Graphical Comparisons: Don't go Chasing Waterfalls or Throwing Rocks at Cars *bifurcation*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FH4 rock is partly under water which is why it's a bit faded from water texture over it

Here's some more rocks :) The camera is extremely close up too not meters away like a tps perspective
A bit better than the one you posted earlier but still lacking the variety, complexity and resolution of the day to day rock textures in ZD.
1488450517-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170302110116.png

dumb-2.jpg

1490379512-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170324144554.png

1490439720-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170325113359.png

1489437006-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170313205323.png

1490379514-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170324144908.png

More geometry, higher res textures, more parralax and more variety.

FH4 isn’t a fantasy world so there isnt going to be much variety in rock since it’s based in Britain. Show me cities in hzd ;) Even then I just showed textures are as high res. Again they’re using Xs memory to the fullest. You’re not going to make 8gb of ram perform like 12gb. Just doesn’t work like that

How did that wind up lol?

Lol, i wanted to quote higherARC. Fixed.

I don’t know what you’re looking for? That pic of rocks in FH4 is just as high res texture as the ones you posted.

It looks good, but the textures lack relief/shading on a closer inspection. Assets tend to look more flat in FH4. Also, the polygons are usually more visible in FH4 :

horizonzerodawn_20170pqurx.png

33209213281_4e3b8cf947_o.png

And it is especially visible with your mud pic :

DyEdvQm.png

vs

And since you said FH4 easily matches linear games, here's a similar pic from TLL :

1504193398-uncharted-tm-the-lost-legacy-20170831163335.png

And the textures on these games never have that photoshopped look that you can find in FH4. They seem like real assets created by the artists.

This pic is impressive, but the rocks at the bottom of the image don't have the same quality and look a bit fake... :

m0Hv0Kk.png

I think this pic highlight rather well what some members are saying in this thread. HZD is not perfect either but is more consistent.

jblaHKc.jpg

(X version)

A similar vista in HZD by comparison :

32822703124_fa2f641309_o.png

It looks good, but the textures lack relief/shading on a closer inspection. Assets tend to look more flat in FH4. Also, the polygons are usually more visible in FH4 :

DyEdvQm.png

vs

And since you said FH4 easily match linear games, here's a similar pic from TLL :

And the textures on these games never have that photoshopped look that you can find in FH4. They seem like real assets created by the artists.

This pic is impressive, but the rocks at the bottom of the image don't have the same quality and look a bit fake... :

m0Hv0Kk.png

I think this pic highlight rather well what some members are saying in this thread. HZD is not perfect either but is more consistent.

jblaHKc.jpg

(X version)

Textures in FH4 aren’t “photoshopped” idk how you get that. Every asset is created by artists. Again it’s a game based in reality not a fantasy setting. Your pics don’t show textures in FH4 being lower res. Only that different art to each. That UC shot of the rocks look not much better over the cliff shot in FH4. I can show lower res textures in hzd every game has it. There’s not much for cliffs in FH4 since it’s Britain

Other high res textures in FH4

zBomaDS.png

FrthfK9.png

Last edited:
FH4 isnt as open world as HZD is? Open world racing game perhaps, with a faster pace and fps?
Artistically HZD is better i think, more work put into the environments. Night-time in HZD is really special.

Also just cause One x has more memory doesnt mean it does output better textures, but it sure can.

Textures in FH4 aren’t “photoshopped” idk how you get that. Every asset is created by artists.

I got this impression from screenshots like these :

31014840738_562b63b2f2_o.png

It looks like a flat texture photo to me.

FH4 isn’t a fantasy world so there isnt going to be much variety in rock since it’s based in Britain. Show me cities in hzd ;) Even then I just showed textures are as high res. Again they’re using Xs memory to the fullest. You’re not going to make 8gb of ram perform like 12gb. Just doesn’t work like that

It is not only about memory... otherwise you would have better textures on a PS2 only with more memory than on PS4. You need GPU power to properly light and shade them.

