Graphical Comparisons: Don't go Chasing Waterfalls or Throwing Rocks at Cars *bifurcation*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The buildings in the distance obviously wouldn't have the highest poly count compared to what's near you:rolleyes:, that's like engine optimization 101 and it apply to every game under the sun. But what I'm showing here is that the overall density, building quality are well above FH4's regardless. Have you even played Spiderman? The city scape is ridiculously dense.

Also your pictures pretty much proved my point that the asset quality in Forza is just not up to par, low res textures everywhere, low poly models, all designed to be skipped by quickly as you drive pass them at 100km.

FH4 looks better then HZD overall to most ppl, fh4 is a recent game though. Personally dont like racing games so wont play it much, played it in a store besides spiderman and thougt fh4 impressed more graphically running on the one x. But they are complete different games? Shouldnt fh4 be compared to gt sport, how does gt sport hold up there.
Who's most people? Link to the poll please?

Did they actually model the interiors in FH4? Thats pretty impressive.
I wonder how well the XBOX One version fairs.
FH4 in general was designed for the X as the lead platform the way I understand it. Whereas Spiderman was most likely developed for PS4 with Pro considerations.
The comparison is not fair. It also doesnt make much sense when we take into consideration that there are 2 different games with different targets, goals and gameplay mechanics.
Art is subject to game design and the hardware possibilities. Compromises and emphasis are made according to the game's needs.
It doesn't make much sense to compare the world density of Spider Man to FH4 and it doesn't make much sense to compare the landscape variety of FH4 to Spider Man

You can't fill up a racing game with npc cars etc... Or it will become unplayable.

Exactly, the game is done right from a gameplay perspective. Anyway, they still save ressources with a more lifeless world. Also, you could have NPCs in areas where you can't go but there're almost none in FH4. But it's not an issue to me, i prefere good performances and nice graphics.

I mean in a car game, you're here to drive and not to see NPCs. It would be a lot more problematic in a game like Spiderman. Different priorities.

The buildings in spiderman are very low detailed across the street.

Actually, they are quite detailed :

ccUc.jpg

marvelsspider-man_201q6c1y.png

44534916432_6075c411fa_o.png

29581196857_469f7b3da1_o.png

The windows especially look much more natural than in FH4 : they look opaque and lack transludity/reflections.

By the way, you posted some nice assets, but we're not quite at this level :

1490729522-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170328210220.png

1489437006-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170313205323.png

1488529618-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170303091137.png

Vs

zJa5G1V.png

But then again, HZD doesn't have to run at native 4K.

Last edited:
Exactly, the game is done right from a gameplay perspective. Anyway, they still save ressources with a more lifeless world. Also, you could have NPCs in areas where you can't go but there're almost none in FH4. But it's not an issue to me, i prefere good performances and nice graphics.

I mean in a car game, you're here to drive and not to see NPCs. It would be a lot more problematic in a game like Spiderman. Different priorities.

ccUc.jpg

marvelsspider-man_201q6c1y.png

44534916432_6075c411fa_o.png

29581196857_469f7b3da1_o.png

The windows especially look much more natural than in FH4 : they look opaque and lack transludity/reflections.

By the way, you posted some nice assets, but we're not quite at this level :

1490729522-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170328210220.png

1489437006-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170313205323.png

1488529618-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170303091137.png

Vs

zJa5G1V.png

But then again, HZD doesn't have to run at native 4K.

I don’t know what you’re looking for? That pic of rocks in FH4 is just as high res texture as the ones you posted. My pic is actually a few inches off ground as yours are in tps camera further away from them. Either way they’re just as high res. Even the rocks below are extremely high res no less than what you posted. Mesh wise the rocks are also heavily dense in polygons

FfgQeVa.jpg

I think it's pretty safe to say the HZD rock above looks higher res, you are straight up in denial to say they are the same in res.

I think it's pretty safe to say the HZD rock above looks higher res, you are straight up in denial to say they are the same in res.

Um no cause I see individual cracks in fh4 on the rocks that are microscopic. The rocks in the above pics not only are camera further away, but don't show any more detail than fh4. That fh4 pic is also inches away from camera and as you can see cracks and details are still micro level. Plain and simple

Um no cause I see individual cracks in fh4 on the rocks that are microscopic. The rocks in the above pics not only are camera further away, but don't show any more detail than fh4. That fh4 pic is also inches away from camera and as you can see cracks and details are still micro level. Plain and simple
Can you two please not just have a silly pissing contest? Point out the differences, if there are any. At a cursory glance, they both look like detailed rocks, but I see that the HZD image is far higher fidelity on the micro-details. Some details on the FH4 rock are notably sharper than others, suggesting additional high-res detail maps are being overlaid lower LOD textures.

SBS comparison for easy reference. 2x2 nearest-neighbour upscale.

Image1.jpg

The centre area of the FH rock is blurry, but the dark crack right-of-centre is sharp.

But I'm really not interested in doing this work for you. If you want a proper debate with proper comparisons, make them, instead of just throwing up endless screenshots and expecting the other guy to fathom what you're getting at. .

The FH4 rock is partly under water which is why it's a bit faded from water texture over it

Here's some more rocks :) The camera is extremely close up too not meters away like a tps perspective

FNbrE10.png

xQP8by0.png

m0Hv0Kk.png

Mud
DyEdvQm.png

Last edited:
Shadow of the colossus is an insanely detailed game with great TAA, definitely up there with any other game on the market.

And it runs at 60fps on pro if you choose!

King of rocks indeed at least on open world games :p

Last edited:
Right, but i think we can safely say it's not the case for well renowned developers such as Insomniac, especially in a big budget AAA exclusive game.

And the truth is that unless you're a very bad developer, you won't achieve less with a hardware with a substantial power advantage... and third party developers are here to confirm my point.
Yet here we are in a spirited debate about Spider-Man and FH4 being interchangeable as best looking game.

Where the **** did i wrote this?

vipa899 said:
The buildings in spiderman are very low detailed across the street.

How did that wind up lol?

Who's most people? Link to the poll please?

Friends and familj, at the store there also was a One X running FH4 and a Pro running Spiderman, FH4 just seemed more spectacular, its fast and lots of things going on, and after every race a shift in season. Seemed to impress ppl more then Spiderman just showing a big city for the most.
Running a poll here would be pointless as most here are on the Sony side of things, including myself if its between Xbox and PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back