Q: Will Xbox One get mouse and keyboard support? A: Yes!

dcbronco

Newcomer
In the last few minutes of Phil Spencer's Windows 10 segment he states "While Windows 10 will be getting Xbox, Xbox will be getting Windows 10. Now we don't expect to see millions of Excel documents on Xbox...". That statement along with the Fable cross-platform demonstration lead me to believe it will. I don't see anyone making Excel spreadsheets without a keyboard.

Yes, Windows 10 supports KB+M (and a host of other input methods) so if XB1 is getting Win10, it'll get KB+M support in that part of it. Whether that extends to XB1 games is another question, but it makes little sense to as long as the console is principally played sat on a sofa in front of a TV rather than at a desk.

By comparison, PS3 supported KB+M but no games used it because they focussed on the input method that everyone with the console had & wanted.

Win10 on XB1 is more about getting access to controller-supporting games on the App service (which is every indie title these days ;)) than getting 'PC games' onto the console. Though there shouldn't be any limits, and you can run KB+M games on XB1 assuming it gains a full version of the OS.

It's only too bad we won't be able to fire up PC games on it (or will we?) ;)

Not like it really matters, though the Xbone wouldn't be a horrible HTPC and light PC gaming machine, sans the Jaguar cores.

I do remember using a mouse on the PS3 once or twice for funsies, and a KB on both the PS3 and Xbox 360 for entering in credentials, gamer cards, etc.

War Thunder on the PS4 does support mouse, hell I think it's peripheral support is as robust as the PC version, where pretty much any USB gaming device is supported. I figure it would be a PS4 based property, not a game bound issue. Sony has been so open in the past about letting developers use peripherals, and a flight game most especially should definitely get provisions for supporting any USB compliant control device.

Xbox Wire write-up: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/09/25/mouse-and-keyboard-support-for-xbox-one-developers/

With this new input support at the platform level, developers can now build mouse and keyboard support in their games if and how they choose. It’s important to note that mouse and keyboard support for games is added on a title-by-title basis, entirely at developers’ discretion. For all other titles, nothing changes. Mouse and keyboard input is not enabled by default for games. Each development team knows their titles best and we support them in creating the right experience for their games as they see fit, to ensure an optimal and fair gaming experience. Warframe will be one of the first titles testing mouse and keyboard input when the feature arrives to Insider in the coming weeks.

We’ve been working closely with studios of all sizes to ensure mouse and keyboard experiences on console are fun, fair and correctly balanced, and look forward to introducing more games with support for mouse and keyboard input in the future. Tune into the November 10 edition of Inside Xbox for more details about additional titles supporting mouse and keyboard, and to learn more about our partnership with Razer.

This would be amazing and I hope Sony adopts it too.

I really prefer camera controls the mouse unless it's applied horribly.

Sony already had KB/M support on PS3 and it wasn't used. Even had mouse support on PS1! If they don't do the same, it's with good reason based on experience.

Keyboard already works on PS4 system menu. Dunno with mouse.

KB+M already works for tiny amount of games. For example fortnite.

I think there's a big difference between keyboard and mouse support, and supporting keyboard and mouse..

Just my thoughts on this. MS is extremely deliberate with their messaging since Phil took over, and they've had a long string of connecting features.
From the day they announced play anywhere, that dovetailed to gamepass, that dovetails to their next gen streaming service, which they've also already communicated is coming but has largely left details in the dark.

They've been very careful to release just a little bit of information now to begin the socialization of the feature and then release it in full months later.

If this sounds familiar than, the KB/M is imo a long line of features along a connected path.
1) Xbox One moving to Windows 10 kernel
2) UWP apps
3) Streaming from console to PC
4) Freesync support
5) 120 Hz support
6) Home automation support
7) Keyboard/Mouse support
8) to seeing all the exclusives now show up on PC
9) with gamepass also supporting PC.

This is, at least imo, not the same as tossing out 'support'. Mouse and Keyboard work on Xbox for browsing and such, but they would never had made this such a big deal to go as far as having Razer develop hardware for them on XBox for it.

I mean, you need to consider what Xbox One branded KB/M will be -- because there will be a high chance for an Xbox button (like all their controllers and headsets). And that means you can bind it to a profile... which means XBox should be able to support more than 1 KB/M combo.

They didn't wait this long to just announce 'support' for KB/M. It's certainly going to run much deeper.

This is, at least imo, not the same as tossing out 'support'. Mouse and Keyboard work on Xbox for browsing and such, but they would never had made this such a big deal to go as far as having Razer develop hardware for them on XBox for it.
A counter argument to that - most used controllers on PC Steam by far are XB360 (45%) and XB1 controllers (19%). MS sell XB branded hardware to PC gamers it seems and XB branded KB/M is a way to promote that brand and possibly make a little profit.

A counter argument to that - most used controllers on PC Steam by far are XB360 (45%) and XB1 controllers (19%). MS sell XB branded hardware to PC gamers it seems and XB branded KB/M is a way to promote that brand and possibly make a little profit.
Thats a fair counter argument, but no one in the PC space would buy an Xbox One keyboard for gaming. There are just so many more options that are both likely cheaper and better.

Thats a fair counter argument, but no one in the PC space would buy an Xbox One keyboard for gaming. There are just so many more options that are both likely cheaper and better.

Gotta have it for those Surface gamers. LOL ;)

Tommy McClain

I wouldn't mind a kb that had dedicated Game Bar buttons.

*ahem* Screenshot, DVR record.

The whole "press button to then press another button to screenshot/record" is so asinine. Meanwhile Steam just lets you assign a single key. :rolleyes:

Printscreen can be set to Onedrive, but of course, that means auto-upload and manually moving that stuff to the local folder. sigh. Even Steam *must* auto-convert to jpg, which is annoying on another level.

Can't just keep it simple: Set key. Set output folder. Save uncompressed/png or jpg? That's it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind a kb that had dedicated Game Bar buttons.

*ahem* Screenshot, DVR record.

The whole "press button to then press another button to screenshot/record" is so asinine. Meanwhile Steam just lets you assign a single key. :rolleyes:

Printscreen can be set to Onedrive, but of course, that means auto-upload and manually moving that stuff to the local folder. sigh. Even Steam *must* auto-convert to jpg, which is annoying on another level.

Can't just keep it simple: Set key. Set output folder. Save uncompressed/png or jpg? That's it.
Perhaps there is a small market for that type of thing, but I can't see people tossing their current gear for this xbox keyboard as soon as it arrives.

Gotta have it for those Surface gamers. LOL ;)

Tommy McClain

I'm actually surprised at how well the Surface Book 2 games. The GTX 1060 in does quite well at 1080p. Granted I didn't buy it for gaming and I don't game on it, but it was interesting to test how well it would do with games when I first got it.

Just an overall amazing machine if you can afford it.

Regards,
SB

True. :p

That said, people still buy keyboards at some point or the current stock of keyboards wouldn't still exist. hm...

-----

So, Typing of the Dead, 4K120 HDR 10,000 nits port when? :p

Great game! Epistory is also really good if you've never played it. :)

That said, back to the general conversation. I agree with Iroboto, I don't think many gamer's would jump on an Xbox branded keyboard for PC gameplay. There are far more really REALLY good keyboard choices out there for PC gamers, but relatively few really good console controllers for PC. Same goes for mice.

Regards,
SB

Back