. "Our goal is a filmlike graphics quality that won't make viewers conscious of or annoyed [by the fact] that they are indeed looking at computer graphics."

https://web.archive.org/web/20040101223927/http://www.eetimes.com/news/98/1017news/microsoft.html

January 6, 2001:

"One of the basic premises of the Xbox is to put the power in the hands of the artist," Blackley said, which is why Xbox developers "are achieving a level of visual detail you really get in 'Toy Story.'"

https://web.archive.org/web/2008083...ot-game-Xbox-unveiled/2100-1040_3-250632.html

https://web.archive.org/web/2006070...logy/0,1282,40970,00.html?tw=wn_story_related

Gates said the 3-D chips in the Xbox would be three times faster than anything on the market and offer nearly unlimited graphical visuals. "We're approaching the level of detail seen in Toy Story 2," he said, referring to the computer-generated kids film from Disney/Pixar.

It's funny to think Sony was talking about the industry just thinking about polygons, when everything about the PS2 was about pushing as many polys they possibly could, while it was Xbox and GC that invested more in texturing and shading, specially Xbox.
A thing about publicity that I like, is that whatever a product/companies message says, is often the most obvious and direct opposite of what it actually is. So if you want to not fall for bullshit, just listen to exactly what they are saying and just reverse it in the most direct and obvious way.

Yeah, the exact on the record quote, but that was the implied level of performance PS2 was hyped up as before launch. Sony's official statement was something like "CG movie quality" or "Movie quality" or something like that, and the press ran with it. So, I guess I'm waiting for my "movie quality" PS2 graphics along with the games that use whatever was "beyond polygons".
There was a total mix up of quotes. Some took out of context even the Kutaragi's vision for the future from the GSCube demonstration (like the "jacking into the matrix" quote).

Some times CG quality was used loosely and thus was open for interpretation. For example the PS2 tech demos although were a far cry from the CG quality from movies and the IQ was not high (resolution and aliasing), they exhibited quality that was approaching only what we were expecting from PS1 CG movies.
For the average joe those visuals were good enough to call them CG.

Final Fantasy 8 tech demo was a real time remake of the game's FMV.
Gran Turismo looked very close to the GT2 intro which actually used the PS1 assets.
The Ridge Racer mascot had a level of quality that was only seen in PS1 FMV's
Tekken's characters were better than Tekken 1 CG and close to Tekken 2's and Tekken 3's. It was just a few steps below but enough to claim "graphics close to what we have only seen in CG previously" meaning CG movies from games.
Who can blame the hyped up journalists and excited gamers? Those visuals were jaw dropping.

We were also young back then and Tekken Tag's, MGS2's and GT3's graphics were CG enough for us.
Hell even Sonic Adventure 1 was Toy Story enough for me back in 1998 when I first saw released images and footage.

Intentional or not, i dont think they minded the ultra hype the machine got. It was a big jump over PSX as tech moved fast back then, in no way was it 20 times (it was something like that) better then high end pc's at the time. Maybe at fillrate, which it needed as a multipass render setup.

Then the 128 bit crazyness, i still got the official sony brochure where they talk about emotions, feelings and next gen sound that wasnt possible before.
Sony really hyped that machine and i dont blame them for it, it generates more sales at launch.

MGS2 showed what ps2 was about, konami maxed the platform early. But impossible on pc hardware? Probally some effects if were talkning gf2.

GT3 looks like a psx game regarding the tracks at times, i think GT4 looks so much better.

But showing CGI killzone 2 demos and portraying it as ingame is just wrong.

It's funny to think Sony was talking about the industry just thinking about polygons, when everything about the PS2 was about pushing as many polys they possibly could, while it was Xbox and GC that invested more in texturing and shading, specially Xbox.
Here's a question - if PS2 was revisited with modern concepts like SDF (Dreams splats), how would it fair? Was it open enough and flexible enough to pull some of these ideas off in a Y2K version, or is it still bound to pushing polygons?

BTW what was the deal with NURBS back then?
Was NVidia's first pc gpu nurbs based?
The one that had Sega controller ports and a Sega tie in.
It's all a bit vague, would have to look it up.
I'm probably mixing up 3 different things

This is what i was thinking of the NVidia NV1
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NV1

Is nurbs different to quadratic texture mapping?

Last edited:
MGS2 showed what ps2 was about, konami maxed the platform early. But impossible on pc hardware? Probally some effects if were talkning gf2.
When it was first shown and even when it was first released there was no other game like it. That was a super huge system seller
GT3 looks like a psx game regarding the tracks at times, i think GT4 looks so much better.
Retrospectively it might not impress in some areas. But back in 2001 it looked perfect.
But showing CGI killzone 2 demos and portraying it as ingame is just wrong.
Yes that was stupid. They were not giving clear answers and suggested as such. Inexcusable

Retrospectively it might not impress in some areas.

Might be that since i played it first some weeks ago, im not into racing games at all. GT4 does look much better overall, and holds up quit well to the first Forza. Forza looks much better but it runs @30fps against GT4s 60.

MGS2 sure was a system seller, altough GTA3 probally takes that crown, graphically it was a mess but it was gta in 3d, and open world.
Not any gta on ps2 ran smooth btw? GTA3 lagged, so did vc, and sa is almost unplayable.

Might be that since i played it first some weeks ago, im not into racing games at all. GT4 does look much better overall, and holds up quit well to the first Forza. Forza looks much better but it runs @30fps against GT4s 60.
It's true that GT4 is a much improved game in many aspects. Lets stick to the subject of the "marketing nonsense" that exists primarily before and around the launch period though :)
GT3 was also a system seller. It was considered the most realistic racing to date at release. Some short few second TV spots of GT3 made jaws drop. They looked ultra realistic and before your brain could realise the graphical shortcomings of the game (due to the short length) you got a PS2 logo at the end. The replays were the most beautiful thing to ever grace a racing game.
If you consider the time frame every other racing game in 2001 looked hugely inferior.

MGS2 sure was a system seller, altough GTA3 probally takes that crown, graphically it was a mess but it was gta in 3d, and open world.
Not any gta on ps2 ran smooth btw? GTA3 lagged, so did vc, and sa is almost unplayable.
True. MGS2 was the game that showcased and "proved" PS2's ultra hyped tech in practice though.
It got everything. Facial expressions, realistic interactive soundtrack, dynamic shadows, advanced AI, ultra realistic water (including a tease of the duck demo) and weather effects, high polygon models,interactive world etc.
It basically took everything we saw in the tech demos and tried to prove them in a real game.

Back