Oculus Quest | Meta Quest 2

wco81

Legend
Well Oculus just announced a fully self-contained, untethered product. Says it doesn't need a PC or a phone.

$399, fully wireless, available spring of 2019.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...less-vr-headset-shipping-spring-2019-for-399/

Promise of around 50 games at launch?

Would people buy this kit for Fortnite VR -- or whatever the popular game is 6 months from now?

Has Facebook's VR push from a year or two ago made people buy and capture VR movies/photos?

Or has there been a lot of polished VR content produced in the last couple of years which will make people buy dedicated HMDs?

i have a go and while it's pretty limited compared to the quest, it is still producing convincing content
i'll certainly buy a quest next spring if an eventual PSVR2 is not announced until then.

From the Ars article...I am surprised its not compatible with existing Rift games. Leave it to BookOfFace to fuck that up and cause fragmentation.

Oculus Quest will not be natively compatible with Oculus Rift software on the PC, but Zuckerberg talked about getting more popular VR games onto the Quest in the future. Another representative clarified that the reverse scenario, of building Quest-compatible games first and porting to Rift, will be a single-button process "with no code changes."

Oculus has confirmed that the screens will sport 1600x1440 resolution per eye—superior to Oculus Rift, and wider than the improved Oculus Go panels—and that the $399 model will include 64GB on-board storage. All Oculus Quest models will include built-in speakers, much like Oculus Go, but the company says these speakers are a new version. Unlike Go, the Quest will include adjustable spacing for its lenses.

We're still waiting to hear the headset's exact 3D-performance specs, including processing power and memory.

Does seem like a no brainer to have a tethered mode, even if they didnt want to dilute the on stage messaging. Maybe they don't want to cannabilise Rift sales.

Yeah if it has it’s own cpu and gpu, battery life has to be an issue.

Probably using some ARM chip?

Yeah if it has it’s own cpu and gpu, battery life has to be an issue.

Probably using some ARM chip?
Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 most probably (Santa Cruz..which was the Quest prototype was running on a SP 835)...so..mobile phone grade stuff.

This feels like do or die moment for VR. If quest flops I don't know what could be done in near future to make VR happen considering what technology can reasonably be applied on 399$ or lower pricepoint.

From the Ars article...I am surprised its not compatible with existing Rift games. Leave it to BookOfFace to fuck that up and cause fragmentation.

I doubt it would be sold for 399$ with touch controllers if it had windows and x86 inside... Maybe it has tethered mode that would allow windows desktop to drive graphics==rift compatibility.

Well it's a souped-up Go, not a portable Rift. The Rift being an x86 PC peripheral means that its software is never going to be directly compatible with standalone ARM headsets.

Maybe its just my prosumer side wishing, but it seems like a no-brainer to allow for it to be used with a PC, even if it means an additional dongle.

If they want this thing to be a massive phenomenon, like hundreds of millions installed base in a few years, PC gaming support is probably going to be niche.

To broaden the appeal, they have to encourage development of content beyond PC games.

If Qualcomm 845 goes into flagship phones which are now approaching $1000, can they afford to put it in a $399 device?

But given the resolution and probably a need for high frame rate, they need some kind of rendering power too.

The 845 does go in the $300 Pocophone as well. Lots of extra hardware with the Quest though.

Qualcomm's XR1 chip is out next year, but sounds like that's underpowered for Quest.

Maybe they'll have a 835 or 710 to save cost.

This feels like do or die moment for VR. If quest flops I don't know what could be done in near future to make VR happen considering what technology can reasonably be applied on 399$ or lower pricepoint.

They could have added a friggin' video input and sensor output, that's what.

Using a mobile ~5W SoC means this will only be good for 180/360º video and a couple of very blocky 3D games.
And for video the S845 isn't even that good, as it's limited to 4K 60FPS because Qualcomm hasn't upgraded the capabilities of their video decoder block since Snapdragon 820.. Samsung SoCs have much faster video engines that support higher resolutions and framerates, starting with the 2.5 year-old Exynos 8890.

And 4K isn't even good for 180º video on VR headsets, let alone 360º.

USB-C VirtualLink was finalized, so I'm really hoping for this to be widely adopted even by standalone headsets.

Last edited by a moderator:
They could have added a friggin' video input and sensor output, that's what.

Using a mobile ~5W SoC means this will only be good for 180/360º video and a couple of very blocky 3D games.
And for video the S845 isn't even that good, as it's limited to 4K 60FPS because Qualcomm hasn't upgraded the capabilities of their video decoder block since Snapdragon 820.. Samsung SoCs have much faster video engines that support higher resolutions and framerates, starting with the 2.5 year-old Exynos 8890.

And 4K isn't even good for 180º video on VR headsets, let alone 360º.

USB-C VirtualLink was finalized, so I'm really hoping for this to be widely adopted even by standalone headsets.

That's why oculus has 3 products, go, quest and rift. If you want expensive awesome thing don't buy a standalone cheap mobile product.

Quest comes with touch controllers and roomscale without extra modules or cables.

Maybe after a couple of iterations, it will be more competitive but not match the Rift setup with a high-end rig.

But they have to move a lot of volume to encourage them to iterate this. That again comes back to content.

It can never catchup with the Rift. A i6500 + GTX970 isn't going to fit into 5W unless we move from silicon to magichandwavium.

At least, not with local rendering. Maybe rendering on the cloud and 5g streaming traversable light fields or some such might be the future for portable devices.

In his annual ramble, Carmack described the Quest as about as powerful as ps360. More video memory but having to run at higher resolution and fps in stereo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back