Graphical Comparisons: Don't go Chasing Waterfalls or Throwing Rocks at Cars *bifurcation*

Status
Not open for further replies.
FH4 doesn’t have any deserts which you’re showing of. PG put there polygons in a lot of things not only rocks. City’s, every leaf on the ground, water, etc. Take the ocean for example, there’s significantly more mesh density in FH4 ocean than in hzd water
You're missing the point, it can be any rock from any terrain. Another one for you.
59ae1398419bc12b3dd77870f66139b5.jpg

FH's rocks simply don't have the depth, geometry density, variety and shader complexity to match the real ones, HZD's rocks are actually much closer to the pic.
You just don't find something like this in Forza.
1490729522-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170328210220.png

lucas-bolt-team-brown-shadowcarja-03.jpg

The ones in Forza look like this flat, photoshopped 2d maps slapped on a low poly hillside.
qnI0chP.jpg

exJmi8X.jpg

Quite ugly if you ask me.

You're missing the point, it can be any rock from any terrain. Another one for you.
59ae1398419bc12b3dd77870f66139b5.jpg

FH's rocks simply don't have the depth, geometry density, variety and shader complexity to match the real ones, HZD's rocks are actually much closer to the pic.
You just don't find something like this in Forza.
1490729522-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170328210220.png

lucas-bolt-team-brown-shadowcarja-03.jpg

The ones in Forza look like this flat, photoshopped 2d maps slapped on a low poly hillside.
qnI0chP.jpg

exJmi8X.jpg

Quite ugly if you ask me.

The rocks I posted earlier show rocks just as densely mesh and texture. Not only that your first pic of hzd rock is very basic in poly count and that canyon I see very basic texture quality in the distance

Britain beach rocks
https://1drv.ms/u/s!An4lwoslKxpmjHwKbNFu-VwjzAAW

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An4lwoslKxpmjQD2ssfL9xPjeZW_

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An4lwoslKxpmjH59P9SvaL7DfCKI

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An4lwoslKxpmjH95cxDAiz2E6uvt

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An4lwoslKxpmjHUWSehGp2CxMRKT

The geometry is there in some of your shots, but the micro-details are lacking. I mean, it is obvious from your own shots :

zJa5G1V.png

vs

HRho8lV.jpg

Jd4hwf4.jpg

There's a constant feeling of relief, rugosity, granulosity in HZD. Like if there's "bump mapping" on every surface.

And more importantly, you find detailed rocks on massive structures and not only some isolated rocks :

mcV3n3d.jpg

Edit : lack of relief means lack of depth to me. But i'm not certain it makes sense in english (not my first language).

Last edited:
The rocks I posted earlier show rocks just as densely mesh and texture. Not only that your first pic of hzd rock is very basic in poly count and that canyon I see very basic texture quality in the distance

Britain beach rocks
https://1drv.ms/u/s!An4lwoslKxpmjHwKbNFu-VwjzAAW

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An4lwoslKxpmjQD2ssfL9xPjeZW_

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An4lwoslKxpmjH59P9SvaL7DfCKI

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An4lwoslKxpmjH95cxDAiz2E6uvt

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An4lwoslKxpmjHUWSehGp2CxMRKT
The rocks you shown doesn't have enough high frequency details nor the texel resolution and relief depth as proved by recop's comparison. Also this is how canyons usually look in real life at a distance.
plane-gc-opt.jpg

You seem to having trouble understanding the level of detail perceivable at a distance. HZD captures the geometry density of a natural form terrain even at a long and wide field of view while retaining the micro details at close examination.

I see highly detailed geometry but the textures look flat compared to HZD. And there're no reflections, shiny surfaces while we're in a wet environment.

Do you have the game? cause while you move the camera around when it rains it's shiny and reflects. Those rocks are in the sun and dry since water doesn't hit it that high up. Textures are in no way flat. They are just as detailed and all of your pics don't show anything else. Just different art assets but nothing to show FH4's is missing details as my shots show

The rocks you shown doesn't have enough high frequency details nor the texel resolution and relief depth as proved by recop's comparison. Also this is how canyons usually look in real life at a distance.
plane-gc-opt.jpg

You seem to having trouble understanding the level of detail perceivable at a distance. HZD captures the geometry density of a natural form terrain even at a long and wide field of view while retaining the micro details at close examination.

