Bring back split screen gaming! *spawn

Xbat

Veteran
This probably isn't the thread for this but here I go. I feel devs need to bring back splitscreen gaming in a big way next gen.

TVs being as big as they are now.

Was playing BLOPS 4 splitscreen on my TV and the halves were much bigger than my PC monitor. Also hopefully be able to have two separate audio streams. One for each user if you use headsets.

This probably isn't the thread for this but here I go. I feel devs need to bring back splitscreen gaming in a big way next gen.

Was playing BLOPS 4 splitscreen on my TV and the halves were much bigger than my PC monitor. Also hopefully be able to have two separate audio streams. One for each user if you use headsets.
Wrong thread for it, but yeah, it's ridiculous. We played Split Screen on a 320x256 PAL TV back in the day, so 160x128 pixels each, and had blast. 1080p offers a whole TV worth for each player. 4K offers an entire 1080p for each player! But it's not a console hardware thing. It's purely a design choice for devs and I guess in this age of online, they consider couch-coop a bit old-skool.

Wrong thread for it, but yeah, it's ridiculous. We played Split Screen on a 320x256 PAL TV back in the day, so 160x128 pixels each, and had blast. 1080p offers a whole TV worth for each player. 4K offers an entire 1080p for each player! But it's not a console hardware thing. It's purely a design choice for devs and I guess in this age of online, they consider couch-coop a bit old-skool.
Yeah, you can fit 16 SD resolution screens in a 4k display and still have spare pixels. there's more space in the screen than in the user's couch.

Remember when PS3 was supposed to launch with 2 HDMI outs for two screen gaming? I want that, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Yeah, you can fit 16 SD resolution screens in a 4k display and still have spare pixels. there's more space in the screen than in the user's couch.
Also, those original quarter-screens had zero antialisiaing and look ghastly. Modern AA means an SD screen's worth would look clean, sharp and clear. The other problem was the framerate would plummet. Crash Team Racing on a PS2 meant little detail in splitscreen and sub 30fps with shimmering pixels, but we still played it to death!

What about dimensions though? I don't imagine a 4k tv has 16 times the size of an old CRT.

We played split-screen on 14" CRTs. 21" wasn't uncommon as a larger set in the living room. At a 4:3 aspect ratio, that's a total of ~211 square inches for a 21" set, and 94 sq in for the 14" set. A 50" 16:9 TV is about 1065 sq in.

So on a 14" TV, each player of four had about 25 sq in.
On a 21" TV, each player of four had about 50 sq in.
On a 50" TV, each player of four will have 250 sq in. Each player of 16 would have 66 sq in.

So yeah, a 50" 4K TV would offer more screen estate and more resolution than a 21" TV, but it all depends on what size TVs you're comparing.

I used to love playing split-screen games with my friends, but who has the time to have friends over for gaming like that anymore? For me online, is what replaced that game mode.

I agree more games should have spit screen even if it comes at a cost to picture quality and frame rate! I was pretty disappointed when Halo 5 released without split screen. My girlfriend and I still play Halo Reach because we can play together in the same room.

I agree more games should have spit screen even if it comes at a cost to picture quality and frame rate! I was pretty disappointed when Halo 5 released without split screen. My girlfriend and I still play Halo Reach because we can play together in the same room.
yeah, my best childhood friend is going to live close to where I live "soon" and I have quite a few Xbox One games that I wished had proper split-screen coop.

Games like Monopoly are a good example of coop -though not split screen- 'cos you just need a single controller to play. I played it with my bf and it was pretty fun.

Does the new Mario Kart have split screen coop? The original was native split screen.

Motostorm released with the PS3 and was ridiculed for its lack of splitscreen. Both of its sequels remedied it.

Driveclub released not long after the PS4 released. It didn't have splitscreen, and people only complained about its broken online.

I love splitscreen, but I think the above illustrates a change in the landscape.

Motostorm released with the PS3 and was ridiculed for its lack of splitscreen. Both of its sequels remedied it.
I don't remember much in the way of complaints about lack of split screen. Lack of content and slow loading times were the chief criticisms.

I :love: Motorstorm. :yes:

I love Motorstorm Pacific Rift. They should've focused on turning Driveclub into its equivalent: patch in splitscreen, patch in 60fps, then start selling Motorstorm content packs.

They could've been the default PS4 racing game for this entire generation

there are some very good recommendations in this thread. I love to play those kind of games, be it with my best childhood friend, or with my 6 y.o. and 4 y.o. nephews:

Back