Have Sony abandoned PSVR? *spawn

VR is the new 3dtv. Psvr is in bargain bins everywhere and sony never supported it properly .

I'm 50/50 on whether they'll even attempt it as an option next gen. But if it is then yeah I suppose games with VR modes could potentially have 120fps modes, the headroom would be there.

All this talk of "VR" which is basically a camera viewpoint, and actually great tech like wiimote IR dies a quiet death and switch is left with shitty gyro.

VR is the new 3dtv. Psvr is in bargain bins everywhere and sony never supported it properly .
Sony actually have supported it properly. There have been new releases over the year including several 'must have' titles, to the point I'm genuinely interested in it now.

All this talk of "VR" which is basically a camera viewpoint, and actually great tech like wiimote IR dies a quiet death and switch is left with shitty gyro.
That's a very myopic understanding of what VR is. It goes beyond just a point-of-view and becomes a different psychological experience. To pull it off well requires far more than just running a first-person camera in a headset.

That's going OT though. VR is a peripheral and whether it is supported next-gen or not makes no difference to the hardware considerations. Again, as long as there's a high-framerate output, high framerate will be be optionally supported in some titles.

This thread is so desperately in need of some leaks!

@Shifty Geezer I have not seen much besides optional VR modes like in RE and gt sport.

Vr in its current form is exactly nothing but a window strapped to your head, and you still need a controller to play the games. It's the new fad right now just like wii motion (IR pointing was great) was. But since it has a high price tag you've got more tech geeks singing its praises vs. Wii.

Personally I have seen some PSVR in stores selling for $150 at least, maybe $100 at one walmart.

No, I have a PC and a 144hz monitor. It's one of those things that I assumed wasn't that big of a deal until I got one, and it was worlds better, even with games that I play with a controller. I'm not PC only, though. I have a One X and PS4pro, 360, PS3, and most of the older consoles. Saturn is my favorite, though, even if it's objectively a pretty poor piece of hardware with a mostly lackluster library.
Sega hardware is pretty much the only ones i've never owned. A lot of games look awesome on DC and Saturn but not enough to pick them up today, too many games as is.

I didn't even know sega existed back in the n64 days is why, I wish I did.

I see a wobbly camera and some platforming. I am not trying to be a cynic I swear but the vid pretty much affirms what I've seen about VR.

Thank you for including a textbook example of confirmation bias. People who have actually played it, on the other had, think the game is brilliant. And it's just the best in a series of high profile/well received PS VR exclusives this fall. Firewall is supposed to be excellent, and Sony has that Creed game in one of the new bundles.

@Shifty Geezer I have not seen much besides optional VR modes like in RE and gt sport.
But then you haven't been looking. How much effort is it to Google 'List of PSVR games'?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_VR_games

247 titles launched in North America since release.

I see a wobbly camera and some platforming. I am not trying to be a cynic I swear but the vid pretty much affirms what I've seen about VR.
Which is what all VR looks like from the outside. Now go look at the reviews.

It's 90 rated by both critics and users. Read the reviews.

Astro Bot Rescue Mission is not only the best PSVR title to date, but also arguably the best platformer of this generation so far.

Super Mario 64 showed us the possibilities of 3D platform gaming more than 20 years ago. Now, Astro Bot: Rescue Mission is finally here to do the same for VR

Astro Bot Rescue Mission is the best game for PlayStation VR to date. The levels are brilliant and the VR-experience is overwhelming. Everyone with a PS VR should buy this game.

Astro Bot Rescue Mission is a pretty wonderful platformer, but VR does something that lifts it to the heady realms of actual magic: it allows you to climb inside its world. As is often the case with third-person VR, something truly astonishing takes place when a character you control is no longer running back and forth across the screen, but is now running up and down and around the position where you are actually sat.

