Windows 10 [2018]

Master volume level no longer affects Bluetooth with 1803. :( You only get 0 or 100%. Intel 7265 BT and a Vizio soundbar. BT driver changes have no effect.

Looks like they didn't test their new BT functionality very well.

And this is after an in place upgrade install too. Originally, after the 1803 WU, there was an unknown device in device manager. This was some MS BT driver (BTH\MS_BTHL2CAP) that wasn't installing correctly. An in place upgrade install solved this but the volume still doesn't work.

Last edited:
heads up, windows key & tab now has a history function which is nice.
Seems like everytime in the last month the PC starts up/shuts down Windows is updating, though I did get a BSOD 2 days ago, been months since I'ld seen one of those

Master List of Windows 10 "phone home" connections
Microsoft was criticized by government agencies in various countries such as France or the Netherlands for privacy issues, and a rising arsenal of privacy tools for Windows 10 promised users protection against the data hunger of Microsoft.

One option that Windows users and administrators have is to block endpoints so that connections can't be established. The method requires extensive testing as critical functionality may become unavailable when connections are blocked.
Microsoft released a master list of Windows Endpoints for non-Enterprise and for Enterprise editions of Windows recently. The non-Enterprise listing is available for Windows 10 version 1709 and 1803, the Enterprise-specific listing for Windows 10 version 1709.

Tip: Check out my side-project Privacy Amp for detailed lists and other privacy related topics.

Without further ado, here are the connection endpoints of Windows 10 version 1803 (non-Enterprise).
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/08/03/master-list-of-windows-10-phone-home-connections/

Did you guys know there is a Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (long-term support branch) without the Store, Edge, Cortana, etc? I ran into it on a tablet that I bought on eBay. I don't remember the build version but it's a couple years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions

I wouldn't really want it because I use the store, Edge and some apps, but that's an interesting concession for big customers.

Found out that FIle History has been silently refusing to make back-ups for > 1 month. wtg... Also manually backing-up silently fails too (it fools you 1-2 mins that it's backing up and then just stops)

Was it not 1-2 updates ago that they had that fancy timeline feature, powered by file history too?

October update is out
Long list of changes/features I'll never use https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...t-whats-new-in-windows-and-office-in-october/

Troubling for me is they removed the Hardware Troubleshooter.
Maybe OK if the drive disappearing/GPU issues I've had are fixed I guess.
Well, the Snipping Tool update sounds good, because it is one of the programs that I use the most.

The program I’ve fallen in love with is Paint 3D though. Sooooooo useful and powerful, yet so easy to use.

I haven’t a download link nor the Settings app shows the update for me yet..

Ugh so my disappearing HDD has recurred & presumably the only way I'm going to be able to fix it is a reboot vs previously I've been able to run the Hardware Troubleshooter & it gets rediscovered.
WTF MS? :runaway:

Edit: Scan for Hardware changes in Device Manager found the drive & is probably what the Hardware Troubleshooter was doing in the first place.

Also Sleep is broken for me, goes to sleep as normal but fails to restore, blank screen for several mins then reboots.
Hibernate worked though.
Might be a Radeon driver issue? Not sure if I used Sleep with latest drivers before the Windows upgrade.

I haven’t a download link nor the Settings app shows the update for me yet..
I just happened to do a manual update check & it started downloading for me *shrug*

Last edited:
Has anyone looked into the new DXR stuff that came with this update? I don't know if there's much we can do/look, either, though.

They stagger the rollout. You'll be served the update eventually.
hopefully, that's going to happen soon. I started fiddling with some tweaking software like EZ GAme Booster and for some odd reason Windows refuses to play videos and sound with Windows Media Player, on Edge, or any program for that matter.

Only external browsers or VLC work, but Groove or Windows Media Player -my favourite- don't play a simple MP3 file, not to mention video..

for those wanting to mannually update Windows 10. I am downloading it to test what I messed around when I changed some settings so multimedia plays normally again.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

For those wanting to keep the OS totally fit and fast, Tron is the best program -a friend of mine uses it at work with good results-. This app takes a loooooong while -7 to 9 hours, or more, depending on the number of files you have-, but check what it does and it might be worth it.

One of the issues it fixed for me is that I couldn't override the special administrator priviledges of a scheduled task -UpdateOrchestrator, special Windows native utility so your admin rights don't work with it- which powered the laptop on whenver it wanted even if it was just hibernating.

That wouldn't be much of an issue if it returned to the hibernated state after a while, but it didn't. I tried the most obscure online tips to fix the issue but to no avail. However, this worked.

That drove me nuts because apart from the fact that the computer got unnecessarily hot when it returned from hibernation because the lid was closed, if the laptop is running on battery you drain the battery without realizing it, so I had to turn the laptop off any time I carried the laptop with me or wasn't at home for a while..., bah. so I can tell you how happy I am.

does anyone tried the new Windows 10 October update already? They added DTS: X support for sound on headphones.

However the name DTX:X disappeared and there is a new option called DTS Sound Unbound, but it doesn't install when clicking on it, it goes to the Store, but it gives an error saying the item doesn't exist.

Yep, let's just never use that Semi-Anual Targeted update channel.
The QA gates of MS in the Windows 10 era are just ridiculous all over

The QA gates of MS in the Windows 10 era are just ridiculous all over

I disagree. They're no worse than before. The reason for any bugs slipping in are because of the vast diversity they need to support in the PC eco-system. It's substantially easier to producer higher quality software when you only support 3 to 5 standard configurations.

I stay away from a new Windows 10 version for at least six months to a year. I don't want to beta test.
quite reasonable, I might say but I had broken some things while experimenting and the new version fixed those issues. I've been lucky though, it seems.
Wise words Bludd
Microsoft pulls Windows 10 October 2018 Update after reports of mass file deletion
https://www.pcworld.com/article/331...ows-10-october-2018-update-file-deletion.html
gosh, how is that even possible? For those interested, you might find it on a torrent.

October Update version 1809 looks the most stable Windows 10 version so far. No stupid Start Menu/Taskbar freezes or Microsoft Edge hangs and slowdowns, or Photos exiting arbitrarily trying to open several image windows.

If only they could stop dumbifying the user interface with stupid finger touch-oriented UI controls that look like a static web page from the year 1998... but thankfully, console windows are vastly improved to support command line Windows Subsystem for Linux.

Back