Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes me wonder if there's so much hampering in designs due to licences and their expenses.

Maybe Sony could be facing an issue with PSN name change due to patents and licences.

Anyway, with the insane prices of RAM and VRAM coupled with inflation and tariffs, is it more plausible to have 8GB GDDR6/HBM3 + 8 GB DDR4 for a $ 399 console rather than my previously mentioned 12 GB VRAM / 4GB RAM specially if it were to release sooner?
My general understanding is that it’s due to the fact that it’s not running the same hardware from when the game released so the title will be considered a re-ship. Thus you need the publisher to confirm that the newly released title is up to their spec and require their sign off. Having said that, they need to sign off on it even if the port looks great. And depending on what licenses the publisher signed, say music, they can’t sign until they relicense the music since this is a re-ship.

It also means The platform holder if they decide to release an older game without higher settings, like the way X1X does enhanced BC, that needs to be signed off on as well.

If PS5 has a PS4 chip on it, they can move forward and just have BC without licensing issues.

And that’s the reason why BC on Xbox has been a slow trickle. And that’s also a reason why I feel if people are expecting their PS4 games to be 4K enhanced on PS5... they should expect to go through a similar process as MS did this gen.

What’s interesting is how learning from all of this MS changed the contracts for Xbox One titles (citation missing). So I’m not sure how that will work for them next gen.

While I’m confident there will be BC for Xbox 2. I’m not confident enough to say that it will be like the whole library is BC as soon as the hardware arrives. I don’t know if MS solved that problem.

Surely that's only for newly bought games? Disc-based BC shouldn't have any licensing issues - the license comes with the disc and is a license to use that data, not on which hardware that data is accessed on. You can also get improved quality without having to remaster aspects as shown by PC emulators improving resolution and filtering. There's nothing stopping Sony enabling direct disc-in-drive (and ripped to HDD, with the disc as a physical unlock key) BC for any of its platforms, nor any other company providing BC for physical copies.

Except for the entire technical means of having the emulator run well.

If they dont do the repackaging approach then the licensing headaches go away, but then the emulator needs to be able to do static binary recompilation, cacheing and all those technical feats at runtime when first loading the game. That may be even longer than the PS3 took when installing to HDD and then loading the trophies and the like, could easily take 30 minutes or more trying to do all this on those poor Jaguar cores.

Surely that's only for newly bought games? Disc-based BC shouldn't have any licensing issues - the license comes with the disc and is a license to use that data, not on which hardware that data is accessed on. You can also get improved quality without having to remaster aspects as shown by PC emulators improving resolution and filtering. There's nothing stopping Sony enabling direct disc-in-drive (and ripped to HDD, with the disc as a physical unlock key) BC for any of its platforms, nor any other company providing BC for physical copies.
I think it depends. If it’s just the same package then it’s not an issue. PS5 runs PS4 titles at PS4 settings. Then no problemo. Provided it doesn’t run like arse. I’m assuming sign off is still required.

PS5 running higher settings and changes is not what was shipped and depending on the language of the contract could require a re/ship.

On Xbox One, the disc is just a mechanism to check ownership. The title is downloaded from the inter webs and the DVD installs nothing.

Last edited:
For X360 BC?

For both X360 and Original Xbox BC. Nothing runs off the physical media. It downloads the package to run from the internet. This has all been talked about and discussed in the Xbox emulation thread.

With Microsoft announcing the Xcloud I don't think there will be anything fancy in the streaming box they will sell. Considering it will run on a phone, so it will probably be quite cheap.

I have a 50/mbit fiber connection for $30/ month. (Really quire poor $ wise.) I have the option of going to Google Fiber. I have been putting off building a new PC for awhile now. You would think I would be an excellent potential customer for cloud gaming services. Off the top of my head, I do not know what they could offer to entice me into their service.

I have a 50/mbit fiber connection for $30/ month. (Really quire poor $ wise.) I have the option of going to Google Fiber. I have been putting off building a new PC for awhile now. You would think I would be an excellent potential customer for cloud gaming services. Off the top of my head, I do not know what they could offer to entice me into their service.

It all comes down to how far away you are from the servers. You could have a gigabit line and it won't mean jack sh*t if you getting 100 ms latency. I say 20 ms latency to the server should be fine and definitely will be the case for lots of people in America and Europe and even me in South Africa because Microsoft are building Azure servers here. :) Problem for me though is my data cap :(

It all comes down to how far away you are from the servers. You could have a gigabit line and it won't mean jack sh*t if you getting 100 ms latency. I say 20 ms latency to the server should be fine and definitely will be the case for lots of people in America and Europe and even me in South Africa because Microsoft are building Azure servers here. :) Problem for me though is my data cap :(

An interesting metric would be the average gaming time on a game and thus bandwidth used if that was streamed Vs download size of the game assuming digital distribution.

Then how that might change if the gaming and downloads were part of a subscription such as game pass.

I wonder if in new ownership(sic) models streaming is better for people with data caps.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-record-to-say-its-working-on-a-ps4-successor

In an interview with the financial times, Sony CEO talked for the first time about next generation hardware.