Monster Hunter World is rated 90 by critics, 78 by users. Spider-Man is rated 87 by critics, 88 by users. Yet you dismiss the game completely out of hand based on a prejudiced view of gameplay vid that cannot possibly convey the sense of presence that makes VR unique and special. It's like watching a trailer for the world's first colour broadcast on a black-and-white TV and concluding there's nothing special about colour.

Then there are other titles like Fireteam, Oblivion, and the upcoming Borderlands. The reason you haven't seen much is you haven't been looking, because VR doesn't interest you. Which is fine, but to then form opinions on the state of the product based on such a limited perception is ludicrous.

Vr in its current form is exactly nothing but a window strapped to your head, and you still need a controller to play the games. It's the new fad right now just like wii motion (IR pointing was great) was.
If you actually research VR, you'll realise that it's a game changer (though it doesn't work for some people) because of the psychological shift. VR can transport you into another space. It provides enough sensory input and movement correlation to fool your brain. It's as far ahead of TV as TV is from radio, yet you dismiss it as a window strapped to your head. There are also plenty of games that use the Move controllers or the Aim controller - evolutions of the Wii camera tracking you considered had been left to die a quiet death.

Personally I have seen some PSVR in stores selling for $150 at least, maybe $100 at one walmart.
Why rely on your localised personal anecdotes when there's a whole internet of information out there? PSVR is still priced full-price at retail, with the occasional bundle. Currently listed at an average of about $250 on the Walmart website (which seems Amazony). You seeing some stores moving old/B stock at budget prices is lousy data to form an opinion around.

Last edited:

I'm 50/50 on whether they'll even attempt it as an option next gen. But if it is then yeah I suppose games with VR modes could potentially have 120fps modes, the headroom would be there.

I disagree that it's the new 3DTV. Judging by anecdotal experience, people who saw 3D films mildly enjoyed the novelty, whereas people who experience VR are gobsmacked.

It's just untrue that it hasn't been properly supported, but that's already been addressed.

There's every chance that the frame interpolation tech from PSVR's external box will be integrated into the PS5. If they decide to pursue a wireless solution, it'll have the same requirements as Remote Play - changing resolution and bitrate, on the fly, in accordance with available bandwidth - so may be integrated into the PS5 too. If steps like those are taken, it all stands to make PSVR2 all the more accessible, as its cost of entry falls to that of some gyroscopes, lights, lenses, plastic, antennas, and a screen.

It's still fairly early days for VR gaming, and PSVR has done a good job of being affordable and high quality. Its PC counterparts are doing better on the latter point, and there's a standalone Oculus either coming or recently released.

VR hasn't exploded to the same degree it was hyped up, but that doesn't mean it can't be successful and continue to grow.

i don't know if you really tried it phoenix_chipset, but i have a good friend who used to think exactly like you, and very doubtful about VR.

Then he tried my PSVR, and now he's waiting for a good black friday deal to grab one.
of course there is a lot of room for improvement, it's far from perfect, but it's here now and will only get better with maturation.

PSVR2 is definitely coming, and it will be awesome, a day one buy from me for sure.

no "flat screen" game will ever bring this kind of reaction.

@Shifty Geezer
So yeah, people are frothing because it's shiny new toy and "psychological experience", sure sounds like fluff to me. Once again you don't actually gain ANY new inputs with VR, it's a viewpoint. 247 games with new camera work or optional motion controls we've had since Wii.

I certainly don't use others reviews on games to form my opinions, that's lame.

You think it's cool though dude? That's cool too.

To be direct... You sound like a virgin talking down about sex. You can't have an informed opinion until you experience it multiple times.

lol but i've not said anything incorrect.

Part of it for me is psychological, I don't want to be so detatched from my actual surroundings.

it's a new viewpoint, but a f**king sensationnal one, i could keep telling myself that was just a damn game, i felt physically endangered when playing RE7, and running away from the bad guy was some emotionnal sh*t that would have never felt as tense in 2D.

I could see that. Re7 was the main game I wanted to try.