Again your shots show low poly and texture issues

BbHlIpn.png

higherARC just for once stop turning corners and and moving the goal post. Red circling the part in the distance would hardly prove anything. Let's do this fair and square shall we?
Here at relatively the same distance and similar size of the rock the detail is much more dense and high res in HZD.
1y1e9h.jpg

higherARC just for once stop turning corners and and moving the goal post. Red circling the part in the distance would hardly prove anything. Let's do this fair and square shall we?
Here at relatively the same distance and similar size of the rock the detail is much more dense and high res in HZD.
1y1e9h.jpg

FH4 rock is in direct sun while hzd is at a angle. This is what you call "bump mapping". Here is a rock in FH4 where the sun is at a angel and you can see the same "bump mapping" as you see there. What you see is nothing special and not that high res actually shown in hzd. And no they're not at the same distance

Not only that that image is 1080p png

10-13-2018_1-31-24_PM.png

Do you have the game? cause while you move the camera around when it rains it's shiny and reflects. Those rocks are in the sun and dry since water doesn't hit it that high up. Textures are in no way flat. They are just as detailed and all of your pics don't show anything else. Just different art assets but nothing to show FH4's is missing details as my shots show

No, i don't but we should definitely see some specular lighting here since some parts of the rock are literally in water in this pic :

zJa5G1V.png

Yet, everything looks dry. So they might apply those reflections much more partially than in HZD. You really see them only when it rains i guess and not in wet environment with sunny conditions.

Again your shots show low poly and texture issues

It's not really a texture issue since this part is too far from the player to see the details accurately.

And the poly count is not perfect in your shots as well :

g22isxa.jpg

Even outside the part in red, you see many sharp angles in that pic.

No, i don't but we should definitely see some specular lighting since some parts of the rock are literally in water in this pic :

zJa5G1V.png

Yet, everything look dry. So they might apply those reflections much more partially than in HZD. You really see them only when it rain i guess and not in wet environment with sunny conditions.

It's not really a texture issue since this part is too far from the player to see the details accurately.

And the poly count is not perfect in your shots as well :

g22isxa.jpg

Even outside the part in red, you see many sharp angles in that pic.

Yup and I see many sharp edges in hzd cliffs. I don't know if this conversation is going any where. I've shown FH4's textures are as high res and high poly as ones that can be found in hzd. FH4's rocks are using any same effect as others. If you had the game you would see when it rains rocks and all surfaces get reflective. I'm about to hit winter and I'll see how the snow and ice effects are on it as well. However each going for their own art style and type of environments. I really enjoy the level of detail seen in everything as well. Like water that is something look outstanding in FH4. Love the ocean rendering

FH4 rock is in direct sun while hzd is at a angle. This is what you call "bump mapping". Here is a rock in FH4 where the sun is at a angel and you can see the same "bump mapping" as you see there. What you see is nothing special and not that high res actually shown in hzd. And no they're not at the same distance

Not only that that image is 1080p png

10-13-2018_1-31-24_PM.png
Here, no angled sunlight and you still see very high detailed surface. High res means high res you know. Like I said, stop turning corners. And no matter how special or not this rock is, it's still much higher res than the Forza's, which is what I'm trying to prove anyway. You've seen the photo comparisons now, I don't think any more regurgitating is necessary.
jd4hwf4p7f3q.jpg

I've shown FH4's textures are as high res and high poly as ones that can be found in hzd. FH4's rocks are using any same effect as others.

I can't see your recent pictures, i can only see those with a link...

FH4 rock is in direct sun while hzd is at a angle. This is what you call "bump mapping".

No, you see these details without any angle too :

horizonzerodawn_20170pqurx.png

Here, no angled sunlight and you still see very high detailed surface. High res means high res you know. Like I said, stop turning corners. And no matter how special or not this rock is, it's still much higher res than the Forza's, which is what I'm trying to prove anyway. You've seen the photo comparisons now, I don't think any more regurgitating is necessary.
jd4hwf4p7f3q.jpg

And the pic I posted that you qouted is just as high res

And the pic I posted that you qouted is just as high res
You know even the Mod here has agreed the resolution is higher in HZD's and just like pretty much everyone else does too. Maybe it's time to admit it no:)?
Here's another, both in direct sun light. The difference is obvious.
15kiik.jpg

You know even the Mod here has agreed the resolution is higher in HZD's and just like pretty much everyone else does too. Maybe it's time to admit it no:)?
Here's another, both in direct sun light. The difference is obvious.
15kiik.jpg

First the FH4 shot is in overcast lighting. Secondly you can see in your hzd shot the sun is to the right as shading is cast on the left. Third that shot of FH4 is extremely shot in compression I recently found out. I have already shown extremely high res rocks in my recent posts with links and there's nothing you have shown to show otherwise than what I have said.

Enough about mostly stationary rocks... That is so last gen.

The modes of transportation in HZD are far less customizable than FH4. Customized horns is where its all at.

First the FH4 shot is in overcast lighting. Secondly you can see in your hzd shot the sun is to the right as shading is cast on the left. Third that shot of FH4 is extremely shot in compression I recently found out. I have already shown extremely high res rocks in my recent posts with links and there's nothing you have shown to show otherwise than what I have said.

Compression is not an excuse. I've posted severely compressed screenshots too and you still see the details.

DT_With_Without.png

Here's a example of what i'm seeing frome these comparisons. HZD rather looks like 1 and FH4 like 2.

More depth + better reflections/shiny surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back