Your pics don’t show textures in FH4 being lower res

It's not only about resolution... i see a lack of relief and shading in your shots. Textures in HZD have more asperities.

I can show lower res textures in hzd every game has it.

Sure, but some games are more consistent than others.

Edit : Malo yes.

Last edited:
I got this impression from screenshots like these :

31014840738_562b63b2f2_o.png

It looks like a flat texture photo to me.

It is not only about memory... otherwise you would have better textures on a PS2 only with more memory than on PS4. You need GPU power to properly light and shade them.

It's not only about resolution... i see a lack of relief and shading in your shots. Textures in HZD have more asperities.

Sure, but some games are more consistent than others.

The whole time I’m talking about resolution of the textures not what shaders used. This is why I think we’re both on the wrong page. FH4 has some amazing shaders too with snow espically. Also there’s 4 seasons so every on is completely different assets to each one. This makes it hard for me to get pics at any given moment for something lol

The whole time I’m talking about resolution of the textures not what shaders used.

I would say the overall aspect has more importance.

HorizonZeroDawn_20170319172346.png

FrthfK9.png

Even at 8K on PC, it will still lack the rendering complexity of HZD to me : lack of relief, asperities and shaders look less complex. It still looks good in both cases though.

Last edited:
Rocks no matter where they're from have endless amount of variation if you so much just zoom in on close inspection.
Here's some from Britain.
jackhillssandstone.jpg

It's how we render them that makes them look real. The X's 12gb along with more TFs (since more ram alone doesn't do squat if your shading power can't keep up) could potentially render a more realistic rock but it's hamstrung by the base hardware. After all devs don't want to cripple the base version so much it looks like a ps2 game in comparison.
Again by looking at comparisons pics here we can easily see the texel density is greater in HZD along with more depth and just more shaded in general as well.

Rocks no matter where they're from have endless amount of variation if you so much just zoom in on close inspection.
Here's some from Britain.
jackhillssandstone.jpg

It's how we render them that makes them look real. The X's 12gb along with more TFs (since more ram alone doesn't do squat if your shading power can't keep up) could potentially render a more realistic rock but it's hamstrung by the base hardware. After all devs don't want to cripple the base version so much it looks like a ps2 game in comparison.
Again by looking at comparisons pics here we can easily see the texel density is greater in HZD along with more depth and just more shaded in general as well.

FH4 doesn’t have any deserts which you’re showing of. PG put there polygons in a lot of things not only rocks. City’s, every leaf on the ground, water, etc. Take the ocean for example, there’s significantly more mesh density in FH4 ocean than in hzd water

Played spiderman today, impressive city at night, water reminds me of champions of norrath, the waves.
Npc's look amazing too, got beaten by a group of drug addicts, shadow and texture quality is rather nice. All on a Pro/4k tv.

I didn't notice I've been using imgur and the images are compressed to hell over what I see in my one drive uploads. Any idea how to upload images from one drive without compression. I just put links below on rocks I just found that are extremely poly heavy and textures as well. Again I see no jump in difference in rocks from hzd/uc

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An4lwoslKxpmjHwKbNFu-VwjzAAW

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An4lwoslKxpmjQD2ssfL9xPjeZW_

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An4lwoslKxpmjH59P9SvaL7DfCKI

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An4lwoslKxpmjH95cxDAiz2E6uvt

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An4lwoslKxpmjHUWSehGp2CxMRKT

