When videogames are pure art and when they're not...

when games AREN'T art, you get Forza Horizon crowd:

or Alloy, lack of charisma, imho:

Alloy.jpg

3079319-horizonzerodawn_e32016_aloy_village_1465873570.jpg

C5HG45NWEAA1ond.jpg

Last edited:
One would think this thread will be about video games, but instead we have a showcase of classical arts- images and music. Telling.
images are not an art,it's what an image contains what can be art

And I'll go ahead and say it. As good as MI1 and 2 writing is, the best dialogue is from Sam and Max. Good Lord is that thing brilliant. But the plot and arch of the story is weaker.

I would say Silent Hill 2 was also marvelous artistic work. The game's world was filled with symbolic meanings.
Everything represented something. The story was dark poetry.
One of the best games ever made. It wasn't just a game where you kill things.

So was ICO. The silence, the communication between the main characters, the sounds was poetry in motion.

I would say Silent Hill 2 was also marvelous artistic work. The game's world was filled with symbolic meanings.

So was ICO. The silence, the communication between the main characters, the sounds was poetry in motion.
love this post.
haven't played neither of those games in a long time, and by long time I mean ever. :/

That being said, Sam & Max art style reminds me of Larry Leisure Suit series. Btw, a new Larry game is on the works!

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/watch-a-...-suit-larry-and-see-if-it-gets-your-hopes-up/

Last edited:
Spiderman is not bad either (NPCs on boats) :

Dm-OheRXsAIejhB.jpg

But you're not supposed to go here to see them lol.
That's meme material...

Now I can't do it, but it could be the infamous meme about the dude with his girlfriend looking at another girl, like: the guy, the girlfriend with one of these faces, and the hot girl with the face of Spiderman.

Gotta say I hate these vector animations.
in the new Larry game, you mean?

They look like classic Larry to me. Love the series. Larry also had a strong female following. A female friend who was into me liked Larry games very much, for some reason. I thought only men would fancy them.

edit: since you mention vector animations, they might use SVG markup language to create those?

Last edited:
now, when the great Forza Horizon is art. :smile2:Some people make playlists based on the excellent Playground Games choices for FH's soundtrack. This is one of those songs that get stuck in your memory.

Those are what gave me some of the strongest emotional responses in games, so I'd definitely classify them as art.
Also REZ and Child of Eden, those were visual and aural pieces of art.

The song is nothing special on the whole, but I just can't have enough of that basson solo. The whole OST of that game is amazingly well produced. Everything just fits in a way nobody was able to reproduce onlater titles. Everything Michael Land and Peter McConnel touch, tends to be very tasteful.
Yeah, one of the best soundtracks ever in a game.

Skyrim's art looks kinda generic to me.
well, I don't totally agree. I say not totally, which means partially. The atmosphere and landscape of Skyrim is, imho, unbeaten, specially the representation of nature and the mountains, and more specifically the truly unique volumetric fog.

That being said, gotta admit that the artistic design can be imperfect, I am not a big fan of the dwemer levels, or the design of some weapons. But imho, nothing beats Skyrim, not even The Witcher 3 -though this one can get awfully close or even look better in some scenarios-.

Bethesda really need to ditch the Creation aka Gamebryo engine for Elder Scrolls 6, but they'll probably just re-use it and give it a new lick of paint.

Back