Fable style game by Playground Games *Rumors and Discussion*

Scott_Arm

Legend
They are supposedly making the new Fable, right? Makes a lot of sense looking at how far they've come along with this open-world.

They are supposedly making the new Fable, right? Makes a lot of sense looking at how far they've come along with this open-world.
Yup. But unlike Forza which uses the Forza Tech engine the new Fable will be using UE4 (thankfully MS's 1st party studios have developed a pretty robust internal branch of it used in Sea Of thieves & Gears in addition to the ones used by Ninja Theory and Compulsion Games which will surely merge with the main one)

Yup. But unlike Forza which uses the Forza Tech engine the new Fable will be using UE4 (thankfully MS's 1st party studios have developed a pretty robust internal branch of it used in Sea Of thieves & Gears in addition to the ones used by Ninja Theory and Compulsion Games which will surely merge with the main one)

Unreal Engine would be the worst choice. I like it, but it's not known for making great open-world games.

Looking at these vids, it seems like they can get the kind of micro-detail they'd need out of their own engine to turn it into something for Fable. I know there's a lot they'd have to build on top for interactivity, scripting, animation, but it just seems odd that they'd pick a studio known for an open-world game and then have them put their own tech aside and switch to UE.

Unreal Engine would be the worst choice. I like it, but it's not known for making great open-world games.

Looking at these vids, it seems like they can get the kind of micro-detail they'd need out of their own engine to turn it into something for Fable. I know there's a lot they'd have to build on top for interactivity, scripting, animation, but it just seems odd that they'd pick a studio known for an open-world game and then have them put their own tech aside and switch to UE.
Well all of their 1st party studio besides Turn10 (and them for Horizon..) and 343i are using UE4 (forgot Undead Labs which also used it for State of Decay 2..) so it's a logical technical choice IMO.

What's more time-consuming? To build new scripting, animation, physics code and tools from the ground up, or port their already written rendering engine into UE4?

switching engines can be super painful. IE Mass Effect switching to frost bite. a lot of Ubisoft games do not switch engines even though they have newer ones. It is cheaper and more cost effective for them to upgrade their aging engines while building content for their games than to fight the tools and have their content pipeline stall.

In this particular case (new Fable) PG isn't "switching" engine given that it's a brand new game which isn't even a racing game developed by a brand new team (only a hand full of the Horizon producers and leads are going to oversee it while 90% of the rest have been newly hired in the past 18 months)..using UE4 is a no brainer given that all of Microsoft's other's 1st party studios (besides 343i & Turn10) are also using it....But this discussion is totally OT for this thread..

We know it's an open world RPG, I forget why we assumed it was Fable. But I empathize with DrJay24's comments here. PG has shown themselves to be really talented, they could get away with their own IP should they wish to - they've built more than enough credibility.

If it is Fable, I hope they are allowed to develop as they choose. I'm not a fan of the Fable whimsical art style and cheeky dialog, especially when this studio has shown it can do realistic styles. They already have the Sea of Thieves guys who do whimsical styles.

If it is Fable, I hope they are allowed to develop as they choose. I'm not a fan of the Fable whimsical art style and cheeky dialog, especially when this studio has shown it can do realistic styles. They already have the Sea of Thieves guys who do whimsical styles.

If it's not whimsical it's not Fable. It's one of the things that makes Fable different from the Witcher or any other fantasy rpg.

If it's not whimsical it's not Fable. It's one of the things that makes Fable different from the Witcher or any other fantasy rpg.
Yeah I know. I think Xbox could use a more realistic fantasy adventure game like God of War/Horizon/AC/Witcher but if PG makes a Fable game, I guess that'll fall on another group.

Back