Graphical Comparisons: Don't go Chasing Waterfalls or Throwing Rocks at Cars *bifurcation*

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no sea in HZD...

Patched water :

To save ressources. It's obvious and i think they made the right choice since the water looks good enough to me. If you want to see real ugly water, play to God of War lol...

It usually means a lot more complex scripts and gameplay mechanics. Also, your engine has sometimes to deal with fancy cutscenes. And it's not a easy task. For instance, ROTR is native 4K on X, but not the cutscenes...

Water itself still isn't accurate and the reflections aren't improved at all. That's my biggest gripe with hzd water.

Also here's the sea you can view in hzd
RequiredBlondDeermouse-size_restricted.gif

There are type of games that are intrinsically less demanding : fighting games, racing games, sport games, etc.
Only if the devs choose for them to be. Any racer could be set in a city with people walking around if the devs wanted. Any fighter could be made in a photorealistic open-world environment if the devs wanted, where you use the terrain to your advantage. A particular game might be less demanding, but a genre itself isn't. eg. Look at Trine versus a conventionally styled 2D art platformer; just being a 2D side-scrolling platformer doesn't make it undemanding.

So this is the mythical single player experience they been hiding about, looks very last gen ish, in fact a few last gen games look better. The graphics style also seems to be in an identity crisis.

Game looks bad. REAL BAD.
Reboot!

I'm not too impressed considering Agents of Mayhem/Saints Row 4. At least SR4 had 80s/90s references up the wazoo to keep the inner child excited.

Terry Crews is a gem, but I'm not sure of the appeal of Crackdown at this point (story/setting-wise). Looks like it could be a fun romp for a little while, but even the first game got old for me rather quickly.

Last edited:
So this is the mythical single player experience they been hiding about, looks very last gen ish, in fact a few last gen games look better. The graphics style also seems to be in an identity crisis.
If you want to say it doesn't look good to you that's fine. Going this level of hyperbole is excessive. Last gen couldn't recreate the game world let alone the character select screens.

If anything you're touching on the lack of realistic PBR, which for this art style I'm not sure how that was going to work. This game is sharp and full of details, far draw distances and with a complex environment - coupled with fast traversal and destruction.

But ignoring that, the game doesn't have the modern touches that most new games try to emulate with narrative cameras.

No DoF, no chromatic aberration etc. All that stuff in which we associate modern great graphics as being a viewpoint from a camera is not here in this title. That might be throwing people off and yes, I'd agree that's what a lot of older titles were like as well but that should not be associated with being bad.

Last edited:
If you want to say it doesn't look good to you that's fine. Going this level of hyperbole is excessive. Last gen couldn't recreate the game world let alone the character select screens.

What are you seeing in the game world that the Arkham, Prototype and inFamous games weren't doing last gen?

The other obvious reference point is Borderlands which has a similar cel-shading and runs at 60 fps this gen on a port rather than a ground-up current-gen engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back