Minecraft, Rocket League, Fortnite, etc CrossPlay on every Platform but Sony because...

If Sony are that confident, why hold their players to ransom? They think that their fanbase is going to buy a rival machine unless they have to get PS to play with PS? As if the exclusives, services, etc. are in fact crap and everyone wants to quit PS but they have to stay there because their friends are there and they can't game with them on any other machine?

If Sony are that confident, why hold their players to ransom? They think that their fanbase is going to buy a rival machine unless they have to get PS to play with PS? As if the exclusives, services, etc. are in fact crap and everyone wants to quit PS but they have to stay there because their friends are there and they can't game with them on any other machine?

I think they must have cross play with Switch and be clear and told Xbox is a competitor, a very interesting stat in US

https://www.resetera.com/threads/np...tch-owners-also-owned-a-ps4-and-or-xb1.66884/

70% of Switch user have a PS4 and an Xbox One.

Last edited:
Bitching for the win!!!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-cross-play-with-nintendo-switch-and-xbox-one
PlayStation is knocking down the wall blocking off PS4 from cross-play with rival consoles. It all begins today, with a cross-platform beta for Fortnite.

After significant pressure from fans and the gaming industry at large, PS4 owners will be able to play with people on Nintendo Switch and Xbox One.
To those who said they didn't see the point in complaining, this is why. Complaining gets results!

Last edited:
Or they're testing the waters with Fortnite to see what effect cross platform play has on revenue. It gives them at least a year to decide whether to launch the PS5 with cross platform play.

Or they're testing the waters with Fortnite to see what effect cross platform play has on revenue. It gives them at least a year to decide whether to launch the PS5 with cross platform play.
man, but it's so hard to peek open pandoras box and think you can put it away. I really hope they keep with it.

What's the worst that could actually happen? All your MP games go cross play and everyone buys PS5 for the exclusives and to play with everyone else?

I dunno, it just doesn't sound that bad at all.

Why? Assuming no-one else has, why should Sony be any different? Cross-platform play is a part of modern gaming, very much so now that games run on mobile devices as well as consoles. Sony either are the one player who doesn't join in, or they follow the way culture is going, and in doing so ensure they don't alienate consumers. The way to win this war is to be the one platform everyone wants to be on, and not to be the one platform existing users are afraid to leave.

My next console could either be a console that also lets me play my games on tablet with tablet owning friends and family, or a console locked out of that mobile space. That significant enough to be a buying decision. So better to keep your customers and then have them buy through your portal than lose them entirely.

I just find it difficult to believe they simply are starting to unblock games without some kind of business agreement somewhere to profit from.

I was just being cheeky. Wouldn't it be best if the platform holder is the one who receives the money that the content was bought on, but said content can be played on any platform supported by the game? It's not rocket science. <shrug>

Tommy McClain

Bitching for the win!!!

You read that. What I read is that Sony will announce PS5 before the end of March 2019 for release later in 2019 and want this issue not only to go away, but that that barely nobody remembers it being a thing to begin with.

Looks like Epic will allow merging of multiple accounts in November.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/09/26/fortnite-players-can-merge-their-accounts-in-november/

“For players who created an extra account to play Fortnite on multiple console platforms, we’re working on two things,” the Fortnite account wrote on Twitter. “An account-merging feature to combine Battle Royale purchases [is] coming in November. [And we will] enable unlinking a console from one Fortnite account and relinking to another Fornite account. [That’s] coming in a few days.”

Tommy McClain

You read that. What I read is that Sony will announce PS5 before the end of March 2019 for release later in 2019 and want this issue not only to go away, but that that barely nobody remembers it being a thing to begin with.
no way this leads to that. The relation doesn't seem high.

Why? Assuming no-one else has, why should Sony be any different? Cross-platform play is a part of modern gaming, very much so now that games run on mobile devices as well as consoles. Sony either are the one player who doesn't join in, or they follow the way culture is going, and in doing so ensure they don't alienate consumers. The way to win this war is to be the one platform everyone wants to be on, and not to be the one platform existing users are afraid to leave.

My next console could either be a console that also lets me play my games on tablet with tablet owning friends and family, or a console locked out of that mobile space. That significant enough to be a buying decision. So better to keep your customers and then have them buy through your portal than lose them entirely.

Sony has long allowed cross-play with smartphones and PC though. I'm not saying this isn't good news. But your justification why it's a good news has long existed.

Sony has long allowed cross-play with smartphones and PC though. I'm not saying this isn't good news. But your justification why it's a good news has long existed.
True, but I think the point is more to keep the message clear. There's plenty of 'Sony doesn't let you play Cross Play with other systems'. Sony trying to address to that make the distinction between other consoles and other devices is an impossible communication task, and the logic also isn't there when people see games playing cross-platform on some devices but not others. There are clearly zero technical hurdles and Sony are just coming across as the bad guys. They want to lose that baggage going forwards and have Joe Gamer pick up a PS5 without any concerns about future gaming.

Bitching for the win!!!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-cross-play-with-nintendo-switch-and-xbox-one

To those who said they didn't see the point in complaining, this is why. Complaining gets results!

My hope is that this is the rule and not the exception. Black Ops and Battlefield should follow quickly. This is great for gamers. Now if I want to buy an Xbox for exclusive x, and my friend wants to buy a Playstation for exclusive y, we won't have to worry about playing any of the big online games together.

My advice to people has been to buy the consoles their friends are getting, because having the option to play together is going to give you the best value. Now you won't have to worry so much.

Back