At this point, what I can say is it’s necessary to have a next-generation hardware,” said Kenichiro Yoshida, in an interview with the Financial Times. He declined to formally name Sony’s future console the “PlayStation 5”.

There have been industry rumours that Sony might be planning a tablet that would connect to multiple devices as online streaming of games becomes more widespread and the company seeks to derive ever greater synergies between its games and movie divisions.

Sony has also been slow to embrace the surging potential for esports, a market based around a global audience estimated at 167m that watch online streams of professionals playing games at the highest level.

Industry analysts believe that Sony will be keen to rectify that through its next console, by ensuring that its machines are deemed powerful enough to host top level esport events.

Sony Interactive Entertainment, the division responsible for PlayStation, said it was considering various options to strengthen its position in esports, which it sees as an effective way to encourage users to play a game for a longer period of time and to enhance the social role of games.

People in the games publishing industry with knowledge of Sony’s plans for a future console said that early indications were that it might not represent a major departure from the PS4, and that the fundamental architecture would be similar.

Wow. He said there will be a Playstation successor. Somewhere in the future.
How surprising.
Much novelty.
Wow.

They always dismiss the talk before it is the first time he talk openly about a next generation hardware. It will probably be sooner than later... And now it is an official subject not something taboo or too far into the future to thnik about it now.

Given the financial projections and omissions of fiscal year projections, PS5 is either 2019 or 2020. (Unless some drastic worldwide financial meltdown occurs).

PS4 Pro leaked at GDC. If PS5 is for 2019, It will be either announced by GDC of next year or it will completely leak by then. If there's nothing, then I think we can safely guess it's a 2020 product.

Going with another x86 AMD solution, I think that makes the transition for developers easier so I think lead times for PS5 games can be on the same order as initial PS4Pro games. I think most third party games will be cross-gen so PS5 can look like yet another higher spec'ed PS4 for launch games (better effects and higher framerates). First party will showcase the PS5 capability.

Given the financial projections and omissions of fiscal year projections, PS5 is either 2019 or 2020. (Unless some drastic worldwide financial meltdown occurs).

PS4 Pro leaked at GDC. If PS5 is for 2019, It will be either announced by GDC of next year or it will completely leak by then. If there's nothing, then I think we can safely guess it's a 2020 product.

Going with another x86 AMD solution, I think that makes the transition for developers easier so I think lead times for PS5 games can be on the same order as initial PS4Pro games. I think most third party games will be cross-gen so PS5 can look like yet another higher spec'ed PS4 for launch games (better effects and higher framerates). First party will showcase the PS5 capability.

If the PS5 launch end of 2019, first party game will be cross gen....

I think Sony will have at least 1 or 2 exclusives for next gen to show off the capabilities (as much as a launch title can)

Financial Times has also mentioned a rumor of a Playstation tablet:
"There have been industry rumours that Sony might be planning a tablet that would connect to multiple devices as online streaming of games becomes more widespread and the company seeks to derive ever greater synergies between its games and movie divisions."

So, miniaturized PS4 in a portable form factor [7nm APU, full PS4 speed in docked mode, reduced PS4 speed in handheld mode] or regular android tablet with support for Sony's new multimedia projects.

Advanced remote play [flawless like that from WiiU, this time with dedicated wireless hardware [PS4 [badly] shares its single WiFi chip between RP and the internet connection]], or native game rendering?

Last edited:
I think Sony will have at least 1 or 2 exclusives for next gen to show off the capabilities (as much as a launch title can)

If we're looking at launch, maybe Horizon Zero Dawn II and something from Sucker Punch? And of course, 7-9 titles from third-party developers supporting PS5 specs.

But more than likely cross-gen titles like Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, and The Last of Us 2... or prior first-party titles (if, backwards compatibility is a thing with PS5) like God of War, Detroit, HZD, and Spider-Man, could receive nice updates/patches on supporting higher resolutions, textures and/or higher framerates, on keeping gamers busy until full-fledged first-party PS5 games become available.

Financial Times has also mentioned a rumor of a Playstation tablet:
"There have been industry rumours that Sony might be planning a tablet that would connect to multiple devices as online streaming of games becomes more widespread and the company seeks to derive ever greater synergies between its games and movie divisions."

So, miniaturized PS4 in a portable form factor [7nm APU, full PS4 speed in docked mode, reduced PS4 speed in handheld mode] or regular android tablet with support for Sony's new multimedia projects.

Advanced remote play [flawless like that from WiiU, this time with dedicated wireless hardware [PS4 [badly] shares its single WiFi chip between RP and the internet connection]], or native game rendering?
They’ll have a hard time with memory bandwidth for a minituarized PS4. I think they’d have to convert to WideIO to try and maintain the GDDR5 bandwidth.

Wait. Sorry it’s hard to keep up. Now we’re back to a release prediction of 2019? That’s like the day after tomorrow. Too early! Get a Pro, enjoy the stupidly amazing games that are still coming out. Why so soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back