10-13-2018_1-32-23_PM.png

y4pc9besr1lbS7bIO57MXZsQROMM6WETT0SoXp0v17Jo2TMiufe7CXhd6tK2ePloBn7b9dNBeGAW4zkyoCOU7LNe1vdY0KA837mGZRSCGXSKSVRerFOec-CjAXUVTYINhs7eHLRm6MpAilxXeJbwnAST4bcCeqt0LCHtbtLiGxJU0o_wrx-ZxV6sFaev2hDEbQJ

y4plk-qqfpbUHdj6-QpjQvzj4qSUDr40h7SI3H2Y8J6RfVUyEMF-p38suxE266mvrlAShmw8aJ_y3VghaLv9B8mQ5wYOy0ph3xT-26QsxMpm22xvx49lPFgsEh-EolfOWVPPltXe3G8kjIGRRIk1Zy-SG9BTsZmWD3D_sHcaZrAu9ZFD04E_6u4eQTXr5muvGUK

y4psymB5KdfwZRD2f5GgV_0bTTe1lfMC1qPvuOK_bJi58WBZ3dt3uJx2ahwrEhEHY2Tb2i4DPLDD9KxU03C_7xrfy9Dj9x9fdK2V9UWJriiijHl1j2EXCPAy7A_X8j4jSWBxc-DjO2655YH5JPZ9D2hljKXPgU0K5AK8TL4ZD-BnLoOLlebl0elpT51sb4jZriy

y4pzfEjFnVWQ3elTAcIVti_sWOxWT3T69agcbANnmzVtpWVqLaeNdlRV9bHuSx8uSiSoKGd0LkTZTv1RPRvS0tKEPpeJiHdOUELH6cwq3W26Fxxc3AnjvK_AkhwMAnnXUQlpXrltS5trcP6RAWd-bMx_N61HcebvICITsWVzO47dp_axlkWWwf-orwCWxz11iIB

y4pPPjOAI5hvZxJlOvSVkbnlQxuIDi2-RpV1quJDfxDB9VQvXnrebezzjFxY-yVM8_JGZqdETw8-IVdfK-74EBFeGRhfxtGCtfFkD1LDYWW43AFyD90KanGGQi25ylGcIbgf_ERiPA9vSvsopzSkR4vqpNq3faR1rYFIwsYYlTerWeOspFiyhmQrlT-QZm8BpMu

DyEdvQm.png

vs

And since you said FH4 easily matches linear games, here's a similar pic from TLL :

m0Hv0Kk.png

jblaHKc.jpg

(X version)

Mud in your comparison is one of dry mud vs wet mud. Also take into effect mud is deformable and not in hzd. I don't know why you still keep comparing completely different environments to each other. Cliffs in FH4 are not anywhere near like a canyon or cliff side mountains. No point in trying to compare the 2 that's just silly. I'm comparing stone rendering and FH4 isn't any less quality than what you see in your shots. I have many time find boulders and such in hzd that are very basic in nature. Same with your uc shot. You can see the textures put together in your shot seen below. Not much poly mostly bump mapping

wZRKDk8.png

1G5xWji.png

This is going to turn into a endless back and forth I can see. Both games excel in many areas. They both have completely different art and environments to be directly compared but anyone can see they push details top of the game in the industry. It will be fun though see PG's action adventure game then there could be a greater chance of comparing fantasy environments with each other ;)

I just put links below on rocks I just found that are extremely poly heavy and textures as well.

Yeah, the geometry is impressive in some of these shots, but the textures lack specular light especially in a wet environnement. They also lack relief and micro-details in my opinion.

Assets have better reactions to the light in HZD in my opinion. You can see shiny surfaces and reflections :

1489291391253.png

Horizon-Zero-Dawn%E2%84%A2_20170514042040.jpg

The Lost Legacy in a wet environnement :

uncharted_thelostlegajasxk.png

Mud in your comparison is one of dry mud vs wet mud.

Wet or not, there's a distinct lack of relief. The mud looks like a flat texture in your pic.

By the way, i can't see any of the pic you've posted.

Also, i think my tree comparison is a bit flawed because some varieties of tree simply look more smooth in real life :

Abies_grandis_bark.jpg

They don't look all like that :

depositphotos_90762920-stock-photo-elm-tree-bark-clear-close.jpg

Last edited:
Once I get back to spring season I can show more wet surfaces. Roads, dirt, rocks all get wet and shine under sun/moon light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back