Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

I'm really surprised by DSoup's impression. Origins has so much atmosphere and you really get an impression about that age/culture with greek/roman/native populations. It will be really hard to reach that level in Greek.

I'm really surprised by DSoup's impression. Origins has so much atmosphere and you really get an impression about that age/culture with greek/roman/native populations. It will be really hard to reach that level in Greek.

What can I say, it just doesn't appeal. It's looks stunning but ancient Egypt just doesn't do it for me whereas ancient Greece does. Why? No idea. Syndicate didn't appeal either. Unity I loved.

Listened to a bunch of glowing podcast reviews on a slow Friday work morning then bought it off PSN digitally having it auto-download to my PS4 for when I got home. I'm about 60-90 minutes in and I'm absolutely hooked already. I love the setting and I like the RPG-ification of Assassin's Creed having skipped out on Origins.

Playing as Kassandra. The combat is so much better than Unity and Black Flag and I loved both of those games. The question is will I get anywhere close to finishing it before Red Dead Redemption 2 releases. Three weeks. Hmmm. :-|

Seeing a lot of negativity with the huge grind Ubisoft have implemented with levelling opponents so they can sell you time savers. And the microtransaction store looks just crazy.

Seeing a lot of negativity with the huge grind Ubisoft have implemented with levelling opponents so they can sell you time savers. And the microtransaction store looks just crazy.

Yeah apparently the progression is tuned for the xp booster you need to buy else its a slog.

I'm early in the game (level 6) but thus far have found no need to grind.

There were similar criticisms about Shadow of War with some reviews saying it was necessary to buy captions to progress but I never found that to be the case. Both games are pretty long with level-gated campaign missions and reviewers are on a tight schedule and probably not exploring or doing side missions as much somebody playing organically.

In open world games like this I tend to weave between the main campaign and side missions depending on how I feel, although any promise of cool treasure or loot will definitely lure me to a side quest so hopefully I'll naturally be around the right level as I do want to progress through the main campaign. I found in the Witcher I levelled too quickly and quests quickly dropped below the level that they would return good (or any) XP points for completion and gear rewards were worthless. If I suddenly find myself having to grind XP through side quests in order to tackle campaign missions, I'll post and say what level.

Right now I'm levelling faster than I need to progress campaign missions because I'm exploring and getting into scraps with enemies as I learn my abilities and skills. Spartan Kicking somebody off a high point never gets old. :yes:

Yeah I didn't have to grind either so far, but I explore a lot do side quests so maybe that's it. Love this game so far, might end up being my favorite AC.

Yeah I didn't have to grind either so far, but I explore a lot do side quests so maybe that's it. Love this game so far, might end up being my favorite AC.

Ditto. I really enjoyed the first island and left it a few hours ago and I'm now enjoying the second place that the game directs you too, which I'm equally enjoying. I'm not rushing, just doing things that take my fancy at any particular time. A couple of times I've managed to agro an area and been killed by a bunch of chickens which feels very weird indeed :yep2:

Having skipped Origins I must say how much I like to the RPG-turn Ubisoft have taken. It's clearly RPG-lite but it feels like an RPG. I'm also really liking the voice work playing as Kassandra as a stealth archer. I hope to find time to replay as Alexios as a full on warrior/tank build.

assassinscreedodysseyw1df1.jpg

Thunderstorms in the sea with those volumetric clouds look very impressive :)

I realised that I've played 64 hours of this and I'm only up to level 37. I really like it, obviously. Very relaxed gaming and the setting is lovely. The boats bit aren't too bad at all either.

I've no idea what I'm supposed to do with the whole power struggle part of the game but don't really care. Virtual sight seeing and kicking people off cliffs keeps me amused.

Last edited:
Back