K peeps i'll stop yelling at clouds enjoy your VR :p

VR is the future and ar is the even more distant future. Unfortunately future always is not today. Comments from the god of war and twisted metal dude below. My view is that vr is very early at the moment and much better solutions are needed to go real wide. But it's already so compelling that it is hard for me to believe vr would die, it might just be a long road before its completely mainstream. I really hope oculus quest would be the product that brings vr to masses(it ticks all the boxes, price, roomscale, well tracked hand controllers, standalone and no wires,... and it also has the limitations of today, not that powerful, field of view, battery life is question mark).

“Once you do it [room scale VR] you never want to go back, it’s f***ing amazing,” Jaffe says. “VR has its hooks in me so deep and so wonderfully, that if I could create the opportunity for myself to get back into games with VR, I would be all over it, that’s how transformative it can be if you have a good VR experience. The dream was always let’s make games in the holodeck, but we’re not gonna live long enough for that. Room-based VR at least makes you feel like it’s the future of interactive entertainment.”

“There was a sequence in that game [Resident Evil 7] where you’re out on the docks, the swamp, and there were no monsters around or anything like that,” Jaffe says. “And at that moment, in that part, I just said I’m gonna come out here, sit down on the dock, and be in that space. I’ll just listen to the f***ing frogs and watch the f***cking fireflies. That is one of my top ten game experiences of all-time, Resident Evil 7 on PSVR, it’s like I was there. To the point where I was saying I didn’t even need to go to a haunted house this year, this trumps that…the moment you put the VR headset on, it blew my f***ing mind.”
https://uploadvr.com/god-of-war-twisted-metal-david-jaffe-vr-horror/

Maybe sony will eventully end up doing a portable that is vr headset, similar to what quest is... Or perhaps it's nintendo or microsoft that does it. I suppose it might entirely depend on if oculus quest turns out to be success or not and if quest is seen as a portable console or not

Last edited:
VR is not here to replace traditionnal gaming, and it won't, or at least not for the next 10-20 years maybe.
And it's not for everyone, it can make people feel nauseous.
But if it gets the same evolution as videogames or mobile phone, i might become really big in the future.

@Shifty GeezerSo yeah, people are frothing because it's shiny new toy and "psychological experience", sure sounds like fluff to me. Once again you don't actually gain ANY new inputs with VR, it's a viewpoint.
You don't gain any new experience with colour TV versus black-and-white. You don't gain any more sounds with stereo versus mono, and you don't gain any more sounds with binaural spatial acoustics versus stereo. You don't gain any new input methods with 320x256 16 colour pixel graphics versus 1080p, and you don't gain any new inputs with HDR. Apparently according to you, Dual-Shock on the PS1 played on a black-and-white CRT with mono audio is the pinnacle of gaming and we haven't been able to progress beyond that.

I certainly don't use others reviews on games to form my opinions, that's lame.
Wot? You say PSVR has nothing worth playing. I present a list of reviews showing people enjoy many of these experiences, and your response is...stick your fingers in your ears and not care what other people think because you aren't interested??

It wasn't that long ago you were posting all mods share the same opinion on SSDs in the next-gen consoles and I never disagreed with BRiT. I presented evidence showing you were wrong on that matter which you acknowledged. Now you're making assertions like PSVR is the equivalent of 3D TV based on zero actual data. It seems your approach to life is to just form arbitrary opinions, not bother to get any facts straight informing those opinions, not bother to do research and not be particularly interested in other research others present.

Last edited:
VR is not here to replace traditionnal gaming, and it won't, or at least not for the next 10-20 years maybe.
And it's not for everyone, it can make people feel nauseous.
But if it gets the same evolution as videogames or mobile phone, i might become really big in the future.

If there was a good enough vr headset it could replace tv even for traditional gaming/desktop use. And yes, we are probably good tens of years away from that... And good AR is even further than vr.

Back